Notices

Day 3: Feeling a lot better...

Old 09-01-2010, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3: Feeling a lot better...

I feel like I'm over the worst now in terms of detox, which feels great. I've skipped up to five nights of drinking in a row in the past, mainly because of work or I just needed a break, and know how good the 4th and 5th days feel, but this is the FIRST time in my life I have admitted to myself and another I have a problem and want to quit. Big difference.

I know the weekend will be a challenge, but today I made a list of the reasons why I don't want to drink anymore and how drinking has affected me - spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally. That list came out of me so fast...reading it over was really painful and realizing how deluded I've been all these years...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:39 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's a very emotional time, but you're doing great!

My advice for the weekend, is to plan ahead and make sure you know that you can call someone, or come onto SR for support if you need to.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats Dude! I created a list right around the time I quit too. It was a document on suggestions on how to quit and stay stopped, reasons to quit and inspirational sayings. I would add to it, and last I remember it was about 7 pages. I think it really helped me.

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, it's a very emotional time, but you're doing great!

My advice for the weekend, is to plan ahead and make sure you know that you can call someone, or come onto SR for support if you need to.
I've already got a list of activities planned - some of them involving rigorous exercise, others for projects I want to work on, as well as some tasty food diversions. And I certainly will be checking in here as well...
Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TacoDude View Post
I feel like I'm over the worst now in terms of detox, which feels great. I've skipped up to five nights of drinking in a row in the past, mainly because of work or I just needed a break, and know how good the 4th and 5th days feel, but this is the FIRST time in my life I have admitted to myself and another I have a problem and want to quit. Big difference.

I know the weekend will be a challenge, but today I made a list of the reasons why I don't want to drink anymore and how drinking has affected me - spiritually, physically, mentally, emotionally. That list came out of me so fast...reading it over was really painful and realizing how deluded I've been all these years...
Sounds Good So Far TacoDude.. Going To a A.A. Meeting Might Help Too.. it is Always a Little Scary at First.. Your Doing Great! Keep it Up!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

reading words was never enough to make me not drink, I have to have it hammered home by someone elses voice, body language, and investing time in not drinking good luck.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on day 3 Taco

D
Old 09-01-2010, 02:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

You are off to a great start Taco! Listing reasons drinking wasn't a positive for you is a great idea. Keep that list handy to refer back to, and maybe even add things that you could never really enjoy before, but now that you aren't drinking, you can fully experience! Great job!!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're over the worst of it and glad you've got plans to stay sober. It's really worth the effort.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What I realized when making the list was how many things I enjoyed in life had been compromised because drinking became a priority over just about everything else. I'm looking forward to enjoying those things more now!

Originally Posted by julez View Post
You are off to a great start Taco! Listing reasons drinking wasn't a positive for you is a great idea. Keep that list handy to refer back to, and maybe even add things that you could never really enjoy before, but now that you aren't drinking, you can fully experience! Great job!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Your doing Great Taco, I tend to treat weekends Like any normal day. I drank every day so weekends were no exception to me. Keep yourself Busy and you will be fine..
Old 09-01-2010, 06:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

In early sobriety.....I too made that list Taco
and used it as page 1 and 2 to begin a journal.

I hope you will consider journeling ..not on line
but simply to keep in daily focus.

All my best as you move forward...
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
In early sobriety.....I too made that list Taco
and used it as page 1 and 2 to begin a journal.

I hope you will consider journeling ..not on line
but simply to keep in daily focus.

All my best as you move forward...
Yes, I've been writing every day, and it helps...not always easy, but is a helpful reminder what a grip alcohol had on me and STILL has on me, if I'm perfectly honest.