Notices

Why am i a monster when i drink?

Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

So here’s a little something from my experiences. When I first started getting blackout drunk and into nasty mode; it was shortly after my gf of 2 years slept with a friend of mine whilst I was at my grandfathers funeral. At the time I didn’t really understand what was going on but with some reflection I can see I was devastated. I’d lost my grandfather, girlfriend and a lot of trust for my friends all in one hit. I was full of hurt, rage and mistrust but instead of dealing with it I got blind drunk and it all came out at however was nearby regardless of whether they deserved it or not. Sometimes being a mean drunk is masking something else. Not always, some people are just terrible humans!

I’ve also had 2 relationships breakdown since then from my drinking. I’m now 35 and have only recently realised a lot about myself and my drinking. Again; with hindsight I can see that the two ladies in question always felt second place to the bottle and knew I was covering something over. It probably hurt them no end that I would get distant and cold (never nasty or abusive though). They probably don’t realise that I always felt worthless and they deserved better when I was in that state. Unfortunately; this became a self fulfilling prophecy and they both left feeling like I was just pushing them away. At the time; I didn’t really realise what I was doing. I just never stopped running from myself and my problems since I was young and feeling like my world had been crushed. I’d like very much to explain to both these ladies what I now know (it won’t make a difference but it’s be nice to at least express that I DID care even if I was terrible at showing it). I’ll wrap this up by saying they both did the right thing; they moved on to a place in life where they were happier. I hold no resentment.

Ultimately; I may not be anything like the guy you’re referring to. This is just my personal experience. I honestly feel like you should look after yourself as top priority; this doesn’t sound like a healthy relationship. The analogy I use for dealing with addicts is it’s like trying to stop a runaway train. If ou stand in its way; it’ll plow you down. The best you can do is stand by the side of the track and make hand signals from a safe distance. Honestly; you may never understand or fully comprehend this guys motivations or addiction. Make sure it doesn’t cause you anymore hurt whatever you decide to do from here on out. Hope this helps a bit.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:49 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Mean Drunk

Originally Posted by DangerZone View Post
I have the same problem. It led me to hate myself. Now that I'm sober I am back to liking myself again.

I think it is important to remember that like any drug alcohol affects different people in different ways. Some people alcohol it brings out the best and some people it brings out the worst.

There is a saying that a drunk person is the 'real you.' Don't believe that bs.. It is not the real you. It is you under the influence of a drug. The real you is the sober you.
Thank you for your reply and your honesty. All of your input is helping me to try and understand. It’s one thing going to Al-Anon meetings but it’s another to hear stories from those affected by alcoholism.

My ex is a mean, cruel, heartless, emotionless and cold drunk. Someone that he is not sober. I guess the longer he drinks the less he’ll feel. This is what I’m understanding. I think that’s why he chooses to drink because his anger masks any pain that he’s feeling. He did tell me that he buried all memories of him and I and I couldn’t understand why he would want to do that.....I know addiction is very complex and there aren’t any guidelines but it’s been a real eye opener the damage that it can cause. How it can turn someone into someone they are not.

So I am assuming that as long as he is drinking he will remain being this monster???
Old 01-15-2018, 02:53 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what device you are using but you should find a new thread button

somewhere on this page:

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...mers-recovery/

hit the new thread button make up a title and then treat it like another other post

on an iphone its a little different:

You should see a button in the lower left corner of the screen labelled "forums". Use this to navigate to the forum you want to post in. The compose button is in the upper right corner and looks like a box with an arrow. It should give you the option to create a new thread.
Originally Posted by VerySadandHurt View Post
Good morning D,

How do I make my own thread? Thank you for taking the time to answer me....it’s so hard to understand. He went from super amazing never wanting to lose me when he wasn’t drinking as much to a couple kpkete monster not even caring whether or not he loses me. I don’t know if I’ll ever hear from him again. This occurred when he was drinking all the time. He became angry like I did something horrible to him or like I was a stranger on the street. It’s so hard to understand as a non drinker.

Thank you,

K

D
[/QUOTE]
Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Thank you for your reply and your honesty. All of your input is helping me to try and understand. It’s one thing going to Al-Anon meetings but it’s another to hear stories from those affected by alcoholism.

