Notices

Mornings before vs Mornings now...

Old 08-27-2010, 06:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Mornings before vs Mornings now...

Just two weeks ago, my mornings went something like this:

6:30 am: Open eyes. TOO BRIGHT! My one-year-old is up. He is crabby. So am I. Is there fur growing on my teeth? My head hurts. Get my one-year-old. Wake my six-year-old. Brush my teeth. Pop some Ibuprophen. Make kids breakfast. Pour myself some coffee. Lay down on couch while kids eat breakfast. Wait for coffee and Ibuprophen to kick in...

My mornings now:

6:15 am: Open eyes. Nice day! Sit up. My head feels clear and pain-free. No fur on teeth. Hubby's snoring makes me giggle instead of p*ssing me off. I am up before my one-year-old. Get to his crib as he is opening his eyes. He wakes up to Mommy making goofy faces at him. He wakes up laughing. Wake up my six-year-old. We all go to the kitchen and make pancakes together. Pour myself some coffee. Open the blinds and let the sun warm my face....Life is good!

Anybody else want to compare before mornings to after mornings?

-Poppies
Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

a year later and get up, get on enjoying day without fear, guilt, remource, depression, anxiety etc...alcohol doesn't even figure in my life anymore...just another drunk who needed a miracle and found one in the rooms of AA:-)
Old 08-27-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

That's great Poppies! I'm glad mornings are going so well for you now.

I still HATE mornings...not a morning person. Still...like waking up without alcohol in me. Like it doesn't take me hours to get out of the funk. Love that if I gotta drive somewhere right after waking up I can. The air smells better. Love being sober.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Nice, Poppies! I relate. Mornings several months ago . . . often, I'd be queasy, trying to slap together my work for the day, hoping no one would notice how sweaty or confused & hungover I was. Now I wake easily and often before my alarm clock and get my most productive work done in the mornings . . . but I must admit I was lazy this morning and I'm okay with that.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot!

Main thing is now waking up in bed perfectly Dry.

Before I could be anywhere and would have emptied my bladder where I lay.

Old 08-27-2010, 09:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Before:
headache upon waking up laying in bed, full of dread, queasy stomach, blotchy red face, puffy looking and puffy feeling....gingerale for breakfast and maybe a cracker, often nauseated.

NOW!
up on time, shower, dress, coffee and real breakfast, protein and fruit. 1 mile walk with new little adopted dog....also do some house chores before work, always make my bed.

Less call outs to work for being *sick*
up
Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Right on Poppies!

Your new mornings sound perfect in every way.

Waking up to laughter, smiling kids, sunshine... I could not have said it better myself.

Enjoy the gift you earned it!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Before: Wake up, wonder what I did night before, did I hide everything, did I call anyone?

Now: Wake up, feel rested, no anxiety attack before I even get out of bed.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Before: waking up at 4am and panicking about how drunk I still am, and how hungover I was going to be when i had to wake up in 2 hrs. 4-6am was spent trying to get back to sleep wondering if I can get away with calling out sick if I don't sober up and don't hurt too much. 6am-8am was spent puking, taking advil, drinking tons of water, trying to hold food down, and making every attempt ot fuction normally for the day to come.

Now: None of that crap!!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I love my mornings now. This am I was at the grocery store before 7!! When I'm drinking, mornings are just the beginning of another nasty day on earth. For me it wasn't coffee either, towards the end my breakfast was a 6 pack.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I can so relate, I have a 3-year old and a 5-year old. Weekend mornings, times when I should feel rested, instead feeling so sick! A nightmare!

What a wonderful feeling to be able to wake up tomorrow, rested and happy, enjoying my morning coffee and my children!
Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Great thread!

Before: Wake up and think "oh God, I didn't think I drank THAT much yesterday." Birds chirping, I lay there wishing it were dark, but know I have to make sure my daughter is up for school. Drag myself in there, just holding on.
"Honey, it's time to get up" (thinking: PLEASE hurry - I've got to go lay down). She asks me to make some toast for her (OH NO). Finally she leaves and I get back in bed till noon, wondering if I'll get anything done that day and dreading seeing or talking to anyone.

Now: Wake up, hear the birds and see the sun through the curtains. Ah....it's morning! Stretch a little and lay there for a minute thinking about all the things I'm going to do that day. Get up to check on daughter, get juice and coffee, make bed..... It's a new day with a ton of potential! (Although, I admit, I still have my off days, too!)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

Today, I felt especially grateful to be sober. I met some co-students after we had a celebration after work yesterday, and some were pretty hungover. I wass glad that I wassn't in their place, because I could exactly relate how crappy they must have felt. Without gloating or any Schadenfreude, I was just so happy that i don't have to deal with hangovers and these wasted days anymore. I really appreciate waking up rested and getting so much more done.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm so glad you're doing well.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Anybody else want to compare before mornings to after mornings?

I can't say it any better than you did!
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on day 33.

Mornings before - dread about what I had done the night before, wondering if I could take the day of work, driving to work probably over the alcohol limit, wasting money and my health on a greasy takeaway macca's breakfast on the way.

Now - Not exactly bounding out of bed, but it's still winter in Oz so it will be easier when it warms up. Having a healthy breakfast. Being on time to work. Waking up sober.
Old 08-28-2010, 07:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Love ALL of your responses!

Mornings are such a good reminder of why we are sober! There are some "evenings" when I miss being able to have a drink. (I am always able to remind myself of where that would lead...) BUT, there is NEVER a morning when I wake up and think "D*mn, I wish I had gotten plastered last night!"

-Poppies
Old 08-28-2010, 07:45 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good thread, makes me remember how I don't want my mornings to be.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

This thread made me smile.
I don't care to think too much about my old mornings but really do enjoy them now!
Usually start with a sunrise walk just being thanksful for another beatiful and sober morning. These really are gifts.
This morning was a good reminder. It actually started last night when I was out for my evening walk. Saw a party getting fired up in someone's yard. The music was going and a few people were chugging and dancing. I was almost afraid they were going to call me over as I walked past! Not tempted, just curious about how I was going to respond.
Fast forward to this morning's walk. Wow did things look different. A couple of hung-over looking people out there trying to clean things up and deal with all the bottles, trash, and general mess. Not a very "fun" looking scene and I felt bad for the people that were no doubt waking up with shame, regret, and hang-overs.
It made me all the more thankful for the blessings and the second chance that I have been given. I hope and pray that those people who truly have an alcohol problem somehow get called back to a sober and peaceful life.
Old 08-28-2010, 08:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm a visitor from the F&F forum, but I have been weaning myself from my 1-2 glasses of wine per night. I'm 52 years old and even ONE glass disturbs my sleep and gives me a headache in the morning! I haven't had a drink in a week and it makes all the difference in the world to me.

You guys keep me motivated and inspired. Thank you for that. ((((Hugs))))