Notices

I did it!!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi Mama - You are doing great and I love following your story. I am going to about 6 meetings a week and that feels just right for me. So find your groove and go for it. Steady as she goes!!
Old 09-19-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Day 16 and staying strong. Getting some housework done and making a great Sunday dinner. Having a really great time sober. Funny, I stay up super late now just hanging out with my hubby and reading or whatever. Whenever I attempted to quit on my own in the past I went to bed super early so that I didn't have to face another minute hungover or without a drink. Now, I love to sit up and post here or read or even just lay in bed talking things over with myself. This is the best feeling I have had in many, many years. I have absolutely no desire to pick up and go back out today and today is my main focus now.

I love looking around my house and not seeing empties, horrible reminders of the night before. I love seeing things clean and tidy and organized which is very much unlike any weekend I have had in a long time.

My motivation is still low as far as working out and stuff but it is coming. I spent a couple of hours this morning just cleaning and reflecting on the last 2 weeks and how great I have felt.

It's a wonderful day to be alive and to be well.

Stay stong all of you...together we can do this.

D.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

"I just love to sit up and<<<or even just lay in bed talking things over with myself."

"Humm, well Your Honor, we just found her laying in bed talking to herself and she was even answering herself."

"Really, well, she seems like a prime candidate for a white coat, lol."

Haha, just kidding, I even have fullfledged convos sometimes, and go whistling about the house. If someone saw me, they'd call the looney bin for sure.

You're doing great and I'm right behind ya, and am proud that you're here.
Thanks for the positive boost.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:21 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Hahaha...that is awesome Fire...I talk to myself frequently and yes, I do answer...nearly everytime.

There are days...

D.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

As day 16 comes to an end I am very thankful for you all. I was not able to make a meeting tonight as I do have a young son and 2 step daughters who actually need me too...sheesh...everybody wants a piece of me. I'm happy to report that I didn't even consider having a drink today...not a hope.

Tomorrow is my quit day for smoking. I have been watching the forums for others who quit smoking during early sobriety and I am going to give it a go. I don't much enjoy it without the beer in my hand and I believe it may be contributing to my headaches as they worsen each time I pound back a ciggy butt...lol.

A good night to you all...have another happy and sober 24!!

Seriously? A dancing banana?

D.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

AA is my treatment, it brings me back down when I am too high, it lifts me up when I am low, get phone numbers, use them. Ask people to do stuff. Enjoy life.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I am glad you went to one, hopefully you get a sponser and use him/her to get help. Sunday I went to an AA picnic, it went well, I felt alittle down tonight, went to a meeting saw my friends, and got through the night. I am going to do some praying now.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:27 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I'm very happy for you, and all my prayers go out for you that this continues to be a welcome place for you, You are doing a great think .
Old 09-19-2010, 08:31 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the board, JS

D
Old 09-19-2010, 08:40 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I am glad you went to one, hopefully you get a sponser and use him/her to get help. Sunday I went to an AA picnic, it went well, I felt alittle down tonight, went to a meeting saw my friends, and got through the night. I am going to do some praying now.
So far, in the last 9 days I have gone to 7 meetings so doing the best that I can. My life does not fit 90 in 90 because of work, school, marriage and 3 kids. I do what I can and I am happy with that. I will find a sponsor soon...I have another ladies meeting on Tuesday and will try to find someone there.

D.
Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Day 17 closes and no, I did not drink and no, I did not desire a drink...woohoo. I went to 2 meetings today as the first one was very emotional and I thought the second would be a pick me up or a reality check. I have not started working on my steps just yet as I have not found a sponsor. I was approached by a seemingly nice woman who offered to get me started on my steps only to find out later that yes, she is sober as far as alcohol is concerned but she is addicted to crack and has not yet given that up. I decided that I should hold out until I find somebody who is truly living in sobriety before I start taking 12 step advice from them.

It has been a very positive day all in all and I can't believe that it's almost 3 weeks. Seems short to all of you old timers but it's an awesome feeling form me!!!

Keep on keeping on all...this sobriety thing fits me just fine...I love being sober and I LOVE sleeping through the night - FINALLY!!!

It's a wonderful day to be alive!!