My ex is a mean, cruel, heartless, emotionless and cold drunk. Someone that he is not sober. I guess the longer he drinks the less he’ll feel. This is what I’m understanding. I think that’s why he chooses to drink because his anger masks any pain that he’s feeling. He did tell me that he buried all memories of him and I and I couldn’t understand why he would want to do that.....I know addiction is very complex and there aren’t any guidelines but it’s been a real eye opener the damage that it can cause. How it can turn someone into someone they are not.

So I am assuming that as long as he is drinking he will remain being this monster???
I can only speak for myself but I know no matter how hard I tried whenever I drank I turned into that same person that I hated. There'd be a few instances where I wouldn't turn into that person but those were few and far between.

Also, in my experience all my friends, family members and past girlfriends have pretty much always turned into the same drunk version of themselves that I would get to know over the years. Now I don't mean they turned into a monster. Most of them were happy drunks, some were sad, some were loud etc. But that drunk version of them was always consistent.

So in my humble opinion yes he will remain being that monster if he continues to drink.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing

Originally Posted by Bluemilk View Post
So here’s a little something from my experiences. When I first started getting blackout drunk and into nasty mode; it was shortly after my gf of 2 years slept with a friend of mine whilst I was at my grandfathers funeral. At the time I didn’t really understand what was going on but with some reflection I can see I was devastated. I’d lost my grandfather, girlfriend and a lot of trust for my friends all in one hit. I was full of hurt, rage and mistrust but instead of dealing with it I got blind drunk and it all came out at however was nearby regardless of whether they deserved it or not. Sometimes being a mean drunk is masking something else. Not always, some people are just terrible humans!

I’ve also had 2 relationships breakdown since then from my drinking. I’m now 35 and have only recently realised a lot about myself and my drinking. Again; with hindsight I can see that the two ladies in question always felt second place to the bottle and knew I was covering something over. It probably hurt them no end that I would get distant and cold (never nasty or abusive though). They probably don’t realise that I always felt worthless and they deserved better when I was in that state. Unfortunately; this became a self fulfilling prophecy and they both left feeling like I was just pushing them away. At the time; I didn’t really realise what I was doing. I just never stopped running from myself and my problems since I was young and feeling like my world had been crushed. I’d like very much to explain to both these ladies what I now know (it won’t make a difference but it’s be nice to at least express that I DID care even if I was terrible at showing it). I’ll wrap this up by saying they both did the right thing; they moved on to a place in life where they were happier. I hold no resentment.

Ultimately; I may not be anything like the guy you’re referring to. This is just my personal experience. I honestly feel like you should look after yourself as top priority; this doesn’t sound like a healthy relationship. The analogy I use for dealing with addicts is it’s like trying to stop a runaway train. If ou stand in its way; it’ll plow you down. The best you can do is stand by the side of the track and make hand signals from a safe distance. Honestly; you may never understand or fully comprehend this guys motivations or addiction. Make sure it doesn’t cause you anymore hurt whatever you decide to do from here on out. Hope this helps a bit.
Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage and I recognize that. Like yourself I know there were triggers for my ex and I don’t think it was just about him and I.....he refuses to speak to me so I doubt I will ever find out unless something miraculous happens. It feels like around every corner he tries to find a reason to hate me and he was never like that before. I guess it’s his way of getting what he wants and me not being in the way of it. I know that the fact that he would detox he was probably drinking more than I initially thought or that he’s admitted. How much would one have to drink for their eyes to become dilated???
Old 01-15-2018, 03:28 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing your story. It takes a lot of courage and I recognize that. Like yourself I know there were triggers for my ex and I don’t think it was just about him and I.....he refuses to speak to me so I doubt I will ever find out unless something miraculous happens. It feels like around every corner he tries to find a reason to hate me and he was never like that before. I guess it’s his way of getting what he wants and me not being in the way of it. I know that the fact that he would detox he was probably drinking more than I initially thought or that he’s admitted. How much would one have to drink for their eyes to become dilated???
I’m afraid I really couldn’t answer the question about pupil dilation, I’m no medical professional.

