Notices

Those of you who remember me will never believe this...

Old 08-29-2010, 07:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
getting there

Those of you who remember me will never believe this...

I went to an AA meeting today!

Actually, I went to two. At the first one, I was so uncomfortable and it just didn't click at all. I practically ran out when it was over. But I told myself that I couldn't give up that fast, so I found another meeting later in the day.

I couldn't *believe* how welcoming everyone was at that later meeting. At least five people came up to me right away, introduced themselves, gave me a newcomers packet and a big book. A couple of people invited me to sit with them. I got my 24-hour chip and a whole bunch of phone numbers.

I'm still not sure how I feel about AA in general, but I am SO TIRED of doing the same thing over and over again... drinking, swearing it off, drinking again, hating myself, rinse and repeat. So I'm definitely going to give it a shot.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

GREAT, Cola,

You don't have to like the medicine for it to work. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Gotta do the work, but you got yourself in the door (twice!). Give it all you've got.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you ColaGirl
Old 08-29-2010, 07:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ok...who are you and what have you done with CG?

LOL. I'm very pleased to hear that you went and you had a positive experience - that's terrific!

D
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great job CG! And for anyone else who happens to go to a first meeting they don't like try a couple more if you are interested in looking at AA. As I said I am not an AAer, but I was required to do alot of AA meetings, and I got the little book they gave me at court, and I went to 5 or 6 different ones until I felt comfortable. Some are real small, some are large and a good place to hide and learn, they are at all times of the day and night. They all have different feels and personalities.

So if you are really interested in trying AA, don't let one meeting scare you away from it, because just a couple miles away, (normally) a couple of hours later, you could find a meeting that really might fit your needs.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
getting there

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Ok...who are you and what have you done with CG?

LOL. I'm very pleased to hear that you went and you had a positive experience - that's terrific!

D
I know, can you even believe it? I was SO against the idea.

Originally Posted by Supercrew View Post
Great job CG! And for anyone else who happens to go to a first meeting they don't like try a couple more if you are interested in looking at AA. As I said I am not an AAer, but I was required to do alot of AA meetings, and I got the little book they gave me at court, and I went to 5 or 6 different ones until I felt comfortable. Some are real small, some are large and a good place to hide and learn, they are at all times of the day and night. They all have different feels and personalities.

So if you are really interested in trying AA, don't let one meeting scare you away from it, because just a couple miles away, (normally) a couple of hours later, you could find a meeting that really might fit your needs.
Definitely true in my case. I was very turned off from the first meeting, but I'm so glad I went to the second!
Old 08-29-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Great job! I hope you will find the meetings helpful. I myself do not like them either but that's probably just because I haven't found the right one yet. It sounds like you did. Congrats!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Awesome job CG! Keep coming back until the miracle happens! If it wasn't for AA, sobriety and peace of mind would not exist for this recovering drunk. I've had many sobriety dates too so I can relate. I was totally out of my comfort zone this time when my HP intervened and took me through the doors of AA. When it comes to AA and I'm uncomfortable I try to remember when my first instinct is to run because of fear it's my "ism" telling me to get out of dodge and I can do it without this program. I've listened to that instinct far too many times and it always got me drunk. I'm not saying that AA is for everyone, but it's saved my life. I have to have the one on one connections and help of other recovering alcoholics and most importantly new people who need our help and one day at a time the fear and uncomfortability lessens. This is just my experience. Thank you so much for sharing yours.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You sure did struggle trying for your sober future.
I hope AA will work out for you....
It certainly has for me....and millions of others.

Welcome back cG....all my best