Notices

Nights are hell

Old 08-20-2010, 08:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Ambien?

small perscription of ambien just got called in for me. Not sure how I feel about that but willing to try anything at this point. I've not taken that before... I don't want medical advice... just your own experience if you have any?

I'm gonna do what I've been doing during the day but I'll admitt that today that seems to be pretty hard and hopefully tonight I sleep with a prince named ambien. (I know not really funny... but i'm sleep deprived and have a sorted sense of humor right now.)
Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

haha I think it's funny....
Old 08-20-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

You will absolutely sleep with Prince Ambien tonight...that stuff is the bomb. I took it for years with no real problems except for when I didn't go to bed immediately after taking it...I did stuff I didn't remember the next day and generally acted weird around my family which freaked them out a bit. I also started abusing it right about the time I started drinking, but that was only after taking it safely for literally about 8 years. My suggestion is just to take it as prescribed, get in bed immediately after you take it, and don't take it for longer than you have to. Let us know how it works for you.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes, whatever you do make sure you are in bed when you take it and immediately shut your eyes for some sleepy time. I used ambien for awhile but now I do not because it no longer works for me, but it's not meant for long term use anyway. And if I did not take it in bed- like swallow it down with a glass of water on the night stand and immediately put my head to the pillow I would eat, walk around the apartment, paint... nothing harmful but it's like sleep walking, you don't remember it unless someone brings it to your attention. I don't mean to scare you- just take it exactly as prescribed (also a challenge for me, major escapist). You'll be fine. Enjoy your night's rest BTW in a pinch I can take a couple of benadryls to sleep but it takes forever to work, and sometimes gives me the hangover effect the next morning. But it beats nothing and thank goodness for coffee... Sleep- one of these days I hope we both get it without chemical enhancement!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluewheel View Post
Here we go again... I'm really really trying not to get stressed out so I'm letting out the frustration here. I did the right things today. Stayed up all day, walked, tried to keep the brain and body active. Thought I was getting tired about 730 but I guess I wasn't. Thought again about 10. Here I am. Trying not to be very active. Keeping house dark and cool. Took another shower. Not basking in the drama believe me... no drama is good drama to me... but geez louise! I'm going to keep hoping that I can find that one television show that is boring as hell! My bedroom is where I am getting my 20 minutes of sleep at when it comes but laying down that long without sleeping is killing my back so I have to get up when I don't think it's coming. I gotta keep believing that my body will crash when it needs to. Right? I did this once. I can do it again. Then NEVER again. Night 5... coming onto day 6.
Weather Channel does it for me.. I even put it on while I clean so I don't get distracted.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Day six. Not a good day at all. Major ANXIETY! Butterflies in the stomach - just cannot sit still. Where is this coming from? Went to the pharmacy - really quick. came home.... couldn't settle down to save my life. tried to walk, watch tv, clean... no avail. drove to pick up the kids thinking maybe having someone else in the house to feel normal again may help... oh crap.... I don't feel normal but I sure did miss the kids. Making arrangements for them to spend the night away from the house again so I can take the ambien and try to sleep tonight. Probably shouldve taken it as soon as I got home this afternoon but I don't want to screw up my days and nights and create anymore problems for my sleep pattern. Hopefully sleeping tonight (if the ambien helps) will help the anxiety. Sitting around the house is NOT a good idea anymore, but without sleep I am in a fog still - or is it a w/d fog? Driving today was tough. I know it sounds whimpy but it was so I came home again... more anxiety. Advice?
Old 08-20-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I didn't sleep for several days when I first got sober and had very short, interrupted sleep for a week or so after that. I had sleep problems prior to starting drinking (and is a big part of why I drank) so I know it can be frustrating.

What was helpful for me was to think of all the people with newborns who get very little sleep for extended periods and then get up and go to work in the morning. They feel tired, but it doesn't kill them. When you get tired enough, your body will crash and sleep well.

Also, just FYI, they've done studies that show that insomniacs who think they haven't slept at all in a night will often have gotten a few hours of on/off dozing without their realizing it. So it's likely you are getting some, intermittent sleep -- enough to keep your body going.

Ambien has worked well for me at times so I hope it's the same for you. Good luck and hang in there!

