Notices

Dang Girl!!!!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Dang Girl!!!!

Damn girl! You look GOOD!!! <----That's what I said about myself when I looked in the mirror today. Day 9 here and I see my skin looking great, my eyes are clear & white, that little extra chin is gone and my face looks thinner. Healthier. Younger.

Just thought I would share that for others who might need a little extra encouragement to stay sober. It's sure enough of a bonus for me!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great isn't it?? Wait, who is this in the mirror? Where is the poofy eyed/sagging skin/pist off looking person? I'm a little over 30 days and still notice that I feel and look better every week. Especially as you are saying, around the 9-10th day.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Unhappy

yeah hopefully gone are those mornings waking up thinking 'if I can only call out of work today' but knowing that you have done that way too many times before....then mustering up enough strength to make it to the bathroom to barf up the little bit of water you just choked down, staring at your bloodshot eyes in the mirror saying to yourself "what the hell" and "never again" only to find yourself doing it all over again the next day....or within the next week.....
Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Leap of Faith Survivor

Chakra, yay you!
Old 08-12-2010, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good 4 you !!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TorontoGuy28 View Post
Good 4 you !!
Thank you sir!

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
Great isn't it?? Wait, who is this in the mirror? Where is the poofy eyed/sagging skin/pist off looking person? I'm a little over 30 days and still notice that I feel and look better every week. Especially as you are saying, around the 9-10th day.
It IS great AND I can't wait too see even more improvements. Congrats on the 30+ days! One day, I'll be just like you.

Originally Posted by Jabbadabutt View Post
yeah hopefully gone are those mornings waking up thinking 'if I can only call out of work today' but knowing that you have done that way too many times before....then mustering up enough strength to make it to the bathroom to barf up the little bit of water you just choked down, staring at your bloodshot eyes in the mirror saying to yourself "what the hell" and "never again" only to find yourself doing it all over again the next day....or within the next week.....
I WAS calling out of work, hating myself, barfing, looking like shite and knowing I would have alcohol on my breath no matter how many times I brushed my teeth/tongue. You're right. It didn't stop me until someone enlightened me on how to get rid of the guilt so I could stop the cycle. It has been the most valuable tool I've had for my sobriety yet. SR helps me maintain it.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grateful2b View Post
Chakra, yay you!
Thank you grateful
Old 08-12-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Chakra View Post
Damn girl! You look GOOD!!! <----That's what I said about myself when I looked in the mirror today. Day 9 here and I see my skin looking great, my eyes are clear & white, that little extra chin is gone and my face looks thinner. Healthier. Younger.

Just thought I would share that for others who might need a little extra encouragement to stay sober. It's sure enough of a bonus for me!!!
Amazing what our bodies can do when we stop poisoning ourselves, isn't it? Congratulations!!!

Day 25
Old 08-12-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by patman View Post
Amazing what our bodies can do when we stop poisoning ourselves, isn't it? Congratulations!!!

Day 25
It IS amazing AND until you see the difference in yourself, you don't realize how poisonous it REALLY is. Wow...23 years of drinking/poisoning.

CONGRATULATIONS on 25 DAYS!! :ghug3
Old 08-12-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aren't our bodies amazing...we can beat the crap out of them, fill them with poison and they can still heal.

I pass for 10 years younger than I am, easy, and I wonder how much better I would look if I hadn't drank and smoked for 15 years!
Old 08-12-2010, 01:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

WTG Chakra! Inspiring for sure.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

the puffiness in my face was terrible, now I can see my cheekbones. Alcohol was so dehydrating my lips were always cracked no matter what I used.

it's true, you will look better each day. I actually took a picture at weekly intervals for a while.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Go on girlfriend!

After about 30 days I felt like one of the contestants on "The Swan" when they take off the blindfold. lol (anyone remember that show?)
Old 08-12-2010, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
capra laeviculus

That rocks Chakra!

I think it'll take a lot more than a couple of weeks before I can look in the mirror and be happy, but perhaps I will be surprised!

