Notices

week 2

Old 08-28-2010, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

week 2

Made it through 7 days and starting week 2. I am loving having the puppy around. Not only does he make me laugh, but I am back on a normal schedule. Although I am not working, no more staying up til 4-5am, drinking during the daytime and napping. I am enjoying getting up in the morning by 8 with no hangover, cooking for me and the puppy, eating 3 healthy meals and going to bed to read and sleep before midnight.
I do not always post, but come here several times a day to read and get good advice and encouragement.
Today I have more old work friends coming by to meet Linus (the puppy) and I am making a fabulous lunch (shrimp scampi) Socializing the puppy has been great for me too since I tend to be a loner.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats on beginning week 2, Mel. It sounds like you are doing great! Linus is such a little cutie. I think pets have an uncanny ability to help their humans heal. How long have you had him, if I may ask? Did you get him for yourself as a sobriety gift?

-Poppies
Old 08-28-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sounds like you're doing great Mel!

I am sure that Linus will be a big inspiration for you to stay sober.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Linus came home with me a week ago. He is 12 weeks old and weighs 4 lbs.
Poppie, I had my other rat terrier for 10 years and lost her in April amidst a job loss, bankruptcy and other drama. I wanted a new puppy awhile ago, but had to wait until I was back in a position to properly take care of one. Things are turning around for me and yes he is a very healing presence.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats Mel! Is Linus a Rat Terrier?
Old 08-28-2010, 11:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I fell in love with the breed. I grew up with big dogs (boxers) which I adored, but living in an apartment I knew that was not practical. Found Zoe, my first rat terrier and just fell in love with the breed. They are smart, and not quite as hyper and yippy as some other small breeds. They seem to adjust to your routine and lifestyle. They are also very muscular and not so fragile so I do not worry about the nieces and nephews being to rough as much.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I have a Jack Russel Terrier. Linus looks like him. Even the black spots and the brown on the face...weird. Mine is about 3.5 years old...skinny, and muscular. Maybe I'll try to send you a pic because you too will think it's cute and odd how similar they look.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They are very similar! Have never owned a Jack Russell, but I think they are so cute and smart as well!
Old 08-28-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I have a 1 year old Jack Russell. Well, he's actually a Parson Russell, but the only difference is that the Parsons legs are longer. He's a broken coat, and his name is Levi. I find that when I am having a hard time, and I go out and throw the ball, my urge to drink is replaced by delight while watching him run. He's an inspiration to me, because every time I let him out, and every morning, he is so excited that its a new day. Wouldnt it be great if we could all feel that way?
Old 08-28-2010, 01:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratualtions Mel

D
Old 08-28-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Cute JuleZ! Yeah...my Terrier has long legs too. He's fairly unique looking, and looks different than his parents and siblings. I have a Lab too. She's my baby puppy even tho she's over 9 years old. Dogs in general get excited about the goofiest things...that's one of the things I love bout them. When they run around smiling with their tongues out for no apparent reason. Yes...that would be great if we were like that.

Mel look what you started!
Old 08-28-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good for you Mel......
Old 08-28-2010, 03:06 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good for you mel..looks like he,ll make a good rat catcher that lil fella...we got a cross
lab/cocker, hyper as sin, chews anything and everthing..high maintenace..good happy nature though...good companions.well done on your sober days..keep em up.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Yes, dogs have a way of lifting me up. Like I said it is so good to be back on a routine and to go out and walk and play in the grass with this little one. I would have more than one, but gotta make sure I can afford it. Until then, Linus is getting spoiled rotten, but very well trained at the same time. I have lots of time to work with him. I think I will take a page from our furry friends and concentrate on one new day at a time.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Awesome! Congrats Mel!