Notices

First AA Meeting

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey man. It's good to hear you've stayed sober and your life is picking up, Nice one.

The only day that I make sure that I don't drink for is 'today'. That's the only day that matters anyway. If I started making 'pledges' in any greater amounts than that then I would be setting myself up for a failure and I would have to question whether I had totally accepted to my innermost self that alcohol is simply not an option, period... 'just for today'.

The alcoholic mind is an insidious sneeky b*stard. It will look for any oppurtunity to creep back in. I know for me then totally living in today and accepting this has really helped me keep gratefully sober for 14 months exactly today. I never pledged one month, six months, 1 year etcetc. I only pledged that I would keep sober 'just for today'. That's the only day that matters.

I still make plans for the future and things are working out fantastically well now that I ain't trying to force it too much. I take care of today and work my recovery how I have to and things turn out well man. AA helped me a lot with this stuff.

This may not apply to you, I'm only sharing my experience. For me it is a 'one day at a time' deal. It was tortorous the other way and just gave me an excuse to celebrate with a drink...

Peace Out man.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by gerryP View Post
Congratulations on your decision to quit drinking Tom!

When I quit 5 years ago and wanted to drink I repeated to myself...No matter what comes my way, good, bad or indifferent, Drinking is NOT an option.
Not an option
Not an option
Not an option
Not an option....

Did I mention 'It is simply not an option.'
awesome! i had a sign made that i have on the wall by my door. It reads:

RULES
1. No drinking or drugs, no matter what.
2. Refer to rule #1