Notices

Meditation-whats your practice

Old 08-24-2010, 02:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sheesh, if i came upon a black bear with Sammy (a little 10.lb pom dog who thinks he is BIG) we would both be fileted or i would faint from fright. i live in a gated community suburb with several wooded walking trails and man-made ponds...we had a black bear about 4 years ago, it got into someones bird feeder and was lounging on their deck.

I agree about the early morning, it is very peaceful and i mostly reflect on the day and my thoughts just ramble, but i do not get into deep woods. my wildlife consists of deer, chipmunks, squirrels, birds and rabbits....i avoid the skunks our of fear.
Old 08-24-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Great thread, La Femme

When I stopped drinking I decided to replace the gap of my wasted years by doing something positive. I realized early on that if I was going to be any use helping others, I would first have to help myself, and meditation was my first choice. I had been an occasional meditator for years, but sobriety brought a new dynamic to my practice.

I chose Kriya Yoga, which incoporates pranayama and other yogic breathing into the meditation practice, and found that it has brought great peace and reconciliation into my life after I had reached an all-time low as a result of alcohol. The 90 minutes or so I spend on pranayama and meditation every morning are non-negotiable -- because they influence every other aspect of my life. They have certainly helped me shift from an anxious, depressed state to one in which life has taken on new meaning. I actually feel happy getting up in the morning! I also do Hatha Yoga three times a week, and have found yoga really complements meditation. I like Kriya because it's a gentle way of focusing the mind on breathing, which in itself is a form of meditation. I get up early 5 am or 6 am and sit on a cushion. I'm lucky in that there are a lot of birds around and sometimes baboons, so there are no real distractions. Thank you for the thread!
Old 08-24-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

AWOL....baboons?!?! I've got to ask...where are you??? I used to do a lot of Ashtanga yoga but never tried Hathaway...will look into it.

Boldly...I am reading a Wayne Dyer book...he also refers to it as the GAP...hey I thought that was where I went for jeans;-)
Old 08-24-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In Southern Africa, La Femme. The southernmost point of Africa. We have lots of baboons here. I had five in the garden yesterday. Each one of them was sober! Hathaway Yoga? That made me smile
Old 08-24-2010, 03:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Gotta love the auto correct function:-) S. Africa huh...my Ridgeback says hi!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love meditating on the chakra colors as they relate to the areas of the body.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I do a simple watching the breath meditation. I try to do it morning and evening before bed. I have a home altar in my bedroom.
I also do a loving kindness meditation and some tonglen, an ancient Tibetan practice. I've posted on those in the 12 Step secular forum.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Insomnia is my meditation buddy. 3 or 4 am often finds me meditating in the living room. I usually do 30 minute to an hour of zazen then crash for a little while on the couch.

Before I go to sleep the monkey part of my mind is all a chatter, usually the best I can do is a guided meditation or hypnosis session. During the day pranayama is the most reliable and portable method for me. I can get pretty blissed out in five minutes or so.

I need to get more disciplined as winter approaches. Depression always finds me then and kicks the ca-ca out of me every year. I think I will try to become more involved with the local Soto Zen Sangha this winter. They have a morning meditation service that is really convenient with my work schedule, but I'll have to see. I am pretty areligous and even some of the Soto Zen practices seem a little dogmatic for my tastes.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Recycle...you raise a good point...I need to get defenses in place heading into the winter!
Old 08-24-2010, 08:48 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
I love meditating on the chakra colors as they relate to the areas of the body.
I am so interested in that. Did you read or take a class? There is a Reiki course offered a couple of times a year here that I would love to take.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

my practice is vipassana and metta. i also chant.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

LaFemme - thanks for starting this thread.

I don't have a meditation practice - it's on the list of things to do which include learning CPR and Spanish.

But I am more motivated to pursue something after reading everyone's responses. Thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:04 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

There's an 11th step meeting in my area that i attend weekly. It's awesome to meditate with recovering addicts and then discuss prayer and meditation from a 12 step perspective. A nice change from my normal buddhist practice.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Awakening...

Originally Posted by augustwest View Post
There's an 11th step meeting in my area that i attend weekly. It's awesome to meditate with recovering addicts and then discuss prayer and meditation from a 12 step perspective. A nice change from my normal buddhist practice.
I'm looking at starting a 11th step meditation meeting too in my area.
We may need to start small, like a meditation portion as part of the "break out" session of a regular, established meeting.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:26 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I have to say, (yes, I have more to say!) that there is nothing like rising early in the morning hours. Not just a few minutes earlier for prayer and meditation, but pre-dawn, while everyone is still asleep, and just sitting and then doing the morning activities in silence.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I practise Zazen, Vipassana and Loving-Kindness.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm a total newcomer to meditating, but what I do (after making sure my cell phone is muted and the cat isn't preparing to stampede about like hes in the Serengeti) is sit on my bedroom floor w-legs stretched strait out/back against wall and start breathing in/out with my eyes closed until I start to feel relaxed. Sometimes I just can't stop racing, like I said it's new to me. I don't picture any particular waterfalls or sunsets, I just try to relax and let my brain get as close to idle as possible. If there is a situation or person that I've let irritate me (everyday) I try to slowly 'push' it/them away.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey Texas! That sounds like a great practice...don't forget the incense;-)
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Hey Texas! That sounds like a great practice...don't forget the incense;-)
Ha! Have you seen the tree? It's gone...
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by WakeUp View Post
I have to say, (yes, I have more to say!) that there is nothing like rising early in the morning hours. Not just a few minutes earlier for prayer and meditation, but pre-dawn, while everyone is still asleep, and just sitting and then doing the morning activities in silence.
indeed. i don't do quite pre-dawn, but the first hour and a half of my day is silent, with the first 30 minutes or so devoted to my meditation and prayers. i'll chant for 5 minutes, but don't do it every day.

my daily practices are the biggest thing i do away from NA that keeps me clean. i wouldn't be who i am today without the practices.