Notices

slipped but back on again uggg!!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

mcmurphy.....Glad to know you are heading back to AA....

When I began doing my AA Steps....I felt a shift in perception
from shakey sobriety ..into solid recovery....

Step 1 time for you? I certainly hope so.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:16 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Glad to see you both back BoChuck and McMurphy.

I too had a several months down and hit a snag and picked right back up. I didn't let my relapse get me down and neither should either of you. I learned from it and moved forward stronger then before. I realized that willpower was not enough, that I need additional help like counseling and I also learned as much as could about Alcoholism and the importance of recovery.

I am grateful and blessed to have SR throughout my journey and the biggest thing I learned??? I can not moderate/cut back and I can never have a sip again. That is at the foundation of my recovery and I will tell you and anyone right now. If for whatever reason my life takes a turn and my current methods are not working.....then I will reach out for further support.

Sobriety is a blessing and I work my arse everyday at it.

Keep the journey going and you will get there!!!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bochuck View Post
Has anyone any suggestions. After 52 days sober then wham bam!!! I don't even remember why I did. We all went to dinner after work and I thought well a wine won't hurt. That night I got wasted. Then since I ruined it I thought screw it I screwed up so the next day I bought a bottle of wine, then a few days later 2 bottles. Then I went on holiday and was actually good just had 2 glasses each night. Four days ago I bought a box which equals 5 bottles It was finished in 3 days. I seemed to get wasted every night. Fought with hubby every night. The anxiety the next mornings whew awful. So without me continuing babbeling does anyone know any suggestions how to do it differently???? I wish I could just have 2-3 glasses and stop at that.

If you're an alcoholic you can never have just 2-3 glasses of wine and stop...sorry. The disease of alcoholism makes your body crave alcohol and your mind obsess about it. Have you tried AA? It's been the miracle for me and thousands of other people who couldn't manage to stop on their own. If you're willing to give it a shot, just try going to a meeting or two. Or if you aren't interested in meetings you might try reading some AA literature; I think you'd find it helpful and it would answer the question you have: "How should I do it differently?" The AA "Big Book" is available to read online - just look up the Alcoholics Anonymous website.

Coming here to SR is also an invaluable help in staying sober. Visit regularly, read and post to the threads, and join in the chat room. And remember: if you were able to stop for 52 days once you can certainly do it again - and for even longer. Best wishes to you...

Stephanie
Old 08-21-2010, 06:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bochuck View Post
Has anyone any suggestions. After 52 days sober then wham bam!!! I don't even remember why I did. We all went to dinner after work and I thought well a wine won't hurt. That night I got wasted. Then since I ruined it I thought screw it I screwed up so the next day I bought a bottle of wine, then a few days later 2 bottles. Then I went on holiday and was actually good just had 2 glasses each night. Four days ago I bought a box which equals 5 bottles It was finished in 3 days. I seemed to get wasted every night. Fought with hubby every night. The anxiety the next mornings whew awful. So without me continuing babbeling does anyone know any suggestions how to do it differently???? I wish I could just have 2-3 glasses and stop at that.
Sounds like a you turned a lapse into a relapse. It happens to everyone and people learn form relapses, sometimes that is what it takes to succeed. If you find yourself in that situation again remember a slip is a slip. Brush yourself off and get back into your recovery.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Well day two here we go again. I know I can never ever have a sip of any alcohol. I will be on here for support.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Hi Bochuck -

For me, I kept thinking that "it will be different next time". It wasn't.

I always felt I was a logical person - someone who would look at evidence and then make logical conclusions from that evidence. But alas, the disease of alcoholism is so baffling and powerful that it hijacked my thinking. I couldn't see that I was doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result (which as you know is a definition of insanity).

So, as to what to do next? I can only speak to what worked for me.

First, I had to be brutally honest with myself. I had to admit that I was an alcoholic. This took many tries at moderation and 6 months of sobriety, so I know it is hard.

Second, I had to accept that I didn't have the answer this time. I couldn't solve it myself. I had to be open-minded to any and all ideas - even if they made me uncomfortable. I found other people who were more successful than I and asked them for help.

Third, I had to be willing to take action to actively work on my recovery. This meant going to meetings, helping others, posting on SR, speaking to groups, reading about alcoholism, etc.

Today, I have about 19 months of sobriety. This is Ok, but I still consider myself a newcomer. I am on SR right now actively working on my own recovery. I try to do something for my recovery every day.

So, for a very concrete first step - go to an AA meeting and get yourself a Big Book and read it. You can decide whether you like AA later, but this is a good first step that will probably stop you from drinking for that day.

And, keep posting on SR, use the SR chat. Don't isolate yourself. We all want the best for you and hope you find happiness.