Notices

I am back

Old 08-19-2010, 11:25 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi Butterfly,
I can relate to you, because my alcoholism got out of hand when my husband and I started having marital problems. When we split up and I filed for divorce, that's when things got UGLY.
I decided it was time to do something about the wine (I was drinking 1-2 bottles a day, usually one), and it was super hard, but I went for 3 weeks. I honestly haven't felt that good in a really long time.
My grandma passed, and this was a trigger that I didn't see coming and couldn't handle. I started drinking again. Started out with one or two glasses, then escalated.
I am only on Day 2 now, though I am optimistic, I'm scared.
I live alone now, which is hard because I'm able to hide how bad it was.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:35 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I would think not having someone in the house with you during times of weakness would make it doubley hard. I found (beacuse I hid most of my drinking) that my weakest time were being 'alone' for a good period of time (hours or more) where i would think i could have a few, enjoy, and nobody gets hurt and I would be sober enoough to "have had only one' by the time she got back........however my disease would sometimes take over once I got the buzz on and I would take it to the point where I could not get back and be a mess when she got home.....then i would answer that magic question with the answer......."what??? I only had one beer"......"uhhhh"....."okay, TWO beers !!!!" .................................................. ....she wasn;t buying it.....then i was f**kd.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day 7

Made it through 7 nights... it is getting eaiser but I wonder if people going through think about drinking all the time. It seems like when I know I can't drink then I think about it.

Thanks Freeport for your post. It was helpful!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Buckley View Post
Hi Butterfly,
I can relate to you, because my alcoholism got out of hand when my husband and I started having marital problems. When we split up and I filed for divorce, that's when things got UGLY.
I decided it was time to do something about the wine (I was drinking 1-2 bottles a day, usually one), and it was super hard, but I went for 3 weeks. I honestly haven't felt that good in a really long time.
My grandma passed, and this was a trigger that I didn't see coming and couldn't handle. I started drinking again. Started out with one or two glasses, then escalated.
I am only on Day 2 now, though I am optimistic, I'm scared.
I live alone now, which is hard because I'm able to hide how bad it was.
Buckley,
I am sorry about the outcome of your marriage. I hope that you will remember how good you felt when you went without. I know it is hard especially being alone. I am trying to work things out with my husband and when things are good between us then I don't really feel the need to drink too much.

Good luck and I hope you make it!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You're doing awesome, Butterfly!! You might want to consider drinking some herbal tea in the evening instead of wine to help you unwind and relax...Celestial Seasonings has a variety called "Sleepytime Extra" which has valerian, chamomile, and other relaxing herbs - and it tastes great. And I second the suggestion of joining in the chatroom in the evening...I always have a great time chatting w/folks there at night.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stephnc View Post
You're doing awesome, Butterfly!! You might want to consider drinking some herbal tea in the evening instead of wine to help you unwind and relax...Celestial Seasonings has a variety called "Sleepytime Extra" which has valerian, chamomile, and other relaxing herbs - and it tastes great. And I second the suggestion of joining in the chatroom in the evening...I always have a great time chatting w/folks there at night.
Thanks I

I went to the store today and bought this HUGE tea mug. I look for the Celestial Sleepytime Extra but couldn't find it so I bought "Yogi Bedtime" it also has Valerian root and Passion Flower Extract. So tonight I'll try a nice mug of that. I am hoping it will help me sleep because that last few nights haven't been very good. At first I was sleeping very soundly but now wake up all night long.At least I did not have nightmares last night .

I might check out the chatroom if I feel a need to talk. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I love your attitude ButterflyDreams. From your posts, it seems like you are already enjoying sobriety.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I love the Yogi teas (the peach detox is wonderful as are the calming ones). Treat yourself to some new and delectable goodies. You deserve it!

It's been about a week sober now, right? Keep taking things as they come and don't overwhelm yourself. Great to hear you're doing so well.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post
I love the Yogi teas (the peach detox is wonderful as are the calming ones). Treat yourself to some new and delectable goodies. You deserve it!

