Notices

Day 1

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1

That's the bad news. I am quite disappointed in myself.

Today is Day 1. Again. The good news? I went one day longer than last time. The first go 'round, I went 5 days before I slipped. This time I went 6. Maybe I'll stay sober for 7 days this go 'round. Obviously, let's hope it's longer, but I am realistic.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi MindShift - You're starting again, instead of giving up, so that's the most important thing. Keep those sober days in mind (how you feel waking up without a hangover, less anxiety, etc) and go back to working it a day at a time. If we can do it, you can do it, too! I had plenty of false starts and attempts and even thought at one time that maybe I should accept my "fate" as an alcoholic. I'm so very glad I didn't!

Hang in there and keep posting!!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Mindshift, Im on day 8, again. Don't ever give up trying to quit! Good for you starting again!

Artsoul, I too had said to myself numerous times..just give it up, your an alcoholic, deal with it. Everyone you know drinks, so who cares if I dont remember the night before? I do and I do not want this to be my lifes calling.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Many of us fell a time or two before we metaphorically learned to walk again Mindshift.

Look at what went wrong - think of the stuff you need to add to whatever you've been doing - and then get up and move on

welcome back to you too Fiona630

D
Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Stay possitive and don't give up. You will be ok. We are all here if you need us!
Old 08-30-2010, 01:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes.....early sobriety is difficult.....

I've found AA works really well to keep me
moving forward in a positive joy filled life.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Stay sober just for today. Tomorrow do the same. Before long you'll have quite an accumulation of sober days. AFter all, we only get to live one day at a time so why not stay sober one day at a time?
Old 08-30-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to the disappointment in yourself. Been there done that! The fact that you are willing to keep trying, I think, is the key. In my case sobriety was a process, one that took several attempts to achieve. I greatly respect those who can decide to stop drinking and do it on the first try. However I was not one of those. I came to the decision to stop in June of '09 but it was the 15th of Jan '10 before I took my LAST drink. I am to the point now that I rarely even think about alcohol. I choose to work daily on my recovery. I am much happier with myself that way!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Mindshift,

I did the same one-day-more routine when I first quit. It was better than drinking regularly, but it left me mentally frustrated because I needed to quit.

Switching to a not-drinking-today mentality and also not counting days helped me. I also increased my reading time here at SR and went to some f2f meetings.

I'm just saying what is working for me, and I hope you find your way. It's definitely worth it. Best wishes.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Try again until you succeed, its the best feeling in the world to get off the Evil Stuff, I don't even think about it now and Im in early recovery xx
Old 08-30-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Gosg! It took me 5 years of trying to get past 7 days...today is 50...so keep trying it'll stick!
Old 08-30-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

MindShift -- I do not remember what you're doing for your recovery. Now, might be the time to assess what methods you're using and try to figure out what you might do different. I'm proud of you for continuing to try.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm back from my vacation

Hi, just wantedto tell you I am back from my vacation. The 2 weeks were amzing without alcoho. And then I slipped after I returned yesterday, but got back on the wagon. I am ready to get back into soberline. I guess the reason for yesterday was I felt really really lonely. Anyhow I learned form my mistake and found anohter trigger.....
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you (((Everyone))) for giving me such awesome words of support. I swear, I almost felt too foolish to post that I was at Day 1 again. Day 2 has gone extremely well. Better than my last two Day 2's, if that makes any sense.

BobGT - You know, I think I might be wired like you with the whole counting days thing. It feels heavy to put the proverbial 'X' on the calendar to mark another day sober. I came up with my screenname because I knew that a mind shift would be what I had to do to be successful. It's those darn old mindsets and habits that I need to change that can be hard some days. And you're right, it's better than regular drinking.

I own my stumble and I'm glad I'm here. Thank you again.