-Goat
Old 08-12-2010, 03:50 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
the puffiness in my face was terrible, now I can see my cheekbones. Alcohol was so dehydrating my lips were always cracked no matter what I used.

it's true, you will look better each day. I actually took a picture at weekly intervals for a while.
Thats a great idea! Having never been sober as an adult, I had no idea how I'm "supposed" to look!

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Go on girlfriend!

After about 30 days I felt like one of the contestants on "The Swan" when they take off the blindfold. lol (anyone remember that show?)
Hilarious!! Its so true. I took an Epsom salt bath and was sitting on my bed afterward with natural hair and face. Caught a glance of myself in the mirror and had to do a double take because I almost didn't recognize myself. Wonder if I will magically wake up with a tummy tuck or if I have to ask to get The Swan revived. haha

Originally Posted by Goat View Post
That rocks Chakra!

I think it'll take a lot more than a couple of weeks before I can look in the mirror and be happy, but perhaps I will be surprised!

-Goat
You never know Goat. Just please keep showering. j/k During the time you were sober before, did you ever notice any changes?
Old 08-12-2010, 03:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Aren't our bodies amazing...we can beat the crap out of them, fill them with poison and they can still heal.

I pass for 10 years younger than I am, easy, and I wonder how much better I would look if I hadn't drank and smoked for 15 years!
Our bodies are a wonderland. :P I look younger too and I don't know how with the drinking, smoking and tanning like I am Magda in Something about Mary. Most people almost fall out of their chairs when they find out I have an 18 year old!

Originally Posted by inbloom View Post
WTG Chakra! Inspiring for sure.
Thank you...I took a quick bow.

I posted this initially not really to gloat but because I was curious about the physical benefits of new sobriety early on. LaFemme bumped a thread for me so I could read about a previous conversation and I was excited to share that its coming true. I think a lot of people will enjoy positive changes in their appearance as a bonus to sobriety if they know to expect them.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great job Chakra? I'm on day 13, and I too feel better, and look much much better! I've lost a few pounds, my face is thinner, and I really feel younger! Yay us!!
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

the wine i was consuming was loaded with sugar and empty calories....my fasting blood glucose kept hovering higher and higher....that's pre-diabetes land....i even got that spotty "stain" on my neck....i was always so tired and carb food made it worse...i gained an extra 35 lbs. in 2 years....on top of menopause symptoms that jumped off the charts, HTN.

now that i no longer drink an extra 1500 to 2000 calories, i am off of 3 different meds and the hot flashes are gone or minimal, my BP is normal and my fasting glucose is greatly improved.....I need to get back to exercise, but (there have been extenuating circumstances, my mother is ill), however it is part of my *master plan*.

I'm down about 10-13 lbs. without trying since Feb. but i need to tone it up....which will also help my glucose levels and HTN too.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
Great job Chakra? I'm on day 13, and I too feel better, and look much much better! I've lost a few pounds, my face is thinner, and I really feel younger! Yay us!!
Yep, Yay us!! Gettin hotter by the second!!

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
the wine i was consuming was loaded with sugar and empty calories....my fasting blood glucose kept hovering higher and higher....that's pre-diabetes land....i even got that spotty "stain" on my neck....i was always so tired and carb food made it worse...i gained an extra 35 lbs. in 2 years....on top of menopause symptoms that jumped off the charts, HTN.

now that i no longer drink an extra 1500 to 2000 calories, i am off of 3 different meds and the hot flashes are gone or minimal, my BP is normal and my fasting glucose is greatly improved.....I need to get back to exercise, but (there have been extenuating circumstances, my mother is ill), however it is part of my *master plan*.

I'm down about 10-13 lbs. without trying since Feb. but i need to tone it up....which will also help my glucose levels and HTN too.
Great job on the weight loss!! Those calories def make a difference.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That's wonderful that you can see your hotness emerging! Very encouraging. I'm not seeing much difference in the mirror but I feel sooooo much better. Yay!