Notices

day 3 for me!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 3 for me!

I'm 38 yrs old been drinking since around 13 or so not sure when just know I was very young. I've tried to quit I don't know how many times I've promised my loved ones they've threatened to take my kids away everything.They thought I would learn. I can't believe the way I get when i'm drunk it's not me this isn't who I am I have no idea who that person is. All I know is it is out of my control. I went last week with no drink!! I was proud of my self then on sat. which weekends is the worse for me one of my friends came out and insiisted i had a beer.I didn't want to I have to much to loose but I thought what the hell just one ,then just two before ya know it I was drunk it all happens so fast. I've owned The AA book for 3yrs first time I picked it up I didn't get into it I suppose cause I honestly wasn't ready I picked it up 3days ago and relized I'm not the only one who is like this. There is help for me!!! There is a way to change!!! So here it is day 3 I'm working on inventory of my life and my higher power. I'm very excited about my new beginning. I know I can do this and I will do this.I'm glad to have found this forum I've read around on here and there is alot of help here Thanks to everyone out there and the help you are giving to us!!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 04:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Another Monday starter here. Here's to a good third day.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 3 for me as well. I am 31 and have been an alcoholic most of my life, sneaking drinks since the age of 11 and been blacking out more and more often.
I went to my 1st AA meeting on Monday. Actually I went to 2 on monday and 1 yesterday. I can't today but will go again tomorrow. I don't have a "big book" but I opened one at a meeting yesterday and it looked confusing.
I hope I can really get the willpower back to substain from a drink from now on.
Good luck Stayinsober.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, youll find heaps of people from AA here to share stories with AND lots of other people achieving sobriety with all sorts of other programs and plans....

Keep posting, there's something positive to learn from every person here
Old 08-20-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scared1 View Post
Day 3 for me as well. I am 31 and have been an alcoholic most of my life, sneaking drinks since the age of 11 and been blacking out more and more often.
I went to my 1st AA meeting on Monday. Actually I went to 2 on monday and 1 yesterday. I can't today but will go again tomorrow. I don't have a "big book" but I opened one at a meeting yesterday and it looked confusing.
I hope I can really get the willpower back to substain from a drink from now on.
Good luck Stayinsober.
Scared1 will power will NOT work Ive drank for I think 25 yrs. I don't remember exactly how young I was I know I was very very young. I was an alchoholic ffrom that very 1st drink.How many times in 20 yrs. have I tried to quit on my own and failed miserbly. I've been asking myself 'what's wrong with me' and 'why can't I just stop' or atleast have a few then stop. But I can't alcohol has a strong lead-pull on me I can't stop this by myself has nothing to do with will power. We have to turn it over to our higher power. Maybe you can I don't know you or your story I know my life and the things that happened to me and my family caused by drinking that should have been enough to make me stop.But I just drank more and more then the black out started coming sooner and lots more.Maybe it's time for you to give up on will power and look to your higher power, I'm just on day 5 but that's ok. We will make it with God as my witness I am turning my problems over to him.Good luck I wish the very best for you!!!
Old 08-20-2010, 11:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Willpower can be enough alone. Although from what ive seen online its not common, but im one of those rare few that aside from SR, have had no professional support. Ive always had people I trust with addiction that I can talk to - my own kind of 'sponsor'

Regardless, whether youre running on willpower or whatever program, this is the right place to find support and experience. God is not a necessary part of every successful recovery, leading people to believe so is IMO dangerous.

scared1: I found the big book confusing in parts too, but parts of it were really good! If you come across the 'small book', I found that pretty helpful too - its not as common as the big book, but I think one day it will be......good luck, hope youre sleeping better now
Old 08-20-2010, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe it's semantics...but this is an important thing I think.

I'm in the same 'lone wolf' camp as you Ainslie...and I agree with stayinsober - it's not willpower that's got me here.

Tried that and failed for 20 years. Fighting myself got me nowhere.

What did help was acceptance - accepting I was an alcoholic and finally accepting the fact that I cannot drink alcohol - ever - if I want to keep this great new life I have.

congrats on day 5 stayinsober
D
Old 08-20-2010, 02:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Everyone is different just need to figure out how to stop and stick with it, I know what's working for me, so far so good. I know I can't do willpower though tried that too many times , landed me in a same place every single damn time I tried actually it got worse every time. What I wrote was just my theory,I wanted to share.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't mean to hijack your thread stayinsober

D
Old 08-20-2010, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dee74 That's fine I didn't even realize it was mine til u mentioned it.....LOL
Old 08-20-2010, 03:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

5!!
Old 08-20-2010, 05:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

All good I know its a common 'debate' around here. I guess it comes down to different peoples perception of the word willpower?

/hijack]
Old 08-20-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Willpower.

Who's will?
Old 08-20-2010, 05:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL

my bad - I thought it an important point to make...but lets not forget this thread's to support stayinsober

D
Old 08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In my experience the power that I felt when I wanted something badly enough NOTHING would stand in my way.

Different strokes for different folks mate, willpower is the be all and end all for some.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
stayingstraight

All I have is SR, willpower and God. Oh...and my own choices, which means my own consequences I create, that I will have to live with. SS
Old 08-21-2010, 06:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

day 6!!! and it's a saturday which is my hardest to make it through,which I did with out any probs. Thank you SR
Old 08-21-2010, 07:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Awesome work
Old 08-22-2010, 06:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You're definitely NOT the only one as you will see on this site. I haven't gone more than 3 days without yet.. today is day 4 for me and I've been drinking for 13 years. Saying NO is probably really hard.. I haven't had to do it yet. I'm trying to keep myself away from situations with booze.. I'm just not ready.
Maybe evaluate your friends and I wouldn't hang out with those who will try and influence you to drink. I don't have any friends who don't drink but my husband doesn't so I'm just hanging out with him for now. If we get invited out, I know I will have him there to support me and not let me drink. If you want to hang out with your friends, you could invite along a non drinking buddy to help you. Keep your chin up and welcome!!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Eremc you're right, I have to change who I hang out with which doesn't bother me I'm ready to find a different types of friends that don't drink and find pleasure in life with out boozing it up. I at this point don't trust myself to be around any alchohol I still find it hard to say no especially when they don't take NO for an answer. Right now the best place for me is AA, church and being with family.