Notices

addictive voice

Old 08-13-2010, 06:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

addictive voice

Anyone recognize what their "addictive voice" is and what it's favorite things to say that get you to either crave or relapse.

Just curious as my therapist & I are going over this.

Thanks.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The addictive voice is pretty much the one that suggests that whatever is bothering me would be solved by booze. It usually speaks when I am out driving in my car and it would be so easy to just stop at the wine store.

It doesn't take much to recognize it and tell it to shut up:-)
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

My voice pretends it's my friend: "You deserve a break," "Wouldn't it be fun to veg out for a while?" "You can handle it this time...." stuff like that.

The worst cravings I had were when the voice got through to my (faulty) imagination and suggested the perfect image of drinking: sitting on the porch with a glass of wine, trying to capture that feeling of being in some blissful tropical paradise that doesn't exist in reality.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

That's easy....my addictive voice likes to tell me "I'm cured"> which is a total lie. That's a relapse sign for sure, or has been in the past. Although I will never be cured from the disease of alcoholism, I am no longer a slave to it (alcohol)--either mentally or physically. I have recovered from a hopeless state of mind and body.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

my addictive voice told me
- I am not addicted, I just love to party
- it's too hard
- I couldn't do it
- I wasn't worth it
- just one bag and then I'll stop
- I don't need to quit...I'm not addicted
- I can't deal with this.....
- this is too hard...its ok to give in
- there's nothing wrong with feeling good
- you stayed sober for a week...good for you...reward yourself!
- this is just too painful..I need to get numb
- I will quit later when things are easier and there isn't so much stress in my life( my personal favorite!)
- I don't have to really quit, maybe cut down a little
- I can just do one, it will be okay
- If I quit, all the fun will be gone from my life
- just for old time sake
- I've got it under control, don't even have cravings anymore...its ok to have "one"
- I don't want to insult this guy by not drinking with him
- Its a special occasion...one won't hurt...
- Slips are okay...a little slipping won't hurt

and on and on

For me the longer I held out the more faint the voice became....the longer we resist, the easier it gets
Old 08-13-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Usually something along the lines of... 'was it really that bad?'.....and I just have to say yes, it was rotten to the core. It gets pretty loud when I let myself get into a situation w-out much to do or read or whatever...an idle mind is the devils workshop.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
HFA

mine whispers softly, constantly, seductively. She is like a old lover that knows how to touch you, knows what I need to hear. She caress me with breathy sweet nothings in my ear. She shows me how its going to be ok, she shows me the way, then she pushes me down the stairs.

Day 47
Old 08-13-2010, 09:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

The addictive voice says:

"Who cares about being sober?!?!?! We were actually having fun before. Look at all these stupid people, just walking around like zombies. You're not one of them. They don't know what fun is. You and me do, though. A bottle of gin . . . come on! Let's party."

"Why don't you get drunk and sit in the yard like you used to? The night air will feel so good on your skin, and the moon'll shine bright just for you. I bet [next door neighbor] will sit out there with you. The two of you can cackle and yell until dawn."

"Wouldn't it feel great to get drunk today? All these months of sobriety, and you haven't had a seconds's fun. Remember all those times you didn't care how sick and drunk you were? Remember feeling like you owned the world? I can show you that again."

It's like someone else said. The monster's voice is like a caress. It promises everything I thought I loved, but I know it can only deliver misery.

Six more minutes, and I'll have another day sober.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I feel like there's a few voices in there banging around, arguing with each other about why I should have "just 1 or 2". "I’m still young and I should enjoy myself, I don’t need to worry about it, it isn’t that big of a deal. Everyone drinks. I’m in too much pain right now to quit," etc. I wonder what the science is behind that – different voices you "hear" in your head. Anyway, it’s very insidious. I feel like I can’t trust my own head sometimes – the logical voice gets drowned out or commandeered by this lunatic booze hound.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
xuse

Mine says you deserve it you take care of all your responsibilities it wont hurt you just drink on the weekends maybe a couple times a week you just like to drink your ok you dont have a problem
Old 08-14-2010, 12:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah I had a strong addictive voice....my alcoholic mind.....telling me I can drink socially....I can handle a few and I am ok.

Beat the stars out of that voice and if it rears its ugly head...even just a wee bit....I am on here posting or sharing in counseling.

I have learned to recognize potential scenarios that may give rise to that voice so being proactive is a strong piece of my recovery.

Now I seem to have a little sober voice saying....man look at all you have and will accomplish because you aren't the slave to the bottle anymore.

Daily work and progress and it gets better. Keep it going~
Old 08-14-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

It wasn't that bad
This isn't how life should feel
You don't need to make amends to them
You shouldn't have to do 12steps to recover
Learning about alcoholism and recovery will be enough
You're doing really well in recovery, set it on coast for a bit and enjoy the fruits of your labor
See, plenty of others are doing well by doing less work
You're in control of your sobriety
Old 08-14-2010, 04:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Stay away from drink A, go with drink B and you'll be fine.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Something else I thought of with the morning:

"Nothing you've accomplished in sobriety is worth a crap. You're still a loser. Why not get drunk?"

I'll give the addictive voice props for one thing: It never says I can drink in moderation. We both know I'll be gone if I touch the first sip.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My addictive voice always says "you deserve a break, this day was really tough and you just deserve to numb out for a while." Its no big deal to have a few drinks...If I could only have a couple of drinks when I hear that voice it would be true! However when I get to the 3 drink point I am a gonner! So the voice lies to me..
Old 08-14-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That voice says..You could sure use a drink after what you just went through!! one won't hurt...you can handle it now.......
Old 08-14-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

The AV will say:
You can control it.
It will be different this time.
These emotions are too strong, have a drink it will be better.
Thank goodness I have the recovery tools that put me in charge of how much I allow my AV to influence my behavior.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mine's favorite one seems to be "just this one time and you can start over".

Therapist's opinion only...but my most life threatening one.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I have 12 years sober but had another addiction take me down recently so I can tell you exactly what was going on in my head...
"You deserve this...what you have isn't enough...you can handle it...
you are strong enough not to really get caught up in this...just a little fun...no one will get hurt..."
I was reminded that those are ALL lies and my disease is alive and ready to kick my butt when I am not vigilant about my program.
Old 08-14-2010, 10:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

well mine keeps telling, come on, you deserve it, it is ot that bad.
Now on day 2 after the slip or relapse it keeps saying see, you just had a headache, nothing else lets go back and buy some wine, you will be fine.
You are not an alcoholic, you stopped after 1 bottle...