In all honesty; it was only after I began to tackle my problem drinking I began to realise the root causes. It took me 15 years of drinking and running from myself to realise this. It sounds like there may be an underlying problem he’s struggling to deal with but there’s really nothing you can do. This guys going to have to WANT to face whatever’s going on and only he can do that. Don’t get me wrong; I understand why it’s confusing and hurtful! But it’s unlikely to get better until he wants it to.

I’ll be honest; it’s kind of hard writing these posts as it’s making me realise how I’ve made people feel in the past. I guess this is helping us both
Old 01-15-2018, 03:37 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you..:)

I’m afraid I really couldn’t answer the question about pupil dilation, I’m no medical professional.

In all honesty; it was only after I began to tackle my problem drinking I began to realise the root causes. It took me 15 years of drinking and running from myself to realise this. It sounds like there may be an underlying problem he’s struggling to deal with but there’s really nothing you can do. This guys going to have to WANT to face whatever’s going on and only he can do that. Don’t get me wrong; I understand why it’s confusing and hurtful! But it’s unlikely to get better until he wants it to.

I’ll be honest; it’s kind of hard writing these posts as it’s making me realise how I’ve made people feel in the past. I guess this is helping us both
As I said before thank you for sharing. I recognize that it must not be easy and I appreciate your efforts in trying to help me understand. If that means it helps with your healing as well then that’s a wonderful thing. Please remember that you gave recognized things and that is the biggest miracle out of all of this. So don’t feel badly. If it’s any constellation if my ex ever did approach me I would forgive him. As long as he’s sober and I’m sure those in your past have as well....and you need to forgive yourself as well....as you know addiction takes over and you did the right thing by fighting it! That means your amazing!..
Old 01-15-2018, 03:55 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

verysadandhurt,
please visit the friends and family of alcoholics forum here. theres some great stickies at the top of the forum for reading.
theres some excellent support and advise(for YOUR recovery and healing) from people that have been in your shoes. some great folks over there willing to help and suport ya on the journey.
something i want to add,just in case ya may feel it:
you didnt cause it
you cant control it
you cant cure it.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:11 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
verysadandhurt,
please visit the friends and family of alcoholics forum here. theres some great stickies at the top of the forum for reading.
theres some excellent support and advise(for YOUR recovery and healing) from people that have been in your shoes. some great folks over there willing to help and suport ya on the journey.
something i want to add,just in case ya may feel it:
you didnt cause it
you cant control it
you cant cure it.
Thanks sweetie! That means the world to me! I’ll pray for you and your journey of recovery.. You are an angel for sharing with me.. I know it wasn’t easy..

God Bless..
Old 01-15-2018, 04:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

As I said before thank you for sharing. I recognize that it must not be easy and I appreciate your efforts in trying to help me understand. If that means it helps with your healing as well then that’s a wonderful thing. Please remember that you gave recognized things and that is the biggest miracle out of all of this. So don’t feel badly. If it’s any constellation if my ex ever did approach me I would forgive him. As long as he’s sober and I’m sure those in your past have as well....and you need to forgive yourself as well....as you know addiction takes over and you did the right thing by fighting it! That means your amazing!..
I hope it does help! I honestly wasn’t trying to turn it around onto myself, although I do thank you for your kind words. I guess it just struck a personal chord with me. As I said before and others have said; it’s not your fault. You can’t control the situation. The truth of the matter is it’s often easier to bury your head in the sand and keep drinking than face the addiction. So whatever you do; don’t let it drag you down as well.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:08 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you.

I hope it does help! I honestly wasn’t trying to turn it around onto myself, although I do thank you for your kind words. I guess it just struck a personal chord with me. As I said before and others have said; it’s not your fault. You can’t control the situation. The truth of the matter is it’s often easier to bury your head in the sand and keep drinking than face the addiction. So whatever you do; don’t let it drag you down as well.
I actually just went to an open speaker meeting to hear someone’s story and boy was it an eye opener. I related to so many of my ex’s behaviour through the speaker. I’m glad that I came to hear the other side....it really did give me some food for thought. I wish you well with your recovery....I pray that you all get well..
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Dialated pupils are more a sign of simulant use like coke or meth. Perhaps there is more to this story than alcohol.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:17 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Really?

