Notices

Tell me about your support systems

Old 08-21-2010, 03:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tell me about your support systems

Some of you may have seen my looooong thread a couple of days ago in which I address how my family supports me in my recovering, but I understand the possibility that some people may not agree with my input. That is completely fine, and I would be let down if this entire forum was single-minded.

So, I would like you guys to tell me about how you support your addicted children/spouses/grandchildren/etc, or how you addicts are supported by other people.

If you could, please explain whether or not the support you receive or give is the best that you think it could be. If not, what do you wish could be different?

If you are supported by others in your recovery, why are you thankful for the kind of support they give? I don't mean to sound negative when I say this, I just want to see the gratefulness you guys have to share
Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, the journey of recovery is both intensely personal and yet one that I share with my SR friends. For the first two years, I relied on books, and then I found SR and I have been here ever since, every day. People here understand. My family does not understand my journey. Yes, they wanted very much for me to get better, but they had no interest whatsoever in talking things over with me. I respect that, and have relied on my SR friends to support me and inspire me.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My family has been there to support me from day one and still today. For my family, it has really been a relief for them to not to have to worry anymore. My other support comes from AA sponsor, friends from my home group and a group of friends here where I live that are just everyday people. I have phone numbers that I can call and if need be can meet someone to have a talk with. And I also have my wife, but we are both alcoholics and addicts and got clean and sober at the same time. And now I have SoberRecovery that I have just recently added.

But, most importantly, my biggest support comes from my Higher Power, who I chose to call God. He is always there for me.

Harry
Old 08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
April 18, 2010

Hi Teal. Good thread idea; I'm interested in hearing what people have to say.

This website is my biggest support. I know that when I come here, there will be someone who knows what I'm going through, and whether it's a friend, a familiar person, or a stranger, they will support me in our common goal. That's huge.

My other biggest support is my boyfriend, who is a giving and supportive person in all regards in our relationship, this recovery part included. I am grateful for it, and I try not to overstep bounds by taking it for granted. I know it is sometimes difficult for him to understand what I am going through, and we are patient with each other. Overall, I'm amazed by how supportive he has been throughout this, and continues to be.

Another support I have is a long distance friend who went through/goes through recovery for something else. Her experience and success, coupled with the fact that I've known her so long and through so much, makes our friendship a touchstone in all this, even though we don't talk all that often.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

My family (who is also my employer), especially my wife, my children, AA, SR, my faith, ginger ale, and Pall Malls. The realization that I was either going to kill myself or someone else in an accident inevitably factors in there, too.
Old 08-21-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

My biological family just don't get it - but my SR family do.

Between them and Mrs Dee I'm pretty lucky - I get support and encouragement, but I also get the straight truth when I need it.

My part in the deal is to try and keep an open mind, have a little faith when needed, and stay centered

D
Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My SR and AA families are the formost biggest supporters that I have. There is no doubt about that. After that, I would say that my most active supporters are my roommate, my co-worker, and my sponsor. Without the three of them, I really have no idea where I would be right now. After them comes the more inactive supporters, being my mother, my husband, and the few friends and family that actually are aware that I have quit drinking. Living 1,000 miles away from 99% of the people in your life, it's easy for people to not find out what is going on in your life until you are ready to tell them yourself.

Oh. And, up there, even above SR and AA, would be God. Although we have not had the best relationship over the years (I was a Sunday School drop out at age 5, and never really looked back), I'm learning that I cannot do this without my Higher Power, and learning how to let Him back in.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I get the most support from my wife, she has been with me for over 20 years, and she is finally understanding my problem....being that I finally told her what it was. She doesn't want me to be put in bad situations, so she asks me how i am doing daily, or how I think I will handle an upcoming event or function. SR has probably been my second best support mechanism, and it's always here for me, and I use it daily....it has truly made the biggest difference for me. It makes me know that I am not alone, and the people and the input here are fantastic!! I also have a good buddy who I used to drink with alot, but who knows more about me personally than everyone aside from my wife, and although I don't see him often we keep up by text message, and i will let him know how many days and how it's going, and he texts back with kind words of encouragement.

The people who I know won't or haven't supported me in the past I have been keeping away from, or at least staying in situations with them where i don't feel any pressure. I also have a hand full of close business associates that I keep up to date with and they have also been very supportive of the sober thing as they call it.

So although I haven't done the meetings, (I have done them before), I feel I am getting a good amount of daily support, and I am staying active in my recovery and it's making a huge difference.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You all are my only support system I can have a conversation with..my dogs support me with tail wags and I get a great deal of peace from my relationship with God...I also would count a handful of books as part of my support system...and that's about it.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My Dad is extremely supportive, being a recovering alcoholic himself. My mother is a bit caught up in her own world to worry about my progress. So my Dad, SR and my growing book collection are my main pillars of support. I feel this is adequate - if it wasnt, id be seeking support elsewhere.

Im grateful to SR because it is teaching me compassion and tolerance, and theres some great like-minded individuals here. As for my Dad well my gratitude there is immeasurable.