Notices

Fed up

Old 08-31-2010, 03:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fed up

Restless legs drive me mad. All I want to do is sit and not drink and then my flipping legs start twitching and jumping. I could cry. When all you want to do is stride round the room, is it any wonder you want to drink to numb the pain.

My teeth also drive me round the bend. They are so so sensitive, I could scream. I actually wish I could have them removed. The flashes of pain are horrific. What can I do to get rid of this feeling. I hate it.

Sorry if this post is a bit random but I just wanted to get things of my chest.

xx
Old 08-31-2010, 03:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've found sensitive toothpaste helps my teeth a lot Sasha...but do see your dentist if the condition is unbearable.

This site is pretty good for common sense suggestions for restless legs - but naturally it's not written with addicts or withdrawal in mind

Restless Legs Syndrome – Australia – advice on treatment of RLS, a major cause of insomnia

http://www.rls.org.au/index.php?page...cad0dad06c9385

D
Old 08-31-2010, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Sasha, I feel you on the restless leg...I had such a problem with that as well...that is a great link that Dee posted...some meds I was being prescribed made it worse but in time as my brain chemistry and physiology righted itself, it got to be less and less...hang in there...and drink lots of water...
Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have the RLS thing too and I know how frustrating it can be. I hope the links Dee posted help you out.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Did the legs get restless (or more restless) after you quit drinking? If so, then the (increased?) restlessness may be due to the restlessness and hyperactivity, sleeplessness, etc. which often occur as part of withdrawal. As the others say you should probably take these issues up with your doctor and/or dentist.

W.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

about the leg thing,I drank plenty of water and got some exercise and they got better
they are much better today
Old 08-31-2010, 11:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I got the restless leg thing a couple weeks after I quit drinking. Got it in the evening or night when I would have been getting drunk. I was lucky(?) and it only lasted less than 2 hours. I constantly stretched and flexed my legs and it went away by the time I went to sleep. It does suck. Hope the links Dee provided help, or look over the other suggestions. Good luck. Let us know how it goes and if anything helped.
Old 09-01-2010, 12:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your restless legs..it can be an awfully debilitating thing...I've had it myself over the years especially when lying in bed at night trying to get to sleep...the stuff of nightmares!!

My brother had it for a long time and we realised it was due to the amount of caffeine he was drinking during the day (coke, coffee, tea, etc.) - it would be good to eliminate such stimulants from your diet incase you're drinking any caffeine as they definitely don't help with restless legs syndrome. And as others have said above drink plenty of water, stretch your legs, go for some walks, etc.

Big hugs,

Almath
Old 09-01-2010, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Please check with your Dr as this has occurred since you quit drinking. That can be and many times is a form of "Alcoholic Neuropathy" caused by the alcohol killing the coverings on the nerve endings and thus the nerves start sending 'erroneous messages.'

With many as stated above, after a few weeks it does disappear, with others like myself it can get worse. There are medications (that are not addictive) that can help with this problem. Please, please see your Doctor.

I was fortunate in early sobriety to have access to a treadmill and a stationary bicycle and those also helped. When the RLS would start, if I got on the treadmill and just walked, or the stationary bike and just pedaled for a 1/2 hour or so, it would calm it down.

I cannot stress enough though ....................... PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 09-01-2010, 05:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Sasha:

Sorry to hear about your legs and teeth. I use to get the restless leg syndrome, but not anymore.... when I did get it... it was always when I was laying in bed at night.

Are you taking any prescription drugs? My doctor told me it could be a side effect or low iron... now, I would talk to your doctor if it continues to persist, because it is annoying. Don't take more iron or don't go off your prescription pills (if you are on any) without talking to the doctor first.

As for the teeth, I started using baking soda, it works great and doesn't hurt my teeth.

Keep us posted on your progress!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Hi Sasha..... I had the leg "deal" too and it drove me NUTS! I don't have any miracle cure for you - I just powered through it. I taught myself to think of stuff like that as my alcoholism trying to get me to drink again and have to start all over. I kinda turned it into a game of "uncle" (if you're familiar with that) and made it personal: me (+ the AA fellowship and God) vs. alcoholism. The jumpy legs went away and the experience taught me a pretty valuable lesson.