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Dialated pupils are more a sign of simulant use like coke or meth. Perhaps there is more to this story than alcohol.
Really??? But I understood that alcohol could do you his as well???
Old 01-16-2018, 07:23 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Really??? But I understood that alcohol could do you his as well???
they can be constricted or dilated with alcohol.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:05 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Thanks

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
they can be constricted or dilated with alcohol.
His were very big. I’m presuming it’s because he drank quite a bit! Or he had been drinking for a lengthy period of time...
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

The best thing for you is to put yourself first and look after yourself. You are worth so much more than this. You'll probably never understand why he does what he does - he probably doesn't understand himself. He will continue to abuse and be awful to you for as long as you let him.

The best thing for you for your own emotional wellbeing is to leave him in the past, as an ex. Going round and round trying to understand him or work out why he said and did what he said and did and whether he meant it will jut exhaust you. I've been on both sides, as the drinker and as the partner of a drinker who said and did things he couldn't remember the next day. It's an emotional rollercoaster. I see now I was half addicted to the drama thinking it was love and always hoping for that 'perfect' man he used to be. Or so I thought he was. he wasn't and it wasn't a perfect relationship either. I know I was insecure, needy and a bit of a rescuer about me too, hoping to 'save' him, to be the one who could do that.

A good read is "Codependence no more" which made me see why I did what I did and stopped me from getting into the same relationships over and over again. I had to put me first and stop trying to rescue and change others.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:05 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I actually just went to an open speaker meeting to hear someone’s story and boy was it an eye opener. I related to so many of my ex’s behaviour through the speaker. I’m glad that I came to hear the other side....it really did give me some food for thought. I wish you well with your recovery....I pray that you all get well..
I have to tell you my experiences, because #1, I can relate to you, VerySad. In my first marriage, my husband was an alcoholic. Like you, he kept it from me until after we were married. It was Hell on Earth when he'd drink; it was Heaven when he wouldn't. We were together for nearly ten years, and in that span, he would quit for a month or two, but inevitably, he would take it back up again. I had not been a drinker in my marriage. I would drink socially, but I was always on edge, worried about how much he'd had/ was having, that I was always scared to have more than a drink or two; even in social settings.

I was hit, thrown out of the house in the dead of winter with two small kids, told terrible, cruel things about how he "really felt" about me. I was raised that divorce is out of the question for a Christian so the fear of "sinning" kept me tied to my marriage; fighting against his "Heaven and Hell" to pull it together and give him just one more chance. Then one day I broke. And I left. So I feel your pain.

Fast forward 7 years, and I am on this forum, not as the spouse of an alcoholic; but as one who has in turn become one. I can't blame him for that. But I have used him as an excuse in the past.

I came from a very religious, abusive home. Almost five years ago, my father died while we were not on speaking terms. I began to suffer form terrible dreams (both of the things he had put me through as a child, and the things my ex had put me through as an adult). I turned to alcohol at first as a sleep agent, then as a crutch, and finally as a full-on addiction.

I can say that I have lived on both sides of this coin, and it is horrible from either side. There are no winners. I always used to ask myself, "Why won't he change?" Then when I became an alcoholic; "Why can't I change?" I have condemned myself so, so many times for knowing, for LIVING the hell of being with an alcoholic and yet becoming one myself. It is beyond humbling to even put this into writing.

But the fact of the matter is, the only way change happens when you have to finally face yourself. Your true self... not the one that you have made up to convince yourself that it "isn't that bad" or "I'll do better next time." You have to move aside the excuses. You have to peel away the facade and truly look into your soul. Its painful. Excruciating. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think that because it is so painful, so many of us avoid it. Some people come easier than others; but it is hard to for us to face our self.

Change comes from within, and until that person wants to change, there is no way they will. I have lived it from both sides and I believe it with my whole heart.

I am very sorry for your pain and the confusion you have had to experience. I am also sorry because I have lived with your pain, but I have also inflicted it myself.

I hope that one day he finds the strength to change. And I hope that you are able in time to find peace within yourself with what has happened to you. xo
Old 01-16-2018, 01:02 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mavie View Post
I have to tell you my experiences, because #1, I can relate to you, VerySad. In my first marriage, my husband was an alcoholic. Like you, he kept it from me until after we were married. It was Hell on Earth when he'd drink; it was Heaven when he wouldn't. We were together for nearly ten years, and in that span, he would quit for a month or two, but inevitably, he would take it back up again. I had not been a drinker in my marriage. I would drink socially, but I was always on edge, worried about how much he'd had/ was having, that I was always scared to have more than a drink or two; even in social settings.

