Notices

21yo male trying to quit methadone/ oxy before my b-day :/

Old 08-21-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cool 21yo male trying to quit methadone/ oxy before my b-day :/

Hi, my name's Kyle...
Ive been taking oxycontin one week outve every month(150mg per day) & methadone to get me through the other three weeks (10/20mg per day). This has been going on for a year.. My roomate has been supplying me with the pills as long as i stay around 24/7... i am very ready and motivated to get outve this house and to begin my life, find a career. Ive been sticking to 10mg of methadone everyday for the last 2 weeks and im going to continue tapering down.
i just want to quit it all now, cold turkey, but im scared to death of withdrawls. Ive gone through them before & with a history of anxiety & depression id hate to be stuck in my room feeling like death for a few weeks. i have nobody to help me, no insurance or doctor, and ive spent the last year of my life withdrawing from friends and family into my own little world. Im itching to go out & get a girl.
ANYWAY im 5'11, 150 pounds & pretty active. like i said im 21. can someone please give me advice &more importantly give me a hint of how these withdrawls are likely to be. THANKYOU

kyle
Old 08-21-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We cannot give any medical advice here.

I'm glad you are seeking support, but you need to talk to a dr about your plan to get off the meds, or go to an ER.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hi Kyle - glad you've decided to get off the drugs. I know what it's like to isolate because of addiction (I was a solo drinker). Sounds like getting out of the situation you're in would be a good idea, too.

There's a substance abuse forum here, where you'll be able to get more information on what people are going through withdrawing from oxys/methadone. Here's the link:Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

I know others will come along here on this thread, too, who know exactly what you're going through. Glad you're here and keep posting and reading. We all need support!!
Old 08-21-2010, 05:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Glad you want to quit Kyle. Oxy is such a horrible addiction. Withdrawal is very dangerous. I know you wrote you don't have a Dr., but pleez check with someone in the medical profession to help you. Good luck and keep us posted. You have a great opportunity. Get clean.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

thanks for replying guys )
i know i should probably get help from a doctor & i dont want to make excuses buuut honestly im completely broke and dont want to add to my debt by going to the ER:/ and honestly ive been treated like a jerk in the ER a few times in the past. however, im good friends with a nurse & im contemplating how to explain my situation to her....

thanks for the link artsoul, i found a lot of interesting & helpful conversations in that link. i hope i can get a good conversation going, its really helpful to have somewhere to openly talk, its not like i can just log on to facebook & get help for my addictions

yess oxy addiction suckkks. every 2 hours youre asking for another dose... at least with the methadone you can go for a day or even two, but then you dont get the high youre looking for. always chasing that high... ive been feeling good really, keeping myself active, enjoying the end of summer. but im preparing myself because i know that wont be the case when im completely clean. i need to remember that i dont need to do oxy to be a fun or interesting person. to be fun to be with... but instead when im withdrawing i feel like i have no friends, no life, & somehow i lie to myself that this is because im NOT on pills instead of the other way around...

btw, im wondering if anybody has an opinion on continuing smoking marijuana while quitting??
Old 08-23-2010, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Be careful about switching addictions. I hope you can safely detox from the oxy though.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

"im wondering if anybody has an opinion on continuing smoking marijuana while quitting"

Hi and congrats on your desire to clean up. There are State Mental Health Doctors, who offer services on a scale depending on your income. These can be free services in some cases. I say "mental health" as addiction falls into that catagory most often.

I know that for me, I substituted one drug for another only to find that my life was still a mess and I still didn't know how to deal with the real problem of "how do I deal with these feeling without numbing them with a substance".

I finally got off all drugs and began the 12 step program. It works....if I go to meetings and listen and learn.

I wish you a speedy recovery.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Kyle

You can sometimes find free clinics in a lot of places too. Google free clinics and your local area.

In the end, seeing a Dr is the best move I think.

As for your last question, my opinion is it's a dumb idea too - I ruined my life just as completely on weed as anything else I tried to self medicate with.

I wouldn't be looking for more drugs to add to the mix, but less.

D
Old 08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Stay strong

Hi Kyle.

That is my brothers name. He is going to be a senior in high school. I was reading your plan for your life it made me so happy that no matter how hard it may be or how close to the edge you may get you can resist it. My boyfriend is struggling now and it gives me home to see you are succeeding
Old 08-23-2010, 10:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR ForAddynDaddy

D
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kyleD View Post
btw, im wondering if anybody has an opinion on continuing smoking marijuana while quitting??
Weeds a funny drug....kinda like alcohol. Heaps of people can smoke it and not have a problem, some, like me, get hooked and waste a good proportion of our lives smoking the crap.

At the end of the day, like with the opiates, you know if its a problem for you and if you need to stop smoking. A medical professional would be the best to advise whether to quit both at the same time.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good luck...Sept 1st will be 4 months for me off of Methadone! It can be done!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Kyle, I tried to smoke marijuana and quit and it didn't work, I relapsed. However, a friend of mine quit and smoked mj through the early days to help her cope with the detox. Symptoms to expect during oxy detox: headaches, diarrhea, extremely lethargic (but yet insomnia later), restless leg syndrome, cramps, sweating, irritable, and I'm sure there is more but I've already forgotten. By the way the first five days are horrible, but if you can soldier through that, then it becomes a mental game. I'm on day 36 off the pills, and although I still think about them all the time, I never want to go back to that place again.