Notices

So happy I could drive - twice!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Idiot!

So happy I could drive - twice!

We were away on a break staying at a friend's mum's. The next to last day there was about 15 people there, family pool party, food, drinks, my friend got into an argument with his mum (she is a bit mental lol) so she decided that she did not want any of us staying there that night - which meant a quick pack up and a 280 mile drive home for me. SO glad I was sober and could take the responsinility to get everyone home safely - when I was drinking I would have been leathered so goodness knows where we would have ended up as I was the only driver.

Also, if I had been drinking there is no doubt I would have been right in the middle of the fight and it would have been much worse than it was.

The next day after driving another 150 miles to take my friend home, early evening my son started with stomach pains. I had to take him to 3 different locations - a hospital 15 miles away being the final one, where we were up all night. Again, if I had been drinking as soon as I had dropped my friend off I would have been straight on the booze - to calm my nerves/relax after the drive/to make up for such a stressful week etc. etc.

But I was sober - level-headed and able to cope well where in the past I would have been a mess.

So glad I was sober-Stu. Of use to my fellow humans instead of being a total hinderance.

The benefits large and small keep arriving day after day these are the things that strengthen my resolve and help me keep on track when the dark times pass through.

Just wanted to share my sense of achivement with you all - sorry if it seems self-indulgent

Stu.

The boy has had his appendix out and is fine! Home later today.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

So proud of you Stu and I can tell you are REALLY happy about how you coped with those stressful situations you found yourself in and you coped amazingly well indeed. Great stuff

Big hugs to your son, hope he doesnt hurt too much

Suzie x
Old 08-18-2010, 05:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yup, that's one of the true blessings of sobriety--other people can COUNT on you again!

WTG, Stu!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

That's awesome! Not that it compares, but when I first got sober, my puppy got really sick one night, around midnight and I had to take her to an ER vet about a half hour from my house, I probably would have slept through her whines and cries and ignored her medical needs if I had been drinking.

I also remember going through my first DUI checkpoint after quitting drinking, felt great to say "no, I haven't been drinking" when the officer checked my vehicle.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nice one man!!! Yer I was no use to anybody, least myself, when I was drinking. I couldn;t get out of bed and didn't care enough about myself to bother taking care of myself. I was only good to get wasted again. That is all I wanted to do and could get excited about doing.

I feel like I've done an awful lot of growing up in my sobriety and recovery over the last 13+ months. I used to feel uneasy about 'growing up too soon' and all that back in earlier sobriety but I got through it and I like having a sense of purpose in my life.

Peace
Old 08-18-2010, 08:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can relate to that! It's a wonderful feeling isn't it? I have taken my kids to the emergency room, the police for a police report, picked them up and dropped them off late at night in all kinds of weather, and it is such a great feeling to know I can do that now.

Before, I would have asked my husband to drive, taken a taxi or just not showed up for life and not done anything.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good for you chopper! You deserve to pat yourself on the back. My daughter wanted me in the delivery room with she and her husband when both of my grandsons were born, the first time she went into labor around 2 am...of course I was drunk but my friend got me to the hospital; the baby didn't come until around 9 am I think and I remember being absolutely miserable and had to go home and crash within minutes of the baby being born. The 2nd one arrived this past December and again I was at the hospital for hours before he arrived but this time I was sober, rested, and it was 1 of the best experiences of my life!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Way to go. I always struggled with the fact that when I was drunk (beit the middle of the night) if my kid or family needed me for somethign I would be less than useful and certainly could not drive. Well that situation never tested me and I feel I dosged the bullet many many times......it was like playing the lottery. The lottey nobody wants to win.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Staying sober has so many rewards, not the least of which is being able and ready in case of emergencies. Good for you!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Chopper, gotta say I can relate! The "little" things like being sober and being able to drive any time you need to is wonderful!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

it's the little victories like being able to cope and react logically in situations that really show you how far you have come.

I'm glad your son is OK too.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats to ya, soberStu
Glad your sons ok

D
Old 08-19-2010, 02:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Idiot!

SoberStu lol I feel a new username coming on ha ha!
Old 08-19-2010, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I also remember going through my first DUI checkpoint after quitting drinking, felt great to say "no, I haven't been drinking" when the officer checked my vehicle.

Hadn't thought of that one. I don't have to check the newspaper every Friday to see where they'll be set up!!