It's been about a week sober now, right? Keep taking things as they come and don't overwhelm yourself. Great to hear you're doing so well.
I am on day 8...and I'm going to make it. Actually had a great day. Lot's of physical activity. A great game of golf and then to a baseball game. NO BEER. This was the 1st baseball game where I didn't have a beer. It helped that the 3 others I was with were not drinking also. I must say I actually enjoyed the game a lot and wasn't sure how I would like it without a beer. Maybe there is life without a buzz after all
Old 08-20-2010, 07:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratualtions BD

D
Old 08-21-2010, 10:30 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Questions

Hello

I made it to another day

I just have a couple of question and I thought maybe someone on here could help me out.

Since I have stopped drinking my energy level has really dropped. I am training for a half marathon in Oct and I'm having a hard time getting my miles in. I was wondering if all the sugar in the wine was fueling my body. I am usually able to eat a clean diet and recently have cut my carbs way down so maybe I need to re-introduce them into my diet. Anybody go through this? (I know I need carbs to train...but wine was supplying a log of them)

Also, I am having a hard time sleeping. At first I slept good but now it's not very restful and I lay awake a lot. I'm also having bad dreams. Is this common?

I'm feeling very good about not drinking. Each day it is getting eaiser.

This forum has helped me. It's nice to put things in writing and also to talk to people who understand what it's like to go through this. Thanks to all who have commented.

Butterfly Dreams
Old 08-21-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi
I know it is important to get extra protein. My nutritionist tells me to eat protein with every meal and snack.. I also take thiamin, folci acid, vit d and c and magnesium. I hope this helps.
SH
Old 08-21-2010, 04:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am in the same predicament as you. Going through a bad marriage drinking 1-2bottles a night. Not everynight. I feel better when I don't drink around him he likes to push my buttons when he drinks and when I don't drink it is hard for him to find something to bitch at. Although the catch is I am miserable in this marriage so I like to escape with wine. Learning to deal with saddness without drinking will be new. I went 52days sober and just came back here to this forum aug 20 being my new sober date.I am typing on my cell so typing not great
Old 08-21-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes. Hard time sleeping is a symptom of stopping what helped me was melatonin 5mg. The best is the kind that dissolves under your tongue because it is faster. You can get it at a vitamin shop or even grocery store
Old 08-21-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Butterfly - The insomnia and energy loss are common, and thank goodness they don't last forever. For me the insomnia got better before the energy issue and even after 3 months, I still have my "days"....... But I will say that around two months into it I started having REAL energy (more than I'd had in years).

So, hang in there and just tell yourself it's like recovering from a long illness. I was just thinking about how long it takes people to recover from surgery, broken bones, etc., and since we've messed so much with the chemicals in our central nervous system/brain, it's really pretty amazing our bodies recover as well as they do.

All the best to you - be kind and patient with yourself. You're doing great!
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Keep going! Congrats
Old 08-23-2010, 06:29 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by artsoul View Post

Artsoul,

I bought some of the peach detox and you are right it is wonderful! Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hey ButterflyDreams

I'm happy to read that you are doing so well with your new lifestyle. I used to be a runner, but a slow runner,lol, so I was curious about your carbs in wine question.

Originally Posted by ButterflyDreams View Post
I was wondering if all the sugar in the wine was fueling my body.
I googled it and here is what I found.

Wine......Carbs in 4 oz

Dry Red Wine 0.5 grams
Dry White Wine 0.8 grams
Medium white wine 3.9 grams
Sparkling white wine 1.6 grams
Sweet white wine 6.8 grams

Here is the source. I'm not sure what the rules for links are here.

Wine Carbohydrates amount of Carbohydrates in wine

I think the reason that the carbs are so low in most wines is that the sugar in the grape juice has all fermented into alcohol.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-23-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

A little help needed

Hello!

I am headed out of town this week. The place I am going is associated with having fun and drinking (lot's) of wine. Of course now I am not drinking so I am afraid of being around other people who might be drinking wine and I will not be able to .

How do I sit there while they are drinking and have my cup of tea? Will I be able to endure this?

I am on day 11 but I still have an urge to have a glass wine everyday. It's not as bad as it was but still have to struggle with it.

I have some new books that I can read and one is on mediation which I plan to start doing.

If anybody has and advice I would love to hear it....

Thanks!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:49 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think it's smart to avoid those kinds of situations in early recovery.

I don't know where you are going, or why, but if it's something you absolutely can't get out of, I would suggest you arrive late and leave early for any drinking events, make sure you have transportation of your own so you can leave if you need to, take phone numbers of sober friends who can support you, find a local AA meeting to attend.