Notices

In Love with the Big Book

Old 08-18-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In Love with the Big Book

I'm on day number 8 of sobriety. I believe these past days have been much easier with the big book and AA meetings every day. If it weren't for these, I would be hung over today. I know this.

Here's a quote from the book I underlined. I'm sure we have all felt this way.

"More than most people, the alcoholic leads a double life. He is very much the actor. To the outer world he presents his stage character. This is the one he likes his fellows to see. He wants to enjoy a certain reputation, but knows in his heart he doesn't deserve it.
The inconsistency is made worse by the things he does on his sprees. Coming to his senses, he is revolted at certain episodes he vaguely remembers. These memories are a nightmare. He trembles to think someone might have observed him. As fast as he can, he pushes these memories far inside himself. He hopes they will never see the light of day.

........and this is the kicker.....

He is under constant fear and tension - that makes for more drinking."

Okay, gotta go to work now. I'm a little nervous about some tension that's been happening at work lately - but I'm going to trust in a higher power and hope for the best. Have a good day everyone!

BB Quote..1st. Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 08-18-2010 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Added Source per SR guideline
Old 08-18-2010, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That quote from the Big Book really resonated with me as well. I just finished reading the first 164 pages and need to read the rest of it.

The Big Book contained more truth than I expected; however, it was also harder to read than I'd expected. I blamed the stilted, old-fashioned language. Maybe it was a mental block, though. I am glad I powered through it.

Keep on with your quit. You're doing great!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

There is a lot in that book that makes sense to me. I'm glad a group of alcoholics decided to write stuff about me. It has helped me.

Good post.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
I'm a little nervous about some tension that's been happening at work lately
Just remember, work can annoy you, make you nervous, be frustrating, etc...but a hard day in the office is never going to kill you.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well Done on your early progress....

vertigo ....I find prayer iimmensley calming
This keeps me in balance..

The Serenity Prayer

.God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change,
courage to change the things I can,
and the wisdom to know the difference.

Last edited by CarolD; 08-18-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

LorazapamBlue....
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing the first quote. Have yet to delve into the Big Book, but I will after reading that.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

uniblab ....
Welcome to SR
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

vertigo,looks like you are off to a good start.I hope you sick with it and do well.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The first time I picked up the Big Book, I read "Bill's Story" and I felt bad for him. As time went by I found myself reading a little more here and there, just random. And continuously found myself reading about me, for I could identify with it all so good. The second time I read "Bill's Story", I didn't feel sorry for him, but I started indentifying and kind of feeling sorry for me. That part is one of them, and yes I could identify with it. I was constantly trying to fit in and would become whatever a type of person it would take to be a part of.

Many times I remembered or was told about the way I acted and things I had done, that certainly didn't sit right in my stomach. And yes, that constant fear certainly brought on more drinking for me.

Reading more from the Big Book and identifying more and more as I read, I finally came to the conclusion, I must be one of them too.

I am an alcoholic,

Harry
Old 08-18-2010, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on Day8 Vertigo

D
Old 08-18-2010, 02:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I first bought the book about 3 years ago I couldn't get into then I picked it up a few times that's about it.Then Monday I pulled it off the shelf and immediatly I was hooked.There's soooo much info in there for being such a small book.It's taken me this long to get to pg. 115 but only cause I will read something and re-read it just to make sure I totally understand. It made me feel alot btter knowing I wasn't the only one out there that couldn't have just one drink and quit. I feel much better about quiting this time I have faith I will be able to stop drinking The Book and this forum along with AA I start tonite.But the book I will definatly read more than just once.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I tried reading the Big Book around 10 years ago, and it didn't work. I was still drinking at the time too, and wasn't ready to quit. Lately I only read passages from the online version once in a while and people's quotes here. It speaks to me a lot more now, and I'm glad. If anyone has tried reading it in the past (and it didn't go very far), maybe you should give it another go, because you might have a different/better reaction.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Vertigo, I'm glad you were able to identify with that part in the BB, me too! I hope you find more and more. What Harry said was true for me too. The more I read, the more I realized that I too am an alcoholic. Then the process begins and I haven't looked back. Welcome and God Bless