Notices

Class of September 2010

Old 10-15-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a Dr, but I used to get headaches from massive caffeine intake too Bob - either too much caffeine or not enough when I woke up in the morning.

It can dehydrate us too - it caused me headaches that way if I wasn't careful.

D
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  
oak

I thought I would try bumping our thread.

Day 47, I think. Doing fairly well. Been cleaning and organizing. Nice to be able to do things since I am sober. I signed up for an indoor rock climbing class. Looking forward to it. Been slowly getting back to martial arts. Trying to find enjoyable things to do so that I feel more fulfilled.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
Old 10-17-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Yowee!

Guess this is my group, it will be 30 days for me this coming Tuesday, the 19th of October. Went to my first actual AA meeting tonight. Nice small group and I just might use it as well as reading here. I'll give them a couple more meetings and see if it is a fit. Hey I got a coin for intent or 24 hours or whatever. Still not sure of the conventions or the rules but hey, not sure of all of them here either. Heck not sure of them day to day come to think of it. Having trouble keeping my thoughts in line, like forgetting what I meant to say in a conversation when another brain cell misfires and takes a left. Some gastric disturbances that were never there before. And this dry itchy skin!

On the other hand, I have five more fingers! Seriously though, the clear head in the morning, the unbelievable energy I feel, the lack of a swollen face in the morning, and the desire to get out and do it all far outweighs the few physiological adjustments that are temporary. And yes I am having regular bloodwork done and am in very good health so the physical/medical aspects are covered. It is the kid in a candy shop feeling that just has me jazzed up! Not anxiety, but trying to go in three directions at once sometimes. Man I can do everything and anything I want to again! Like the little engine that could, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can . . . HP willing and the creek don't rise.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Itchy

D
Old 10-18-2010, 06:31 AM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hi class and welcome itchy. Leo checking in - uneventful weekend, pretty laid back and relaxing. I did work my pt job some and enjoyed some tv shows and did some work around the house.

Today is #48 for me - thankfully I only have fleeting thoughts that seem to be way down on the list these days. The bottle is dead and buried, but I will remain alert at all times so I don't get tricked!! LOL!! Thankfully for me, SR has plenty of material of long term success brought down by tricky thoughts. Those situations remind me to never let my guard down.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:08 AM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Just checking in on....wait for it.... DAY 29!!! Whoop whoop!!! Looking forward to day 30:-). Love the halloween pic Dee - reminds me of....well me with a hangover! It never was a pretty sight and I would say it is a certain that I sported that exact shade of green the morning after
Old 10-18-2010, 08:43 AM
  # 327 (permalink)  

I was an August baby at aug 2nd, but relapsed, and my new clean date is 9/24/10. Not struggling too bad right now, thankfully. Last time the cravings started around the 30 day mark, and continued until my relapse at 52 days.

During those days, I shared about how I was feelings, attended at least one meeting a day (except Sundays), had a sponsor, worked the steps (I am on step 3 for the third time, but I am sure my new sponsor will want me to do it over AGAIN.), prayed, meditated, did whatever I could do not to use, until I finally lost control and overdosed.

They gave me charcoal and sent me to a psychiatric hospital (which I did not need) saying I was suicidal. (I was not, I just overdid it). Spent 11 days there, and have been out and attending meetings again for a couple weeks. Finally saw my sponsor last night, and she suggested I find a new sponsor, because she has done everything in her power to save me.

So, I only have a couple prospects for a sponsor, since I go to meetings in a small town, and in my small town, which is a fifth of the size of the small town I go to meetings in. I am not sure who all is available to sponsor right now, because a lot of them are booked. I know one lady with 4 years, another with 20 (who is actually the first woman's sponsor). My old sponsor had 11 years herself. There are a lot of women around the 4 year mark, but many of them have not worked the steps, and I prefer a sponsor who has worked the steps herself. Preferably the traditions and concepts too, since I plan on doing this before sponsoring anyone (but that is way in the future, so why stress over it?)

What are some good things to look for in a sponsor? I chose my first sponsor because they said "choose someone who has what you want" and she looked happy.

