Notices

Inch by Inch

Old 08-26-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Inch by Inch

There was another thread where people had a bit of a discussion on "One Day At A Time." I get "Today's Gift" from Hazelden and this was today's that is actually from "Listening to Your Inner Voice" by Douglas Bloch.

"Today's thought from Hazelden is:

Mile by mile, life's a trial.
Yard by yard, it's not so hard.
Inch by inch, it's a cinch.
-- Proverb

An important key to progress on the path is to take it one step at a time. Just as investing a little on a regular basis builds long-term wealth, the little gains we make each day pay off in spiritual dividends. As a successful musical group explained, "We spent years preparing for our overnight success."

Taking it one step at a time means living in the present moment, letting life gradually reveal itself to us. Some people get nervous and want to know the final outcome. But how can we know an outcome that hasn't yet occurred? Trust in the process, and the perfect result will occur.

When our faith wavers, we often get ahead of ourselves and try to figure out what is going to happen. This "future tripping" removes us from our source of guidance in the present. Sometimes we try to hit it big in a hurry. But there is no fooling the Universe. Sooner or later we will have to go back and retrace the steps that we skipped. The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Whatever the goal or desire, approach it one step at a time. Small measures consistently taken guarantee progress. Eventually you will emerge victorious, having attained a reward that you have truly earned."

Just thought I would share,

Harry
Old 08-26-2010, 10:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We only have the moment we are in. That's all there is.

Have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle? It's an amazing book.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Thank you Harry! That was very inspiring...and truly thoughtful.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
We only have the moment we are in. That's all there is.

Have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle? It's an amazing book.
Thank you Anna, I think I will check it out. Someday I'll also have to see about getting that book by Bloch. That also sound interesting. I don't think I listen to my inner voice often enough, and I believe I should.

Harry
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Harry. Thanks for that post mate. I thought that was awesome and I gained a lot from it.

That's what I love about recovery. It's a real mind expanding thing in many ways and there are so many facets to it. I really enjoy the philosophical side to it.

Thanks again man.

Ps- I love this quote! "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary"

Peace
Old 08-26-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NEOMARXIST View Post
Ps- I love this quote! "The only place where success comes before work is in the dictionary"
Thanks Neo, that is oh so true.

Harry
Old 08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I found that "inch by inch" proverb written on a teeny tiney ashtray amongst a beloved deceased belongings...I claimed it and treasure it.

Thank you, Harry!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks Harry! Great post...... I have to remind myself continually of those principles. You'd really like "The Power of Now."