Notices

How long?

Old 09-01-2010, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long?

This might be a silly question which i do not have the answer too, how long does it take for the alcohol to be completely purged from your body? How long does it take for your normal sleep patterns to return. I have no problem falling asleep ( with the help of valerian and warm milk ) but i wake up multiple times at nite, and very early in the morning, today it was 4:00 am but i was able to go back to sleep till 6:30. I usually am up no later than 7:00 as i am a morining person, and really enjoy the quiet time to myself. I just hate waking up multiple times at nite, the drinking used to quell that and help me sleep through the nite, but of course theres the morning hangover, anxiety and of course the need to start drinking , gawd.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

well for me the detox lasted about 3-7 days, after that it took me about 4 weeks to ge back to normal sleeping. It really depends. you can read the article what to expect in the section alcoholism which tells you what others experienced.
Old 09-01-2010, 07:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It varies from person to person, but it does awhile for our bodies to heal. I don't know how long it takes for alcohol to be completely removed from our bodies.

It was chronic insomnia that tipped me towards drinking at bedtime. What a mistake that was! So, I am sober, but still have insomnia. LOL. I am sure that your sleep patterns will improve soon.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been sleeping in "sections" all my life.
Usually 2 sections of 3 or 4 hours.

I take no sleeping aids ..not planning to do so.

Sooo....recovery has not altered those patterns
and I am not at all concerned....

Sorry to know you are having problems.

Please see if this helps you

http://www.well.com/user/mick/insomnia/
Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anna: I heartily agree! Using alcohol in order to get sleep is disastrous. Not only does it foster alcoholism but my experience was that you wake up after two or three hours, get restless and tend to take another dose. The main reason why I'm responding to your post is that I'm worried about a good friend of mine who uses wine to fight insomnia. I keep suggesting that she consult her physician, possibly mentioning that there are a few medications now on the market which are said to be nonaddictive. Pills are always controversial and usually should not be used for more than a week or so. Natural sleep, if you can get it, is the most restful. I don't mind waking up a few times, since this often happens as one grows older. If a book is sufficiently boring the brain sometimes says, "Oh well! Anything is better than this! I give up! I'll let you go to sleep!"

Wpainterw
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Sleeping problems is a big reason people start / continue to drink. I have had sleeping problems all my life. Alcohol got me to sleep and kept me asleep. Drunk sleep is crappy sleep though...and of course there are the other numerous problems that come with excessive drinking. For most people sleeping patterns get better fairly quickly. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also used alcohol to help me sleep...strangely enough I am now crashing hard at 10:30 every night and sleep straight through until the dogs wake me up at 5:30.

Someone posted that physically it takes 23 days for all the alcohol to get out of our bodies...the problem is that some of our bodies require longer than others to repair the damage. Also, there is the psychological effect which varies hugely from person to person.

Good luck!