Notices

My Day 2 Feelings..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Day 2 Feelings..

This morning has been different than yesterday. Didn't get much sleep after the horror movie of a nightmare I had til 2am... try going back to sleep after having to trick and kill a cannibal who tried to eat you and your husband!

Anyway, so far I just want to cry over everything. Haven't had time to be alone yet, workout, or even have my coffee in peace. Ex husband called me at 8am to ask me whether or not I made an appt for our 13 yr old today. (he was goofing off in the pool and fell on his side which is now brusied. - my ex thinks he has bruised ribs and is freaking out over it but I know he's just sore from the fall, which the doctor confirmed this morning. Nothing but some muscular bruising and needs ibuprofen)

Idiot drivers are everywhere also! .. so I'm feeling a little on edge.. LOL just a little?!? I'm sooo tired and absent minded.. Want to get out of this funk!

Sorry for the vent. It's good to get things out in words.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you will feel normal again, sooner hopefully. Be kind to yourself while your body is getting used to being without the alcohol. some light exercise if you feel up to it earlier in the day will help make you tired...the weird dreams will subside too.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Venting is a good thing. Highly recommended over our prior ways of coping I would say! Hang in there eremc08. Crying is ok too.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks!! And yes, I agree it is better than our prior ways. I actually just had my first urge a minute ago, since stopping. Normally I would make lunch for the kids and myself if I was hungry, then come upstairs and pour a glass. This is strange!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well, I think it's a lot of uncharted territory we have to go through when we first stop drinking. I remember believing that I could not get through a single evening without a drink.

You're doing great!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks! The thing I hate most right now is feeling weak at all.. I don't ever want to come back to this point so I'm making myself get through it. I do not want to go backwards!!
Old 08-20-2010, 10:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Having booze around the house and available certainly makes things harder so do yourself a favor and get rid of it if you have to.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day two eremc - keep it going!

D
Old 08-20-2010, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 08-20-2010, 07:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sounds like you're right on track...... the brain fog, feeling overwhelmed or short tempered, urges, nightmares, insomnia....... it's all a part of the process.

I had to keep things as simple as possible for a week or two because I couldn't handle much at all. Like Anna said, it all seems strange at first while our bodies and brain readjust. Everyone's different, but I'll bet you'll be singing a new tune in another couple of days. Hang in there!!!:ghug3
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

Those early days can be brutal. I didn't know if I was coming or going; I just knew I was doing it without booze. Once the "fog" lifted, and I began to eat and sleep normally, everything else got a lot easier. Just keep at it; before long, you'll be amazed at how great you feel.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Keep at it! Only good things can result from not drinking. I've quit several times and after a few days of the brain fog, and sweats (and general depression) I felt much, much better.

Today I attended an AA meeting and was sweating pretty steady throughout the day, but during the meeting I didn't sweat at all. And the A/C wasn't even turned up that high. I just felt like I was in the right place.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dont let the Drink win , you can do this.

We are all here for you rooting you on x
Old 08-21-2010, 03:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Drink a lot of water....Gatorade and juices are also good.
Eat small meals of bland food..
Scrmbled eggs.....Oatmeal and Toast ..Puddings ...Ice Cream

Try to limit caffeine ..it makes you janglely.
And you already are.

Bubble baths do relax especially with a scented candle and
smooth music as background.
Crying is really good too......

Pretend you are coming off a bad case of the flu
and be gentle with yourself.

Yes! you too can win over alcohol...millions of us are doing
that very thing each day.

Come back and let us know how you are doing....k?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
not little, a stranger no more

I can only agree with the previous posters, and there has been great adivice-vent if you need, and be kind to yourself. I had terrible nightmares too in the beginning. I remember how I tried to convince myself that this state of the early days wouldn't last forever, and that if I just got through it, I hopefully wouldn't have to go through that ever again. all I can tell you is keep going, and it will get better. You can make it!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I've used the same tactics as Carol--pretending to have the flu has helped me during the first few days of withdrawal. It's especially helpful if you don't have to go to work or have any pressing responsibilities...then you can give yourself permission to act as though you have the flu--pamper yourself, stay in your jammies, watch t-v all day and read--guilt free.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JosetteCollins View Post
I've used the same tactics as Carol--pretending to have the flu has helped me during the first few days of withdrawal. It's especially helpful if you don't have to go to work or have any pressing responsibilities...then you can give yourself permission to act as though you have the flu--pamper yourself, stay in your jammies, watch t-v all day and read--guilt free.
I don't have a job I drive to.. I stay at home with my 4 kids Yesterday I needed to get out of the house so I went to the mall. Thing is, I didn't even know what kind of style I was anymore since I usually went shopping with a buzz and it would alter my mood so I felt all sexy and would just buy the first few things that appealed to that feeling. This time, however, I was stuck. I tried to remember, before I started drinking, what "style" I was. I was never that girl who had to dress obviously sexy or even need to gain any attention at all. I was just me. (if that makes sense) I like feeling sexy but not dressing sexy. So, anyway, after hours of walking around 1 store I picked out a ton of stuff and tried it on at home. I'm only keeping 2 shirts and the jeans I bought. Returning all the other stuff that I think I would have bought a week ago shopping drunk. LOL
Old 08-21-2010, 06:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

That's great that you're feeling well enough to go shopping for clothes at a mall. It sounds like you're through the worst of the yucky physical stuff! I used to go shopping with a buzz, too....it does take more thought to shop sober, lol
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I had a terrible time shopping for ANYTHING when I first got sober. It was like my "decision maker" was broken. I'd stand in front of shelves at the grocery store unable to decide what kind of soup to buy. Ordering in restaurants took FOREVER.

It has to do with brain-fog, I think. I was constantly feeling distracted, like I didn't know who I was or what I wanted.

Shopping was a lousy diversion for me in the beginning.