Notices

Sobriety in pregnancy

Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Sobriety in pregnancy

I'm pregnant. I don't have a problem staying sober while I'm pregnant but I typically go back to my old habits after birth. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to work on sobriety when drinking is not really an option. I don't know if I'm making sense. I have been working on this for a while and have been doing better. But I had not quit completely before I got pregnant. So now I'm feeling a bit lost. I'm afraid of getting a false sense of security or something.

Thank you.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I've been useing God and AA for my long term sobriety.
Works really well for me.....

Blessings to you and your family
Old 08-30-2010, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think, that when drinking is not an option, you will automatically begin to find different ways to deal with life and all the ups and downs.

You can find lots of support here, so keep posting.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I drank before pregnancy
and after on both my kids.

At ages 4 and 7 family stepped
n with an intervention getting
help I so needed at that time
in my life.

Today I reflect back on that time
with 2 small children and am
extremely grateful for entering
recovery.

As of 8-11-90 I havent found
it necessary to pick up a drink
of alcohol using the tools and
knowledge of my AA program.

My 2 children are awesome, caring,
loving, intelligent little adults now
and Im truely blessed.

Alcohol by one of my parents
destroyed my childhood. Fears,
resentments followed and thus
I drank to deal with that.

I didnt want to be like my mom
and thus tried hard with control
to avoid any kind of physical
or verbal abuse i endured myself
so my kids didnt have to.

Thank my HP I didnt abuse them
and thus the chain of abuse was
broken.

No child should ever have to go
thru abuse, and when under the
enfluence of drugs, prescriptions,
alcohol can and will alter moods
and behaviors.

We may not realize the affects
alcohol or drug has on a child
until the damage is done.

Today Im responsible for my
actions and behaviors and glad
not to be under the enfluence
of a controled substance in my
body.

Especially around God's children
as we all are.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Hi,

I think, that when drinking is not an option, you will automatically begin to find different ways to deal with life and all the ups and downs.

You can find lots of support here, so keep posting.
See you would think so but I was a case study in white knuckling it the last 2 times (this will be my 3rd child, hopefully). I was just miserable for 9 months. But I do have an entirely different mindset this time around. That's for sure.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi SSIL and congratulations!!! What wonderful news:-)

If I were you I would use this period of time when you can't drink and focus on the work that will keep you from drinking once the baby is born. What is that work? Unfortunately I think that's a question everyone needs to answer at least in part on their own. I think that's whats so appealing about AA, it gives people a framework for where to start, otherwise it's a little like pinning the tail on the Donkey with a blindfold.

So, if you are doing AA, I would really throw myself into the steps. If you aren't you have to figure out how you want to approach it. For me, this involved a lot of reading, books on self-help, books on understanding how addiction works, books on positive thinking.

I also believe in the relationship to health and sobriety, there is so much information out there that shows a direct correlation between our health, diet and environment and controlling cravings. You also might want to read up on the Limbic system which is the part of our brains that equates alcohol with good times. You can retrain that part of your brain to equate alcohol with bad times, but it requires work. I have found this enormously helpful in my recovery.

Whatever you do I hope this pregnancy gives you the breathing room to get some tools in place to stay sober once the baby comes.

Congrats again!
Old 08-30-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hmm, well, I think that, no matter how much you love your children (including the one yet to be born) you need to do this for yourself.

I'm so glad you are here seeking support.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

hello there.you said that you are miserable when not drinking?
this is what AA describes as the spiritual malady...restless,irritable and discontent?
i was like that too when i stopped drinking for any amount of time,usually not very long.i needed to try and re-create the old feeling of ease and comfort that a few drinks in the begining gave me.wasnt like that though.
im the same as carol.i use a God or higher power if you like and the 12 steps of alcoholics anonymous to not just stay sober but live a life where it is no longer necsessary to drink.i had a spritual awakening as a result of the 12 steps and the alcohol problem has been removed.
if your serious about recovery and i believe you are why not give this a go?
i cannot put into words what a transformation my life has been given.
i was a hopeless case.and today im full of hope.....about almost everything.
welcome.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your pregnancy SSIL75
Obviously I have no experience with this LOL but I do agree with Anna - we need to do this for ourselves...

I haven't drunk for almost 4 years but I still work on my recovery

Keep working on yours too whatever way you wish to go...if you really want a sober life, and it seems you do, you'll be fine.

D
Old 08-31-2010, 04:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I also believe in the relationship to health and sobriety, there is so much information out there that shows a direct correlation between our health, diet and environment and controlling cravings. You also might want to read up on the Limbic system which is the part of our brains that equates alcohol with good times. You can retrain that part of your brain to equate alcohol with bad times, but it requires work. I have found this enormously helpful in my recovery.

Congrats again!
That's kind of the approach I have been taking and it feels the most fitting for me. Thank you for the reminder! AA is not for me at this point but I am grateful for the reminder that it's there for me if that changes.

I am also posting on women for sobriety and do love it there. I read the statements every morning. I think right now it's a bit hard b/c I don't feel well. But I haven't had a drink in a week now and the fog is lifting (replaced by pregnancy fog). I am going to work out today and started reading again last night. I just have to do it this time. I have to. I've opened up to some friends and my husband. He also seems to have quit (he typically quits with me when I'm pregnant). So that's nice.

I'll continue to read/post here and no doubt will be asking for more support in May. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

SSIL.....I totally hear you. Congrats on your pregnancy!!!! Yayy to you little miracle.

I too am pregnant and got pregnant after I quit drinking. I had no idea that I was since hubby and I been trying for so long and even my XH and I tried too. I look back now and say.....you were were drinking all that time too. Yes I was.

I can tell you that I was sober about 2 months when I found out so I too am still in early recovery and add on all the hormones and thoughts and anxiety.....it can be quite a handful.

Know that I am on the journey too and I think this a perfect time to get sober and start working recovery. You need support and SR is wonderful. There are plenty of other options there but know that no matter what causes you not to drink that you can seize the moment and get the right help to begin recovery and life a life alcohol free.

I'm here if you would like to chat and I was just saying that being pregnant and in early sobriety is unique and I had wished that there were others who could relate. Understanding the pregnancy piece and the alcoholic side.

Huggs and again Congrats!! You can do this. Sobriety is amazing~~
Old 08-31-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey Congrats Kim! How exciting for you both:-) I wonder if there are any statistics on having difficulty getting pregnant when drinking? For all practical purposes it should be hard to do!
Old 08-31-2010, 11:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thx LaFemme. Here is what happened to me and I do believe there is a correlation between fertility and alcohol consumption.

I had a preg. loss and began drinking right after.....basically the beginning of my alcoholic years. For the next 10 years I drank and I had unexplained infertility....no one could tell me why I couldn't get pregnant again.

I got sober and was religious on taking the prenatal vitamins. Began eating healthy and living healthier in sobriety and I conceived about 6 weeks after quitting.

Definite miracle but I also attribute it to the fact that I quit drinking and felt better then I had in all those 10 years boozing.

Sobriety is a blessing in so many ways.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:28 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Congrats Kmber! Glad to have someone in the same position. We'll have to keep each other accountable next year. Early May for me, hopefully.