Notices

I thought I was okay...

Old 09-09-2010, 07:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hunt posed the relapse question on another section...I will see if I can find it. Relapsing isfnot another chance to drink again...it is another chance to have to go through withdrawal and detox again...do you really want to go there?

I think we pretty much have to accept that only people in recovery will really understand what it is about. Other people don't really want to understand, imo. There is too much worry for them that one day it might be them.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by mama36 View Post
I have a question - I have read SO many posts about people who fell off the wagon and are trying so hard to get back on again, this seems to happen for a long period. I am in the same boat, I quit all the time but this is the first time I have tried it here, ordered the big book, and plan on going to meetings. Does the fact that all of these people feel doomed to fall mean that it has to happen that way? I feel like "if they did it maybe I can too"...drink another time I mean. Is that just my mind telling me that it is okay to drink one more day and then try again tomorrow? I want to do that, but I don't want to at the same time cause here I am on day 6...yay...
Relapse is not inevitable Mama..there's no reason why you can't keep doing what you've been doing for the past 6 days...keep up the work and you'll be fine.

I don't recommend relapsing...I guarantee you'd find it not worth it.
Read around and you'll see the same thing said a hundred times.

Stay the course - you'll be glad you did

D
Old 09-09-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I had a terrible day, it was just awful but I did not drink...I did, however buy a pack of smokes because even though it may sound like a lame excuse, I feel like I need some sort of vice...pathetic. Doing both at the same time is not an option, maybe in a month or two once I get on track. I have found an AADAC counsellor to see and that makes me happy. I am really scared of the meetings for some reason. I am trying to get up the nerve to go and see what it is all about and sit and listen to what people have to say. I am terribly scared though.

I don't know what to do...can anyone please help me? Is it better to do the AADAC Counselling one on one or go to meetings, or both?
Old 09-09-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't do counselling or AA, but I think it's good to get as much support as you can get.
At least try both - you can always reconsider later - what have you got to lose?

D
Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't do counselling or AA, but I think it's good to get as much support as you can get.
At least try both - you can always reconsider later - what have you got to lose?

D
Dee how do you manage without the counselling or AA? As I have mentioned I quite for 4.5 years and it didn't bother me, not ever until one day when I first my my husband and he like to have a few, not an alcoholic, and I thought I could trust myself with him. This time I know that is not the case and it is a real struggle. Not drinking is tough but somehow I think that I have to get help for any underlying reasons that I may have abused it all of these years.

I wish I was stronger and could just stop. When I have quit in the past I drank a lot of 0.5% beer and I guess maybe just that little bid fed my body enough to take the edge off...I don't know.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

not to be facetious Mama, but nearly dying from my drinking really focused my resolve.

I may not do counselling or AA but I do a lot of work every day - I do a lot of helping others here for example, which in turn helps me....

I do a lot of self maintenance to make sure I'm not slipping into old patterns...and I make sure I'm contact with other recovery folks each and every day.

Rather than repeat myself too much - I wrote this a while back about what I did, and still do.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2531003

What I did worked for me...you have to find what works for you Mama.

I do think face to face support - whether it's counselling, AA, or some other kind of thing - must make it easier tho.

D
Old 09-09-2010, 06:55 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dee,

I don't know your story but that post was great and inspiring.

Thanks very much!