Need advice here!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Day #49 here, or if I lived in the shire, according to Tolkien, it would be my thirtieth-nineteenth day today!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:14 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

OOPS... I forgot to post here on day 30 (yesterday) Today is Day 31 WOOT!
Old 10-19-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

I'm on my 34th day! Feeling great.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  
K8E

Still here. Still sober. One month!
I'm beginning to think I can have one drink here or there. So I NEED TO STOP THAT!!! I know it's a terrible idea and I still have my little bracelet on that I made on day 3 when I felt sick as a dog. So even though the thoughts are there I am reminding myself that they are not an excuse or a reason to think I have control over drinking.
Mood has been up and down but I feel better for the most part just knowing I am making good honest choices.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:54 PM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Day 30 here, and not a drink or a smoke in that time! I simply can't believe it. Had some anxiety yesterday and some digestive tract issues but that is about it, still have the dry skin, sure hope that goes away soonest!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:25 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Everyone is doing so great - keep it up!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to all you 30 dayers!

K8E it is a terrible idea that most of us have grappled with - and I don't know why we have that idea at all - even if we could stick to that just one, what's the point?

after all the havoc and destruction alcohol has caused us all, why would we want even one drink and risk getting sucked back in?

D
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Omigosh! I found another long term witdrawal symptom today, I lost the ability to do simple math!

Today is my fourth week, so it is only 28 days.

My significant harassment pointed that out to me when I told her what day it was. Had a bad anxiety day and a mega frustration with my new came in yesterday computer that is Win 7 64 bit with all the bangs and whistles and it took me three times doing complete wipes and restores on it before I found it was a bad NVidea video driver update from Windows update. From 9 AM to 5 PM iwas only at the about to do a complete restore for the third time when I threw my little frustration tantrum with myself. Did some deep breathing and progressive relaxation and calmed down, and proceeded with a positive attitude that I would lick it last night regardless, and turned it into a challenge. It was midnite before I had it all tweaked and running smoothly.

I can honestly say I was at the end of my rope, so I tied a knot in it, and when I thought that just a month ago (OK, OK a february month! ) it would have been quitting time and time to switch from beer to rum, and throw a self pity party. I found that thought amusing, and was surprised at how I not only didn't need it or crave it, but realized that I had the energy to do it with a clear mind, and bad things happen whether I am drinking or sober, but I can handle the problem solving and have the energy to finish now like I haven't in years! Despite my anger and frustration I could calm down and not turn to alcohol or smokes. ( I will admit I went through about twenty mints and three glasses of Ice tea in about 10 minutes though) My attention to detail is back, and no matter where I turn I find how I was pretty much disorganized for the last year and a half. Several projects left half finished or materials in place and didn't even start. I was a bit overwhelmed at first, and then realized they are the perfect occupational therapy for me for the next month or so. Being retired has its advantages. I used to think being able to drink in the mornings was one of them, I could gradually feel better by noon. It is so much easier to feel great the minute I wake up. It will only get better I am sure, as my internal synapses heal and get redirected.

Yay September group! I hope all of ya are hanging in there and getting more zing by the day. We are all going through the same thing! Strangers in a strange land, Grok that?

Now in addition (pun int.) to my visits here and once a week AA, I will be attending remedial math courses to learn that 4X7 does not equal 30.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  
Administrator

consider me grokked Itchy

D
Old 10-19-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

33 days here and feeling strong. I will beat this!
Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  
oak

Welcome Itchy! I hate dry skin too. I hope that gets better very soon.

I am okay. Beginning of Day 50 which is exciting. Feeling shaky around sobriety. But also fairly repulsed by alcohol thankfully.
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Red face

You go guys!
Oak I am surprised I ever started drinking because I actually don't like it much taste wise. Hope I can say I will be shaky at day 50 too.

"Happiness and a meaningful life come from making differences. But this is the most important rule to follow: Always make the differences you can make, not the differences you would prefer to make but can't. As you keep making differences, your skill will automatically and effortlessly increase. Anything human beings repeat they get more skillful at. Including misery!"
Lyndon Duke
Old 10-22-2010, 06:37 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  
K8E

I can't believe I made it through last night without drinking. I'm so relieved! My husband took the kids away for a short trip and so I knew I'd be alone for 2 days and nights. I had that little voice telling me I could drink. It's been nagging away in the back of my head for days. Thinking I could buy one bottle of wine and then drink it over two nights. I even thought about how I could hide the bottle. They'd never know etc. OMG when did I become so crazy!!
Anyway the good news is that even in an empty house I didn't do it.
It's a minor miracle for me and my closets are VERY tidy too now!! LOL