I was hit, thrown out of the house in the dead of winter with two small kids, told terrible, cruel things about how he "really felt" about me. I was raised that divorce is out of the question for a Christian so the fear of "sinning" kept me tied to my marriage; fighting against his "Heaven and Hell" to pull it together and give him just one more chance. Then one day I broke. And I left. So I feel your pain.

Fast forward 7 years, and I am on this forum, not as the spouse of an alcoholic; but as one who has in turn become one. I can't blame him for that. But I have used him as an excuse in the past.

I came from a very religious, abusive home. Almost five years ago, my father died while we were not on speaking terms. I began to suffer form terrible dreams (both of the things he had put me through as a child, and the things my ex had put me through as an adult). I turned to alcohol at first as a sleep agent, then as a crutch, and finally as a full-on addiction.

I can say that I have lived on both sides of this coin, and it is horrible from either side. There are no winners. I always used to ask myself, "Why won't he change?" Then when I became an alcoholic; "Why can't I change?" I have condemned myself so, so many times for knowing, for LIVING the hell of being with an alcoholic and yet becoming one myself. It is beyond humbling to even put this into writing.

But the fact of the matter is, the only way change happens when you have to finally face yourself. Your true self... not the one that you have made up to convince yourself that it "isn't that bad" or "I'll do better next time." You have to move aside the excuses. You have to peel away the facade and truly look into your soul. Its painful. Excruciating. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I think that because it is so painful, so many of us avoid it. Some people come easier than others; but it is hard to for us to face our self.

Change comes from within, and until that person wants to change, there is no way they will. I have lived it from both sides and I believe it with my whole heart.

I am very sorry for your pain and the confusion you have had to experience. I am also sorry because I have lived with your pain, but I have also inflicted it myself.

I hope that one day he finds the strength to change. And I hope that you are able in time to find peace within yourself with what has happened to you. xo
Wow! I must say that I’m speechless about what you just wrote. As much as I want to try and understand what it must be like to have an addiction I can only try. I know I need to focus on my recovery but that doesn’t mean that I can’t try and understand the addicts perspective in the event he reaches out for my help and genuinely wants to recover. It takes so much courage for you all to share your stories in order to try and help me and that in itself is it’s own form of healing. I admire you for that! You have helped me understand your side since I’m unable to speak to him about it and it’s a form of healing.

Thank you.....I will pray that God gives you the strength and courage to maintain sobriety throughout your journey..
Old 01-16-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Wow! I know I need to focus on my recovery but that doesn’t mean that I can’t try and understand the addicts perspective in the event he reaches out for my help and genuinely wants to recover.
Hello!

Sorry for what brings you here. I want to caution you with the above statement. I’m so sorry in advance for saying this. If he comes back asking for your help he probably isn’t ready. He will come back and act like he is genuinely ready and tangle you all the way again. If he is ready to recover HE will take the steps to get help and take The actions. Never believe what he says, only what he does and above all put yourself first.

I’m glad you are talking it out and getting support. We are here to help.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:39 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Your right..:)

Originally Posted by Nowsthetime View Post
Hello!

Sorry for what brings you here. I want to caution you with the above statement. I’m so sorry in advance for saying this. If he comes back asking for your help he probably isn’t ready. He will come back and act like he is genuinely ready and tangle you all the way again. If he is ready to recover HE will take the steps to get help and take The actions. Never believe what he says, only what he does and above all put yourself first.

I’m glad you are talking it out and getting support. We are here to help.
You are absolutely right! I learned the hard way when he did ihtially ask me to attend an AA meeting and I never heard from him. Why??? Because he chose to drink instead. Therefore I agree with you. He needs to make the steps first .....absolutely! I will not let him suck me in again. I’ve educated myself in both sides of addiction and still continue such as seeking advice from all of you.....which I appreciate on the grandest of scale.. It takes a lot for everyone to share their stories and admit everything that has happened due to their addiction.....I appreciate all your help!..