Notices

No booze after Labor Day

Old 09-09-2010, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

No booze after Labor Day

Hi, I'm new and my last drink was on Labor Day. Actually, had many drinks that day and according to an outgoing text to my telephone drinking buddy, it was 12:45 p.m. Pathetic as it was, I remember feeling proud of myself that I made it to the p.m. hours as some days, that's just not possible. Yep, while most of you were probably hanging with friends, family and grandkids and flipping burgers, I was isolating in my apartment and swilling Vodka-Lemonaids.

I'm female, fifty and NOT fabulous. Youngest left home 7 years ago, her brother 3 years before that. Needless to say, I was not the best mom in the world, but of course the relationship is strained and I just thank God they're both in touch from time to time and treat me well. I am blessed.

I tried AA in the '80,s... and the '90's... and a brief stint in 2008 after my last divorce. I know AA works, I just have never been able to stick with it for any length of time. Hoping this time will be different. Sometimes hope is all we have. Thanks for listening.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tempe,

Welcome!

I understand the isolating very well. I always chose to drink alone, and gradually dropped out of activities, gave up a course I was taking, let me friends fall away and almost lost my family. I was completely isolated with my drinking.

I'm not an AA person either, but it does work for many. I use SR as my lifeline and have been here for years. I hope you continue to read and post.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Tempe
You'll find a lot of support here.

To me, I started to move forward when I accepted my drinking was bad for me, it was always going to be that way...and that I was DONE with that.

I hope you've reached that point too
D
Old 09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family!

Old 09-09-2010, 07:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I just had to stop in before I go to bed. I've done some reading and am realizing already this place is going to help me so very much. Although I know there are millions and millions of alcoholics, why is it that I feel like the only one? I'm the blacksheep of the family for a myriad of reasons, but most in my family don't even like the taste of alcohol. Needless to say, I've spent a LOT of time alone through the years...
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Tempe - Well, you're not alone anymore, and life can be good again. It takes a little time to get used to being sober and for our bodies to heal, but with support, we really do get better. I love coming here because it's available whenever I get antsy. Look forward to hearing more from you!:ghug3
Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Tempe, I'm glad you're here. Sometimes hope is all we have.

Toward the end, I drank alone, too. I didn't want people to see how drunk I got. I wouldn't answer the phone, send email, or text after a certain time each night.

I hope you're able to find something that resonates with you so you don't have to continue to be alone in this. There are lots of us floating around.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Tempe,

Welcome! I'm glad you are giving sobriety another go. As you know, it doesn't get any better on its own. We have to really want it and really work it. Keep reading and posting. I've learned a lot here and got great support. And I've seen some miracles happen here too.

Do you have a plan? I've used AA and Rational Recovery. Plus some counseling. It's really helped me.

Love,

Lenina
Old 09-09-2010, 10:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.......

When I quit drinking at 52....I had no idea that alcoholism
was a disease....cronic ..progresisve and fatal.

All I wanted was to end the depression that had
become my daily companion.
Yes...that happened for me as a result of sobriety.

Yes...I too was a black sheep to my non drinkeing family.
With my recovery...I have made amends and most of the
rifts have been bridged. Hope yours will be too...

Good to see you here with us....many of us are winning
back our lives. Yes! you can too!
Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Tempe!!!

SR is a great lifeline for me...reading and posting here has clarified a lot for me. I look forward to seeing you around:-)
Old 09-10-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Day 4 is winding down and I'm nervous about the weekend, not because it's the weekend, but because I always see to slip on day 6. I'm hoping and praying that won't happen this time. The support here is awesome and I am so grateful to each of you who posted and to the entire community here.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome Tempe. You really are not alone. Many of us could spend soooooo much time looking back at all the things we did. All the people we hurt. All the bad decisions and embarrassment. Look forward now. Do what you gotta do to stay sober.

You will find a lot of support here. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Tempe View Post
Thanks all. Day 4 is winding down and I'm nervous about the weekend, not because it's the weekend, but because I always see to slip on day 6. I'm hoping and praying that won't happen this time. The support here is awesome and I am so grateful to each of you who posted and to the entire community here.
Tempe, I always slipped long before day 6 in the past, before coming to this site and guess what? I am almost done day 7. It hasn't been easy but every time I feel just plain awful I stop by here, read a few posts and put my 2 cents worth in. It is helping me...I am certain it will help you as well.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:42 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You're labor day was my memorial day this year. Drunk, by myself. all day pretty much. Don't remember much of it -- just patches. . .blackouts. And i was with my kids. .. talk about a wake up call. Duh. So i was done. a few days later. Haven't had anything since 6/4!
Old 09-10-2010, 06:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aehmnm View Post
You're labor day was my memorial day this year. Drunk, by myself. all day pretty much. Don't remember much of it -- just patches. . .blackouts. And i was with my kids. .. talk about a wake up call. Duh. So i was done. a few days later. Haven't had anything since 6/4!
Congrats on an entire summer sober! I'm hoping in 3 months to say that about a sober autumn! I haven't gone an entire season sober since winter 1984-1985 when I was pregnant with my youngest.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Tempe... and congrats on your sober time. You mentioned you haven't got passed day 6, well this time I know you will be able to do it-- stay strong and one day at a time... of 10 minutes at a time... whatever it takes.

Everyone here is very supportive, friendly, and understanding.... so if you need to talk someone is always around SR.

Do you know what triggers you to drink prior to day 6? If you do know what triggers you, do you have a plan for getting passed it this time?

Glad you have joined this community Tempe.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
part time member

Lots to read and do here. Keep reading and posting.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tempe....Welcome and so glad you are sharing.

I too isolated on many holidays.....alone, drinking in the house. I also felt....i was the only one living the nightmare. Everyone else out and about and me wrapped up inside....drinking till I passed out. Praying no one would call or show up and know just how bad it was.

I am glad you are here and sober. That my friend IS fabulous!

There are different options of support so if one doesn't seem to fit then try another. I personally do a combo of SR, Counseling and a lot of self-help.

SR has been an invaluable tool for me from the beginning and the fact it is 24/7 and readily accessible wherever I am.....yeahhhh.

You can do this and I am glad you are here with us. Believe me....we get it!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This is day 5, and has been the first day I've been tempted - that's why I've been right here the past hour or so.

Triggers... yes, I suppose I have triggers, I know I have triggers, but sometimes there is NO trigger and that mental haze just surrounds and envelops me - it's almost otherworldly in that I feel in a subconscious state or something after 4 days of reality and relatively clear thinking. Ugh. Guess that's one of the cunning, baffling aspects of alcoholism.

I just reread the previous paragraph and I'm sure it won't make sense and am just hoping no one thinks I'm in a psychotic state or trance or anything - guess it's just that stinkin' thinkin' turned up a notch.

Anyway, for listening.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

If nothing else, sitting here - reading & posting - helped get me through many a fog Tempe

D