GG
Old 08-20-2010, 07:32 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Keep us posted as to how you are coming along. As a previous post indicates there are some sleep medications now available by prescription which purport to be non habit forming. I suggest that you consult your physician about this. As to prescriptions which may be habit forming, I would not accept a prescription unless it is only for a small amount and is not refillable. Again, consult your doctor as to this as well. It is wise to have your doctor keep a sharp eye on how much you take and how often you take it. At least this has been my experience. Over many many years I saw many doctors and now, using hindsight, frankly I am not impressed with some of the way they prescribed.
In this stage of early recovery it is very important to be under close supervision when you are an outpatient. Your body is likely to have a very strong influence over your mind for quite a considerable time. So be careful and don't trust yourself. Seek medical advice and make sure that this advice is the best you can get.
It is very imporant to start getting good sleep as soon as possible in order to lessen the risk of relapse but it is also crucial to safeguard yourself against addiction. So be careful. Good luck.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope the script works for you bluewheel.

D
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

took ambien at 830 went to bed. tossed, turned, looked at clock was 915. An hour later and here I am. There is not much else I can do other than scream.
Old 08-20-2010, 08:18 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Hope things are better for you tonight, bluewheel! (my psychiatrist prescribed Trazadone for me, which act as both an antidepressant and a sleep aid, and is not addictive, thank goodness). The ambien should help you, though.

From the posts at SR, it seems that the insomnia lasts maybe a week or two on average and it's quite annoying. I remember it well! I put on my TV, turned the sound down and put the closed caption thingy on, so that I had to read the dialogue sideways in order to watch the show! I found myself getting tired trying to do that and by the 5th or 6th day, I was at least getting 3-5 hours sleep. After that it just kept getting a little better each day.

Reading can be relaxing too. The thing is, it won't last forever, so keep your chin up!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:12 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bluewheel View Post
took ambien at 830 went to bed. tossed, turned, looked at clock was 915. An hour later and here I am. There is not much else I can do other than scream.
That really blows, bluewheel...I'm sorry that the ambien didn't knock you out quickly like it's supposed to. I hope you eventually got to sleep? Let us know how you're doing.

Stephanie
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hope you can manage to get some sleep BW. See how the Ambien goes....if it still isn't working then call up and let them know.

Just a side note for you.....if your dr. is prescribing meds make sure that they are aware of your past history. I was prescribed pain killers that caused anxiety/panic attacks because the docs never looked at my med records that stated I had years of alcohol abuse. We have to be our own advocates.

Huggs friend and try to relax.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Bluewheel: It's the weekend now so you can try to relax more and work on the sleeping. Try to simmer down and don't force things. The medication takes a little while to take effect so try to relax, maybe read a book, watch TV. Finally with luck your body will get bored. run up the white flag and surrender. Don't give in until it does. Then, if it goes like it did with me you will get a lot of heavy, restful sleep. It's going to happen. Just be patient.
And incidentally when it does happen, and when you are feeling rested again, then don't let your guard down. Never, never, never give in to the idea that it might be O.K. to take "just one" drink. Just think of all the suffering you've had to go through. Your recovery is like money in the bank. Don't let anything or anyone take it away from you. It's your most precious possession.
Hang in there. If the meds don't work then call your doctor. Good luck. Keep in touch.

Last edited by wpainterw; 08-21-2010 at 07:39 AM. Reason: correct typos
Old 08-21-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

After a couple hours freaking out after my last post that I still wasn't going to get any sleep I went back upstairs and cried and cried and cried and.....
WOKE UP AT 8AM!!!!!!!!!! I met the kids for practice and had some breakfast with them. Finally some sleep. I am still having anxiety this morning but I think that it is just because I haven't worked all week and my kids aren't home and things aren't "normal' for me. I need my schedule back and I think I will feel more comfort. What I have discovered is the online listing for the meetings in my community are over 2 years old and the central office isn't open today. My first rehab and recovery was thru AA. I notice that there are subscribers here that are not using the steps and was just wondering if you could tell me what is working for you. I will more than likely go back to AA but was never really told I had a choice other than doing it 'on my own' and you can see how well that worked! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for your support over the last few days! I honestly don't think I couldve made it without the support I found here!!! Day 7!!! (I'm not counting the nights anymore).
Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There's usually someone manning the phones even if the office isn't open. Our intergroup uses a forwarding service to hook you up with a volunteer who can give you meeting info. Try calling the number anyway.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Artsoul mentioned Trazadone and that is what I took. I was adament about not taking pills and the treatment center suggested it and it turned out fine. I use SMART Recovery because it is a great therapy, based program.
SH
Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I hate the insomnia!!! Yogi tea Bedtime and Calming mixed together with a melatonin, does help..Try it.. I really hope you get some rest soon.
Xo
Old 08-21-2010, 06:01 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Found one and went. turns out there were only 4 of us! was a good day! movie with the kids tonight and it was a good day!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:03 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
SR Fan

YEA!