Notices

Day one, once again

Old 09-09-2010, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day one, once again

I've quit drinking many times before--this is day one for the 101st time. I'm sick of thinking about drinking, worrying about drinking, talking about drinking. I'm done! A great help to me has been Caroline Knapp's book, "Drinking: A Love Story". This website looks like a good resource, too.

I'm 52, live in the Midwest with my three cats, and am one of those high functioning alcoholics. My nightly wine ritual is so ingrained...I've been drinking for about 30 years. How's that for scary?
Old 09-09-2010, 11:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. I didn't realize how much I thought about drinking all day, every day until after I quit. My world revolved around alcohol. Now my mind is so much more peaceful and has room for other thoughts now that alcohol is out of the picture.

Best of wishes for you. Great support on this board. However if you find you need more I encourage you to try other avenues. Stick with us.
Old 09-09-2010, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i don't know about scary. .. i drank for about 27 years. .. .till the nightly wine ritual got to be too much. . .and started invading days to get through. ..

This is my first time quitting. ..and i don't want to have another day one!

Good luck, and welcome to SR.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi PrairieFire

Yeah I remember how it felt to realise I'd been drinking daily for as long as I could remember...

Welcome to SR. It is a great place for help and support

D
Old 09-09-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hello and welcome Praire!
Old 09-09-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope we can be of help to you in choosing a better life for yourself.
Old 09-09-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Prairie!

I'm from the midwest with three cats, too!
I also just finished reading Drinking: A Love Story. Two nights ago, actually. It was my story to a T.

It was a challenge for me to find things to occupy my time at night when I get home from work. I, too, am a "high functioning alcoholic", though at times, when drunk, I'm sure I appear to be QUITE the opposite of that.

I'm just taking time to explore myself again, though at times that has been easier said than done.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

Caroline Knapp's book was truly a turning point for me. I knew that if she could do it, I could do it too. It was the first time I truly related to someone with an addiction.

You will find lots of support here.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Prairie - Welcome. You and I share some things (except I have dogs not cats) - but other things sound similiar. Caroline Knapp's book was huge to me and the day I started reading it I stopped drinking - that was exactly 3 weeks ago to the day. I am now reading her book, "Pack of Two" which I am just loving. Stick with the forum and you will learn quite a bit and find support - some good people here. I was afraid of AA and bit bullet and went and have been going for past couple of weeks. I had to try something different this time if I want things to be different with my drinking - like NOT!!
Old 09-09-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Prairie! Welcome! Yes, 30 is scary. And 40 was scary for me! So glad you and all the other shipmates like Caroline Knapp's book so much! It really broke me up when I learned she had died, of cancer. What an honest and courageous person she was! And I guess what she wrote is helping folks like us long after she is gone. Maybe she's up there somewhere looking in on this website!
Good luck and every good wish to you. Keep in touch if there's anything we can do!

W.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to SR, Prarie! (Two cats here!) You're in the right place, so keep reading and posting!:ghug3
Old 09-09-2010, 10:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome.

I know its tough and I hope you find what you need.

On a positive note, at least you realize that you have a ritual. Many times active alcoholics and addicts don't. Realizing that you have a ritual and need to do something about is a wonderful first step in recovery.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

When I quit drinking I was 52...working and living alone
in D.C.....yes, I had a Siamese
Outwardly there was no reason to seek sobriety.

The spur for me to quit? Depression. My alcoholism had made
me detest the woman I had become.

With recovery....I've found a fantastic new life...full of
joy....friends that understand and a deep sense of peace.

All my best....glad to see you here....
Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I fled the DC area in 1993 (with one cat) and have been enjoying life in the flatlands ever since. I'm 52 right now, and ready to start over on the inside. Thanks so much for your support.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, Priarie. I found this Forum about a week ago and it's great. These folks are wonderful. They have already helped me to get focus on where I want to go and what I want to do with my life, which is stay alive and stay sober.

I drank 29 years, hard alcohol, started at 16. May of 2007, my kidneys finally quit working, was on a machine for 5 weeks, then God gave my kidneys back. Last May, I gave in and thought "one is OK" but then it was 2 then 3 sometimes 4 or 5. After a trip to the ER a week ago Wednesday, that was it. 9 days now. And this time my resolve is 100%. I'm gonna do this. You can do it.

PS: I have 5 cats. Can't let them down! Hang in there, we'll be here.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome. I have one cat >^..^< I drank 12 or so beers a day for over 10 years, I'm 36 and I live in Texas. This is a great forum, it's a big help!