Notices

Refocus

Old 08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Refocus

I named myself dontwant2Bdad, because if I weren’t so afraid of “catching” what he had, I may not have decided to quit. (Someday, I’ll post all of that ugliness but on another forum.) Today I was going to change my screen name, but can’t figure out how, and in hindsight I guess my current one is quite appropriate. Regardless, I’m trying to focus on my behavior rather than his. So…my daily wine intake was causing “Alzheimer’s”. (Yea, right.) I’m on Day 27. I struggled Saturday night because I REALLY wanted a fine Cabernet with my steak! I got through it, but felt deprived. What a spoiled brat!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is a time when a lot of changes in lifestyle are necessary.

I'm glad you're doing well!
Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Well, I don't know anything about what "he" is doing, but I really have to say that its more important to figure out what YOU are doing, and what you are WILLING to do to protect yourself, your life and your sobriety. I have only been sober for 24 days, so I'm no expert, but in those 24 days, I've been around plenty of people who were drinking, and smoking pot, and I have risen above the temptation. Why? How?? Well basically I've found the mindset that this addiction I have to alcohol is MY problem, and noone elses. Whatever my opinion is about half these people, who now that I'm sober I can recognize they probably have a problem, I wouldn't dream of saying anything to them, or basing my actions on anything they do. My husband is a wonderful man, who drinks nightly, even if its 2 beers, and sometimes I get the feeling he may rely on it too much. But I've decided that I don't like how my drinking is affecting ME and MY LIFE. My sobriety isn't because "something happened" as I've been asked numerous times, or because its been court ordered or anything like that. I'm simply taking the bull by the horns and saving myself. I've felt the hard times, when everyone is having a few, but they weren't worth ruining what I've accomplished so far. Do your thing girl. Sober Recovery is the place to be. I couldn't have done it with out this place and these wonderful wise people.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Julez. Just to clarify, he died about 5 years ago at the age of 73. I am still a pup of 50. And I agree...this site had been insturmental in helping me to be accountable for MY OWN behavior. I wonder if I would have made it to day 27 without this site???
Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time dw2bd!
And yes, this place is fantastic

If you ever do want to change your name just drop me or Anna a PM
D