Notices

Question

Old 08-22-2010, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

How much did you drink daily when you stopped? How did you detox?
Old 08-22-2010, 02:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I was drinking every day, and drank about two 1.75 liter bottles of scotch/week and one 1.75 bottles of vodka every week and a half to two weeks.

I posted my detox experience on this thread, which has a lot of different descriptions of detox experiences.

What a lot of people don't realize is that alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous, and can actually kill you--unlike withdrawal from heroin, for example, which can be very uncomfortable but rarely deadly. If you are drinking a lot, a medically supervised detox is safest.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Tribal

I drank all day everyday so I drank whatever it took to keep me numb really. I have no idea on quantity.

There was a least one recent thread on how much people drank

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...k-average.html

Check out the thread Lexie linked to, as well

Personally? I don't think it matters what anyone else drank...you can't compare your drinking to someone elses and say oh well I might be ok, or not. There's too many variables from person to person and situation to situation.

The responsible thing - and stop me if you've heard this before - is go to get some professional medical advice and supervision.

D
Old 08-22-2010, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post

What a lot of people don't realize is that alcohol withdrawal can be very dangerous, and can actually kill you--unlike withdrawal from heroin, for example, which can be very uncomfortable but rarely deadly. If you are drinking a lot, a medically supervised detox is safest.
I totally agree with Lexie on the detox piece. I went to my Dr. and was very glad for that-I was in a position to need that supervision.

As for my habits, I was drinking daily. I drank mostly vodka or bourbon-10-12 drinks per day, but would go through a 750ML bottle per night on the weekends.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome back Tribal

Personally? I don't think it matters what anyone else drank...you can't compare your drinking to someone elses and say oh well I might be ok, or not. There's too many variables from person to person and situation to situation.

The responsible thing - and stop me if you've heard this before - is go to get some professional medical advice and supervision.

D
Couldn't agree more!
Old 08-22-2010, 03:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

12-15 beers daily during the week. Some weekend days pushing a case.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was drinking between 8-10 glasses of wine every day....in 2009 I did not drink for 9 days only because I was admitted to the hospital...(I had a non-alcohol related seizure, violent headaches, vomiting caused by an interior carotid aneurysm...but drinking didn't help matters).

i detoxed while I was home sick with anothr illness...and went back to work on Day 3....I did have night sweats, insomnia...i had GI upset before i stopped but i guess i extended it....i think i started *normalizing* around day 5-6.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

I actually wrote this down, for the last six months or so a typical 3-4 day binge: A couple of beers for breakfast, a half pint of vodka for lunch, a couple beers in the afternoon, another half pint on the way home, and a bottle or two of wine in the evening. It creeps me out to see this in writing, I was a sick mofo. I tapered off for a couple of weeks with no more that a six-pack/day, but I was having trouble pulling the trigger. Then I got lucky, I got a nasty GI infection and the antibiotics I was prescribed could not be taken with alcohol. Quit or die got me through the first ten days.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I was "enjoying" about a half a half-gallon of Captain Morgans per day. Maybe more on the weekends.

I've got buddies in AA who were drinking a half-gallon per day.....and others who would drink maybe once a month or so. It really doesn't matter what the quantity was. What matters is if you have control over it or not.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

A lot of Vodka almost every day. I didn't go through obvious withdrawal.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Dee74 is right, a medically supervised detox is the safest way to go. Not only are they making you comfortable through the process, they are monitoring you, encouraging you to nourish your body and adding the necessary vitamins to make up for what your body has lost due to drinking.
The first time I detoxed I did it through my family care provider. The second time was in treatment and they used ativan, just like the family doctor, but understood my wish to be completely free of mind-altering substances asap.
SH
Old 08-22-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking either 1.5L of wine a day or if it was beer, about 8-12 cans a day. Sometimes I would combine 5 beers with 750 ml of wine or pint of vodka with 6-7 beers.. it varied. Whatever I had enough money for that day basically.

I'm doing this on my own. Support of my husband and this site. Day 4 is today, tomorrow will be day 5.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have been trying to get into rehab with no luck. My Dr has told me not to stop cold turkey. I am cutting back. He has me on topamax to help with the craving. None of our local hospitals has a detox program. I have an appointment coming to get on a waiting list for a rehab with a detox program.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good--to the extent you can cut down at all, it will make the withdrawal/detox simpler.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you find something soon Tribal.
Best wishes.

D
Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was drinking 12-18 beers a night, more of the weekends, probably close to 30 on a Saturday binge. I finally quit, it was painful to say the least. I did not sleep for a week. Then just as soon as I fealt like a normal person again, I drank again all weekend. So I am quiting again, cold Turkey. Since I only drank 2 days this last time, rather than 30, I am hoping that quiting again is less painful. Right now I just want to sleep.