Notices

Howdy

Old 08-17-2010, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Howdy

I'm a 40 year old father of 3, with another on the way, and I've averaged about 10-12 beers a day for better than 15 years.

On an average day, I'll grab a 24-oz on the way home from work and drink it in the car on the backroads, then drop by the grocery in town for a six pack at the local grocery. We live in the country, so I'll have a couple more on those back roads, get home, have a couple more, then run down to the carryout for another six. Can't run out, ya know?

Then we'll have dinner and I'll drink some more and pass out. But I get up about 3 AM, mess around on the internet, and have a beer or two to get back to sleep. Then one on the way to work the next morning, and it begins again.

Well, I've had it. I've known for a while that it needed to end, and it's going to. I go in for my assessment tomorrow morning, and begin OP treatment tomorrow night. I'm at 48 hours no beer and I think the worst of the shakes, etc. are over with, but we'll see. I don't have the urge to drink, really, and am just looking for a little companionship on this strange trip.

Thanks for reading.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR BDT

D
Old 08-17-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You came to the right place. This place has given me alot of support and companionship the last 50 days, and I hope it works for you as well!

Good luck!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks you guys. Yesterday was hell, and I spent most of it crying while my wife held me. She asked me what I was thinking, and I said "relieved". I mean it.

I'm a blunt dude, I've set my mind to this, and I'm going to do it. I wasn't sent by the court or anything (no legal troubles from it in a long time), but I'm too old to be acting like a silly fratboy. I'm sick of not being in control. I hate that.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey and welcome! Most of us are here the same way you are...because its about damn time. The nice thin is there are so many different approaches represented here but we all have the same goal:-)

And now you have a whole cheering squad behind you!
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Striving to be a better Man!

Wow! Good for you man! You are in good company here. I can remember having to have alcohol in me during any waking moment and really relate to your drinking pattern. I am really happy to see that you still have your family and see the need to make changes, You can do it!
Hope to see you posting on here.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I came to the same realization BDT. I had to set my mind to it. Coming here and discussing my problem has kept my mind on it and given me different ideas on how to stay sober for good. As you know, grabbing the 24 ouncer on the way home is a learned habit that can be broken, (it was one of my many starting point, but I was normally having 4 of them), and if you really want to quit it can be accomplished. These last 50 days I feel like the huge job of getting loaded everyday is finally off my shoulders. And remember, just quit for today, then wake up and do it over again.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
xuse

welcome im 33 and fell about the same ive been sober ten days and feel much better coming here has helped a greatdeal i have three children we have about the same story hope ypu stay around
Old 08-17-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks. I've been off work the last two days, "sick". It's true, though. There was no way I was gonna de-tox while sitting at my desk. Feeling half-way decent right now, maybe a bit "edgy".....

The kids were asking "What's wrong with Dad? Is he OK?". So around noon today, my wife and I called the older two in and explained what was going on. They were thrilled I decided to stop drinking. Smiling, happy. That should tell you everything you need to know. I know it tells me.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

If it's OK, I think I'm going to be making this a hang-out. I'm addicted (also) to a comments section on a certain political blog that's great to hang out on, so I'm real comfortable with the blog/forum context. It's very encouraging to know you're not alone in what's happening to you. Thanks Blackstat for recognizing the drinking pattern. It's embarassing to admit your pattern. This forum makes it easy, where you don't know me.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Blackstrat6..sorry
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember that relieved feeling too BDT...like a weight you were so used to you didn't realise it was there - and suddenly... it's gone.

Hang out as much as like - we're a good bunch
D
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome BDT,
We have similar stories except I always started at noon, fore go lunch and buy a 12 pack. My saying back then was there is a pork chop in every can, who needs lunch.... ended up drinking about 12 pork chops a day. LOL.
I live in a small town also so I would go to a different store every day. Didn't want the town folk to think I was an alcoholic. There was never any beer left for Sunday because I drank it all Saturday, but I knew exactly how much time it took me to be at the store @ 12:01 when they started selling it.

If your ready to quit you will find lots of support here from caring people who are either where you're at or have been there. I start every day here at SR.

Best of luck to you. Keep posting/reading.
Marcus
Old 08-17-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome to SR and I like your commitment! I got to the point too, where I knew my drinking just couldn't go on, at least without serious consequences. I finally said "If not NOW, when?" After a couple weeks when I started feeling better, I told my kids and they had the same reaction: "Mom, that's great - I'm so proud of you!" What a way to set an example for our babies, right?

I love coming here every day because it reminds me why I need to stay sober and that it's a real accomplishment. And you're right about knowing we're not alone. That made a huge difference for me.

Glad to have you sharing the journey with us!!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I live in a small town also so I would go to a different store every day. Didn't want the town folk to think I was an alcoholic. There was never any beer left for Sunday because I drank it all Saturday, but I knew exactly how much time it took me to be at the store @ 12:01 when they started selling it.

Haha. Oh my. Get out of my head! :rotfxko

Thanks for that. I admit I'm in tears here. I'm not alone.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
xuse

we can all do this but its gonna take work
Old 08-17-2010, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome BDT! Your story is the same as mine - except being older, I had worked my way up to almost a 30pack a day. If you hadn't come to your senses now, you could've ended up where I did - DUI's, broken relationships, financial problems - so much destruction.

It's great that you've seen the light and want a new life. Wonderful that you have your family's support. Many of us have alienated everyone by the time we decide to quit.
I, too, found it a huge comfort to have SR in my life to see me through the early stages. I never thought there'd be so many like me out there. I came crawling in here 3 years ago & haven't ever left. There are some amazing people here - and now you're one of them. Keep on posting!
Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

DUI's, broken relationships, financial problems

DUIs-2 charged, never convicted. Bad police work and expensive lawyer work...
Broken relationships-2
Financial problems-Oh yeah.

Maybe the difference is that, other than the financial problems, I haven't had any legal problems in 5 years and my wife will stick with me through thick and thin. She's the best. Financial problems? How can you not when you spend $500 a month on beer, which is about what I estimate.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

BDT,

Love your name! What struck me in one of your early posts was how you felt "relief" now that you've decided to get sober.

That was the really amazing thing for me--I struggled REALLY hard for four and a half years to moderate my drinking--which I could only do short-term, couldn't stop drinking every day, and the amounts kept creeping up. When I finally surrendered to the fact that moderation wasn't in the cards for me, RELIEF was the biggest emotion I felt--thank god it's over.

Glad to have you here.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....
Glad to see you are here with us.

Blessings to you and your family