D.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like some great progress and some wise decisions, D

D
Old 09-20-2010, 10:20 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

awesome Mama!!
yea to restful nights.......

good choice on the sponsor situation too.......
Old 09-20-2010, 10:25 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

I know what you're thinkin, did he fire six shots or only five....oops, sorry mama, slipped away for a second there, lol.

I wonder why you don't want the lady who's still smoking crack to be your sponsor?? LMAO. I wonder if she even realizes she's in no condition to sponsor anyone. Hopefully she'll get off that stuff real soon, that's just murder in a pipe.

WTG on day 17!! I'm on day 12, 13 tomorrow, so I'm not too far behind. Thanks for the inspiration each day.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  
oak

Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
It has been a very positive day all in all and I can't believe that it's almost 3 weeks. Seems short to all of you old timers but it's an awesome feeling form me!!!
I was thinking earlier today that I almost have 3 weeks of sobriety and how precious that sober time is to me. Before today, I had been thinking that it is such a short time. But today it seems so important and precious. For me today, there's an eternal timelessness to sobriety.

I admire your willingness to wait for a sponsor who is right for you.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Firestorm - you make me laugh! Thanks to you all for your kind words. I love posting here at the end of each day, it's kind of a reminder to myself how great this feels.

You all rock and roll!! Here's to another great day!!

D.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:50 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
A work in progress

LOL,

Yeah, active crack addicts tend not to be good sponsor material. I chose my sponsors by noticing who seemed to "walk the talk". The first woman I asked agreed, and she told me a week or two later that she had so much going on with her kids right then she didn't feel she could devote sufficient time to me. She is still a good friend and has taken on sponsees since then. My second sponsor, also a lovely woman, just didn't seem to be someone I felt comfortable with having that kind of relationship with. We just sort of drifted apart. My third (and current) sponsor gently reminded me from time to time that I really should be working the steps with her, and when I told her I was finally ready, she cheered and hugged me, and is encouraging me and very giving of her time and experience. She is good at helping me break down my barriers to personal relationships. And she has already told me that if, at some point, I outgrow her or want to work with someone else, she will understand and support that. She is gently insistent when she needs to be, but not a hardass. She's already got me examining some of my own attitudes and prejudices that get in my way, and I feel my mind and heart cracking open.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:20 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Hey all, day 18 is coming to a close and I have had a great and sober day. I had my first AADAC meeting today and it was great. I will be going every 2 weeks to try to sort out some of the underlying baggage that helped me to get where I am today as an alcoholic. My worker is really great and sees great hope for me and is very positive that I can be helped...lol...whodda thunk it? I am also starting in a women's recovery group through AADAC on Monday and have learned that there is a counsellor there who would be willing to help me through to and including step 5 which is great since my "other" option fell through. I know that between AADAC, AA and my new found friends here on SR I can do this and I can work one day at a time and feel better about myself and the world around me.

No desire to drink today, only a desire to live another day sober and happy. I have been to 10 AA meetings in 12 days and have now found one that I quite like. I can only go 3 or 4 times per week and I am okay with that, completely. I was beating the sh't out of myself when I would have to miss a day...not anymore because I believe that I have armed myself with enough defense between here and my 2 groups and counselling that I can tackle this thing. Will I relapse, I will when it comes to the behaviors that I have to work on and the "flaws" within myself but with alcohol...I like to think not as I am feeling quite strong and have many avenues to take if that urge gets too strong to handle. Never say never, I realize that, but there is nothing wrong with a good defense, lots of prayer and some positive thinking. You know, as a kid my mother used to say, "don't let a little fear and common sense stop you", when I was being an idiot...obviously sarcastic...and omg...what a concept. Fear and common sense. Something that I am just on the verge of seeing as a positive thing in my life.

I love you all and I love this day! Happy travels my fellow SRians...

- WHAT AN AWESOME DAY!!!!

D.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

So happy for you mama, it really is something when you realize you are NOT alone in this. I was feeling very alone and struggling lately, that's what led me here. I'm so happy we're here!
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Hey ma, got any warm biscuits, these here are hard as rocks, lol.

Day 18, then day 19, that's just wonderful! I've got a couple of steamer trunks to dig through too, and lots of spider webs to clear outta the way, so I'm right there with ya.

Hope you have another wonderful, sober day.