Notices

Patting myself on the back...

Old 08-22-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations and a high five, my friend!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your evening! I figured you'd be able to not drink, but I am glad you were able to also have fun. There is no feeling like the one you get when you realize you did what you said you'd do and didn't flake out.

Oh, and we're almost the same age! I graduated HS in 1991.

And this:

Originally Posted by LaFemme
I've heard a lot of people on SR state that when they got sober they noticed how slowly other people drink...not my classmates...the bar was packed all night and most of the people were buying multiple drinks at a time. By the end of the night almost everyone (designated drivers and pregnant ladies and me excepted) was sloshed...
My experience has been exactly the same. Since I quit drinking, I find myself thinking, "Gosh, they're just pouring them down and ordering another one." Nobody seems to be drinking slow. I'm amazed at how much they drink. Added to that, I always have a little tinge of shame because, back in the day, I could drink every single one of them under the table.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
part time member

Congratulations on yours and the party's success. I find that I need to use the following because nobody is doing it for me but then again... it is... my recovery. Great job!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Little...great illustration:-)

Lildawg...last reunion I was leading the charge towards edibleness...still, I can't believe how much booze was consumed...I thought I was the only person who drank like that! Which kinda makes me wonder...a lot of people here talk about how normal drinkers drink and how we aren't normal...how many of those normal people are alcoholics in training or borderline there already.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Ditto! That goes back to watching my friends consume alcohol right along with me. I am wondering what will happen when I get back. Will I be able to enjoy being around them still? hmmm Soon to find out!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Great Job LaFemme
You must have fantastic organizational skills to plan such a party. Did you pat yourself on the back a couple times during the process for being sober?
I remember my first large drinking event was a funeral, or the party after. There were so many bottles of wine and liquor on the island in the kitchen, it was obscene.
SH
Old 08-22-2010, 11:12 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Proud Neonephalist

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I thought I was the only person who drank like that!
Me-thinks most of them don't on a regular basis, but at a reunion will "regress" and ramp it up for old times sake. So, in other words, your everyday drinking is probably their once every twenty years booze up and I bet there are quite a few of them who are paying for it dearly today

Murray
Old 08-22-2010, 11:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Chakra, at least these people were not people who I had a drinking history with...luckily most of my friends no longer drink or drink minimally...I was pretty much the last hold out of my old drinking friends.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am just going through a weird over-thinking-self-analysis phase. See new post.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh,

I think a lot of people who don't normally overdrink still might do so at a reunion--stress of seeing people you haven't seen in years and years, not to mention thinking about the partying you once did together.

Whatever, glad you had a good and sober time--nice going!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Just gotta add this.

When I went to my reunion a few years ago, I went with my wife (ex now). They had a huge crystal bowl full of huge cocktail shrimp, so I grabbed a dinner plate off the buffet and loaded it as high as I could without dropping any on the floor. My ex looked at me and said, "Don't you want to leave some for the other guests?" to which I replied, "No, they're on their own". I still can't believe I sat there and ate the whole plate, lol.

Keep me away from the shrimp!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Lol...fire! Remind me to hide the shrimp if you are in town.

I'm sure there were a number who were cutting loose for old times sake...I do know enough about a fair number of them to know this is not a rare thing for them. These are the same people who never miss the Memorial day block party or the Martini Stand...I just never focused on how much they drank because I was keeping pace with the leaders back then:-)
Old 08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Overall, I'm happy you had a good night and I'm positive you looked stunning. Just please tell me no one was break dancing.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

No breakdancing...poor DJ no one was dancing at all...they were too busy talking at the bar.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Firestorm I am *known* for my giant shrimp platters....I do this Tower motif you would appreciate.....(my weakness is crab-claws and drawn butter).

I watch people drink all the time, I just mentioned this in another thread...my nephew's GF downed an entire bottle of cabernet during Mother's Day dinner, I worry about her....but most of my close friends just have 1 or 2 drinks and they are content....it's ME that would drink too much.

my close friends and my family know that I now rarely drink for health reasons...that was enough explanation for everyone.....they are VERY supportive but again no one makes a big deal out of it....I travel to parties with my juice and seltzer or favorite tea bags....i guess i really am a cheap date too.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you enjoyed the party.....