Notices

HEALTHY!!! Thank you SR!

Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HEALTHY!!! Thank you SR!

I just wanted to say that I feel VERY HEALTHY!!! 8 days completely sober now.

The pain in my lower abdomen is now fully gone. I used to have pain on either side very low in my abdomen on the day after a drinking binge. The pain would last a few days and would slowly disappear if I stopped drinking. I have no idea what it is but am 100% sure it was because of my drinking. I feel so healthy now that I've stopped -- no pain, no hangovers, no physical effects whatsoever. All I needed to do was to stop and my body is healing.

I just joined this wonderful gym and I plan to spend a lot of time there -- I already do yoga, but plan to add other activities to the mix. It is an alcohol free zone with a little cafe with healthy foods and drinks. It's nice to fill my evenings there with my daughter who joined with me. I am making other changes in my life as well to help my recovery. I'm cutting out activities that were stressing me out or holding me back from getting to where I need to be.

I am rediscovering hobbies and interests that I had and finding other fun ways to spend my time. There is something just so NOT fun about spending your evenings home alone drinking and Facebooking! LOL - I can't even believe that was how I spent my evenings. I am learning different ways of coping with stress that do not involve alcohol. I still have a lot of work to do, but I'm on the right track.

I have learned so much from the people here at SR and just wanted to say thanks to everyone for sharing so much and thanks to the people who run this website. It can help so many -- it may take some time, as it did with me -- but if you stick with it, things can really happen! I have spent a lot of time reading everyone's posts, absorbing information, and it has been soooo helpful to me. I joined here a little over a year ago hoping to change my life and it's finally happening.

xo Laura
Old 08-21-2010, 01:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats! I am so happy to hear things are going great for you. You sound like you are doing awesome. Hang on to all this positive feeling-its only going to get better as you continue in your sobriety.

I can realte to the healing side of things too. My body was pretty messed up after all the things I did to it. The human body is amazing.

On a side note, I would take a trip to your Dr. if you can to check out that pain you had. I had been going to the Dr regularly before I got sober, and after and I can tell you it is a great idea. Letting the Dr. know what symptoms you had, even though gone is a good thing. And, the Dr's are always glad to hear about your new healthy habits.

All the best and keep up the great work!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement, HIgby!!!

Re: the doctor, you are very right. I should and will do that. I had been putting off going to the doctor while actively drinking (other than my yearly OB/GYN checkups) for obvious reasons. I think many of us do that because we don't really want know the damage we are doing -- as if by hiding our heads in the sand everything is okay (when I fully know that it is not). I plan to get a full check up soon, even though I'm feeling good. I'm not so scared to go to the doctor anymore now that I have stopped drinking. Good advice, thank you!
Old 08-21-2010, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Congrats Laura. That is great that things are working out well for you. Keep going!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Laura,

I am absolutely thrilled that you are doing so well.

Like you, I made many small changes in my life in the early weeks of recovery. And, before I knew it, my lifestyle had changed. I think that you are listening to your body and getting back in touch with yourself. I am so glad that you are seeing the benefits of sobriety.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YAY for you TJ! So happy to here of your success! Keeping racking up those sober days!

Xo-Beth
Old 08-21-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hey girl!! I'm sitting here just smiling while I read your post! You sound great, and I'm so happy for you. Glad you're seeing things you need to change in your life - I'm trying to sort through all the extra baggage I've carried around with me too. The gym sounds cool - wish I could join you! (I've yet to do anything about the exercise thingy, but one of these days......)

Congrats on 8 days, Laura!!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you very much all. This is so much more doable with the support of friends, even the online ones

Not only am I feeling healthy and my depression is gone, but my life is so much simpler. I no longer have to plan on being home alone to get trashed at a certain time, how not to have wine in the house at all times except the amount I want to drink in one night, how to avoid phone calls in the evening from family when drinking, how not to be hungover on certain days, how to fit in workouts around the hangovers, how to avoid being seen by neighbors while drinking and walking my dog or putting out the trash, how to hide the wine bottle empties, how to remember all the things I did the night before .... you get the picture.

I am grateful to have such a supportive (and smart) bunch of friends here!
Old 08-21-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ghostly: I love your Scooby Doo Avatar (my kids and I are big fans!)

Anna: Your words were right on target. Thank you.

Alex and Artsoul: Thanks for being there for me! Big hugs to you both!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 09:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm thrilled too to hear you feel well Laura!

Don't be scared of the Dr...go and cross it off your list.
You'll feel even better, believe me

D