Notices

What did you do instead of drinking?

Old 09-03-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What did you do instead of drinking?

I am trying to recreate new habits. So I'm thinking of doing a more healthful thing with my body. I was thinking yoga and other such things but in general I'd have to leave the house to do that and I'm trying to sort of "ground myself" to stay at home for a while.

Do any of you have suggestions of "new" habits you developed while trying to stop drinking?
Old 09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

One thing I´ve found really helpful is meditation. Especially when listening to meditation music at the same time and observing my breathing, letting thoughts pass. Guided meditations are good in the beginning. Exercising is good, unfortunately I haven´t quite established a good routine yet. I have often exercised at home, dvd:s or cross training (on a machine I have at home.) Still rather new to sobriety myself, although I´ve been a binge drinker so I´m used to having longer periods of abstinence also.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it is important to get back to being a participant in life, since usually addiction ultimately makes you a spectator in life.

However, if you want to "ground" yourself for the time being and learn how to yoga, then purchase some yoga tapes or browse the internet for yoga material. Sometimes there are yoga shows on tv.

I think you can have your cake and eat it too. You can easily stay home and do yoga at the same time.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read alot and still do read, work puzzles, and took rides (didn't have to interact but got me out of the house when it was my trigger time). It's been about a month and a half so am just now going out. Signed up for an exercise class to start in a couple of weeks. Good luck.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Goodman

we have a whole list of things to do sober here:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

D
Old 09-03-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Looooooong walks kept me grounded and busy... Meditation too. I started reading again. And posting and reading here at SR, of course
Old 09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

there is so much that i can do at home now that i'm sober! gardening this past spring summer, creating a new garden, walking with my newly adopted rescue pup...dogs, need a sober companion to take care of them and we are BOTH responsible for my recovery....my house is somewhat cleaner, i no longer live out of the dryer, i put my clean clothes away...I now have clean bathrooms and my home is my clean, peaceful sober sanctuary....I live somewhat close to the beach so i can take a drive to visit...because sober folks can drive anytime!!

I remember the books I read, enjoy a real newspaper and magazine, and even regular TV is better sober.

My world is much larger when i'm sober. i appreciate that.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ride a motorcycle.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Goodman,

I think yoga is a great idea. I do yoga at home and I use DVD's.

As others have said, meditation is great too.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Goodman, I always drank after work. I'm 16 days sober now. I replaced my alcohol time with exercise. Even if it was only walking for an hour. It has helped me immensely.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:47 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

why you gotta leave home to do yoga? I do it every morning before my meeting. . .you can do it on your own or get a dvd. . .

I read, workout, knit. . .lots of things i haven't done in a while. . .and really enjoyed.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Just bought a book on my iPad, watching College football on ESPN and lurking on SR.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am 48 days without drinking and am getting a lot more accomplished at home.

I am clearing out some of the woods on my property, using the chainsaw and clearing new paths

Push mowing about three acres of lawn/pastures

Resurrecting some of my gardens that had just about disappeared

This one had completely disappeared to the weeds. I hope it will look like this next year!

I'd like to get back into agility with my dogs, and rebuild some og the agility equipment I had