Notices

Nights are hell

Old 08-19-2010, 09:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Nights are hell

Last night was hell. I think I'm still there. If I could sleep I could drive and I could get out of the house (but then the triggers would start wouldn't they?) I don't know which is worse. The nights are the worst. I've become so obsessed about not sleeping because the other w/d symptoms are not around. I'm tired of laying around the house because I don't feel sick anymore. I just CANNOT SLEEP!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

bluewheel, I just read your other posts and it sounds like you haven't slept in days. I think you need medical attention. Seriously. Have someone take you to the doctor, or even the ER.

God Bless you and good luck.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I feel you, bluewheel...the insomnia I experienced in my first days of sobriety was torture. Could you possibly see a doctor about getting some sleep medication? There are meds that are safe even for alcoholics or addicts to take, and there's no reason for you to suffer if you don't have to. In the meantime, you might try some herbal tea (Sleepytime Extra is great) and getting some exercise - those things might help with the sleep. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephnc View Post
I feel you, bluewheel...the insomnia I experienced in my first days of sobriety was torture. Could you possibly see a doctor about getting some sleep medication? There are meds that are safe even for alcoholics or addicts to take, and there's no reason for you to suffer if you don't have to. In the meantime, you might try some herbal tea (Sleepytime Extra is great) and getting some exercise - those things might help with the sleep. Hang in there and keep us posted.
Yes I agree, exercise and the Sleepytime herbal tea will definitely help!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

took the melatonin last nite. did nothing. am on my treadmill a couple times a day walking the last couple days. I remember the first time I cleaned up after years of use and I didn't sleep for about 12 days - but I was in a rehab facility then. They weren't medically concerned that I wasn't sleeping. 20 minutes will come and then boom... I'm up for the duration. This time I only used for about 3 months and I expected it to be hard but I don't expect it to be 12 days! But maybe it will. That is why I shipped off the kids and called into work until next tuesday- but even that is not 12 days!!! I'm a pill popper so just going to the dr and or the pharmacy is a part of my addiction that I do not feel I can use. No one has ever died from sleep deprivation right? Unless they are driving I guess, which I am not. Just keep talking to me please. This site is really helping me right now.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:39 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are not alone. I cant sleep well either. It really does suck but from what I hear, it will get better. Hang in there and be strong.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ya, the no sleep part is tough. For me its like my mind gets tired, but my body aches a bit and I get restless legs which kills any chance of getting GOOD sleep. Percocet/Lortab was my drug and I recall the great sleep I would get with them. It makes it hard, but also makes me not ever want to depend on them again. it will get better, it has to....
Old 08-19-2010, 02:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Trying not to stress out that the "night" time is coming. That will just make the not sleeping worse. This will be night 5. I've been on the treadmill a couple times today, Did some light cleaning, Rested but didn't sleep, Showered, Ate and spent time here as well as with the television. Today was a good day. I'm good. It's just the nights that are hell as the original title of these posts. I think I'll stay here a bit more... treadmill again and who knows.....
Old 08-19-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the nights start to get a little easier for you soon bluewheel.

D
Old 08-19-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This has nothing to do with addiction or recovery
but perhaps you can find something useful
I sure hope so.....

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures
Old 08-19-2010, 09:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here we go again... I'm really really trying not to get stressed out so I'm letting out the frustration here. I did the right things today. Stayed up all day, walked, tried to keep the brain and body active. Thought I was getting tired about 730 but I guess I wasn't. Thought again about 10. Here I am. Trying not to be very active. Keeping house dark and cool. Took another shower. Not basking in the drama believe me... no drama is good drama to me... but geez louise! I'm going to keep hoping that I can find that one television show that is boring as hell! My bedroom is where I am getting my 20 minutes of sleep at when it comes but laying down that long without sleeping is killing my back so I have to get up when I don't think it's coming. I gotta keep believing that my body will crash when it needs to. Right? I did this once. I can do it again. Then NEVER again. Night 5... coming onto day 6.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey BlueWheel

Congrats on your sober time so far!

I do feel what your going through. I also have major insomnia, have all my life as long as I can remember when I was drinking or sober. I get on average 3 hours sleep on a good day and sometimes no sleep at all.

I am not sure how the no sleep affects you but if you are like me then turn this around into something of an advantage. Lots can get done when the body does not require much sleep
Old 08-19-2010, 10:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sleep is a real issue for me too, even before I drank. I hope it eases up for you. I understand the frustration of walking until you are tired, exercising, not drinking caffeine, avoiding tv etc. and once you're in bed, just staring at nothing for hours...
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You see, right now I would be THANKFUL for three hours of sleep. Anything more than 20 minutes. I am literally going to scream right now cause I went back up at a little after 12 and here I am and now I have been feeling like I could throw up for the last hour. Don't know if that is the not sleeping or a 'bug' or what - cause I have felt fine for the last couple days. I know I can do this I know I can. I did it before. Right? But holy cow... I'm not in a dedicated rehab facility this time. I'm starting to feel that maybe that makes a difference in the way I handled things last time????
Old 08-20-2010, 01:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

that's not healthy...perhaps you should see a dr
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know my sleep was minimal at first but for me it did get a bit better each night.

Suggest as others here that you chat with the dr.

Feel better.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:29 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

as much as I hate to say it.... after the last hours that I have just had... the first call at 815am that I will be making is to the dr. I had my mind made up that I wasn't going to take anything because I did it once and if I was going to stop taking pills it would be all pills. I thought I could do this not sleep thing again. but I cannot have another night like this. I will end up driving somewhere I shouldn't be. but 1. I don't want to place my faith that whatever she gives me will work. 2. I don't want to just switch opiates for benzo's = brainwise - although benzo's never really been my thing. I'm scared for either 1 or 2 to happen.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hiya hun,

Just a thought you sleep in the daytime at all?

Just asking this cos I had this problem a number of years ago and found that as nightime came, I was so frustrated that by the time I got to bed I had worked myself up to such an extent and would lay there so tired but wide a wake crying.

I turned nighttime into daytime for a week, slept in the day whenever I could, laying on sofa watching TV and then at nighttime would do all the cleaning, washing, ironing, eating, as if it was daytime. I made my day time sleeps later and later in the day until my body got back into sync again.

If you can get some sleep in the day it will make you feel better I think.

*hugs,

Suzie xx
Old 08-20-2010, 08:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I hope this doesn't go against the rules about giving medical advice, but I take a medication called Elavil which is an antidepressant but it's also used for sleep - and it works great. I too have had issues with pills - particularly ones that help me sleep - and my doctor has no qualms about me taking the elavil.

Another idea just to throw out there...sometimes when I can't fall asleep in my bedroom I go lie down somewhere else - in the guest room or on the sofa - and the change in environment helps...because I've begun to associate my bedroom with not sleeping, I have an easier time in a different room.

Good luck. God knows I can relate to what you're going through.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

valarian root is 100% natural and is not on prescription...i sometimes take them when I can't sleep. They don't block out ur REM sleep so they'll give healthy proper sleep.