Notices

so glad to have found this site

Old 08-16-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

so glad to have found this site

hi guys im glad to have finally found some kind of help, my drinking has spiralled out of control badly im at the point where 15 cans of beer isnt enough and ive become totally obsessed with planning my days around where and when i will buy my next beers from, im now 33 and suffering with bad pains in my liver and kidneys, it finally hit home yeaterday when my son said to me daddy ill miss you when youre in heaven, i visited my doctor last year and he more or less laughed at me and said "why do u drink so much" this site has helped me today where ive read peoples storys and im hoping itse going to help me put my life together
Old 08-16-2010, 01:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Dave,

I can relate to the feelings of shock when our tolerance gets so high that 15 beers is no longer enough. I remember looking at the cans in the recycling bin and feeling like a crazy person. And heck, if there were a few more than that then who knows, 20 maybe?

It sounds like you are concerned about your health. My worries about my health were my motivation to stop drinking. I also had some pains like your describe. I am thankful I had them when I did. It was my body telling me to stop.

Take those as a blessing and warning. You're only 33. You have so much more to live for, especially your son.

It's not easy to stop but it's within our control and so darn worth it. Everything in life becomes better.

I hope you keep us posted on how you're doing!
Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
CJ1

I'm 34 with 2 little girls. There is no better reason to quit than for your children. At my young age I have been on the fast track to being nothing more than a tragic story. You can do this. Just keep coming back to tell us you made it one more day.

And Welcome.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
xuse

stay here i to am 33 and drank 12 to who knows how many beers every friday and saturday or when ever i holidays when you herd that i bet it hit you hard made you think and thinking is scary trust me i got 8 days in after 13 years of hitting it hard every single weekend i have three children also what has helped me is reading alot off this forum i mean reading thinking relating and i no i still got a alot of fight left but im sober now and have been 8 days and i take it a day somtimes a minute of a time stay here i am
Old 08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thanks for the reply, ive done ok today ive read on here that people drink ginger ale so ive stocked up on it and had about 4 glasses, i just hope i can last, at the moment i feel ok and ready to beat it, hope tommorrow i feel the same
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to SoberRecovery Dave. We are also glad you found this place. You'll find a lot of people here that care and are willing to help. Try to keep your not drinking in just for today, each and everyday.

Hope to see your post on your progress.

Keep coming,

Harry
Old 08-16-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Dave,

I'd certainly change my doctor - anyone who laughs at this situation isn't really the guy you need...and I think it would be wise to check out those pains with a competent doctor asap.

You'll find a lot of support here - there's lots of face to face support available too - recovery programmes like AA or smart etc, counselling etc.

It takes a lot of work and commitment but we can, and do, get better - and you're not alone here

Welcome to SR!
D
Old 08-16-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thankyou everyone, for the 1st time in 18 years i feel positive towards kicking this and the fact i want to do it helps
Old 08-16-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
xuse

sometimes if i need i go to the chatroom and if not talk to just not feel alone see whats going on no matter what time this helps me i also have been doing alot of soul searching and reading and posting we can do this
Old 08-16-2010, 04:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We're glad to have you here!

I can relate to your drinking. I was a man obsessed. I was either drinking, procuring alcohol or recovering from the effects.
Please don't let it get that far for you. It's a living nightmare.

I've got over seven months sober now, thanks to this site.
AA works for many, too.

You have things to live for. I didn't. It's only me alone, but I'm doing this for myself.
It's a great feeling! I'm free from the bonds of alcoholism, although, I know I will always be one. One drink, and I'm doomed to 20.

Wishing you the best!
Old 08-16-2010, 05:03 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck! You now have a whole forum o people cheerin you on...how awesome is that!!!

I'm with Dee, time to get a new doctor...I go so mad when i read what he said, I wanted to hop on a plane and cross the pond to smack him.

You can do this!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

so day 2 today and im feeling ok,, got a few little pains and a back ache but i dont know if thats just my bed!!! woke up this morning and replaced beer thoughts with thinking about getting different flavour teas and soft drinks, so far had 2 cups of coffee, 2 chocolate milkshakes and 2 ginger ale and orange juice better than the 6 beers i wouldve had by now
Old 08-17-2010, 07:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I got to the point in my illness I was hiding how much I REALLY drank from others because it took so much for me to get to the same 'point' other people were when socializing.......and I convinced myself that it was okay that that was the situation....and it was okay that I hid it. I actually said to my wife recently that I hid my drinking because it just would not look right if I slammed 6 beers in front of company to equal their one glass of wine. Oh the reasoning we with this disease make !!! Obviously you do not NEED to get buzzed, and you do not NEED to drink.

You have found a GREAT website to be a part of. My advice....get active with this. It's great to read and lurk, but my support for myself skyrocketed once I became more active and talked about it. It does not replace the need for other routes of support, but it is something....and something is better than nothing.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:24 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

thanks for the great advice, ive found myself glued to this site since yesterday morning and i cant believe how much its helping me through, if i sit here and read its taking my mind off drinking completely, i now know im an alchoholic i used to drink a beer and have another hidden in the cupboard to drink in between thats how bad i became, but for my son and finding this site yesterday i know i would still be doing that today as i have my parents visiting, although i still cant bring myself to tell them that i dont want to drink anymore as i dont think they understand, theyre from the school of thought that a few pints a week is ok!!! and i dont think my partner believes that this is it for me so hopefully i can do this with this groups support
Old 08-17-2010, 07:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the SR family! Lots of support and good info here so read and post your thoughts and questions. We're here to help you stay on the sober road to make your life better than you ever thought possible. Glad you're here!
Old 08-17-2010, 07:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm never without a 12 pack Dave- Of ginger beer! Love it! Drink at least 2 cans every day

Welcome
Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by davewilson33 View Post
woke up this morning and replaced beer thoughts with thinking about getting different flavour teas and soft drinks, so far had 2 cups of coffee, 2 chocolate milkshakes and 2 ginger ale and orange juice better than the 6 beers i wouldve had by now
And that was just to wake up! lol

It is better than the beer though. Good to hear your feeling better and hanging in there. I just do it for one day, today. Don't know what's coming tomorrow so I'll wait till then and then just do it for today again.

Take care and God bless.

Harry
Old 08-17-2010, 11:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

well day 2 is nearly ended and ive had a decent day, kinda overdosed on chocolate milkshakes lol but hey thats gotta be better than beer!!
I dont know if its all part of it or just in my mind but i seem to be a bit spaced out staring into spaces and very jumpy but hey that might just be me.
Ive not had any serious symptoms yet and i hope thats the way it stays, i shall make my partner my son and myself dinner in a while and relax with a ginger ale and orange over ice!!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I'm eating bourbon biscuits and also some ginger nuts with a cup of tea!
Old 08-17-2010, 12:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

lets keep this up together we can do this, i just imagine a month from now how good i hope im feeling