Notices

Dreaming that I'm drinking

Old 08-12-2010, 10:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dreaming that I'm drinking

Hey, I keep having these really vivid dreams that I'm drinking or buying alcohol. They're so real, in one I'm in the Liquor Store trying to decide what to buy, talking it over with my friend. In another I'm drinking away when I realize I'm drinking and I start to wonder how this beer has ended up in my hand. Weird.... Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Mat

I have these... I always think "OMG, I have ruined it and I am drinking again." I feel all of that guilt and shame over having been defeated yet again.

Then I wake up feeling great that it was all just a dream. I think it actually might be somewhat therapeutic to semi-experience just how crummy I will feel about myself if I drink again.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have a little over a month sober and i was quite a pothead etc etc. I had a dream that i passed up a bunch of pills but took a hit off a joint....i was devasted in the dream i had failed myself and my family. I woke up so relieved and had a great day. I think it is gods way of telling you your on the right track. Just my take on it

Dave
Old 08-12-2010, 10:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Funny you post this today. I have heard these are really, really common. I have never had one. . .until last night. It was awful for me. Nothing theraputic about it.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Drinking dreams are very common in early recovery and some people have them even years after.

I had one where I was drinking G&T's, I woke up horrified until I realized it was just a dream. When I drank I constantly had dreams where I drank and smoked in front of my parents (never have I smoked in front of my parents)...weird.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sobriety saved my life.

Same here they seem so real and in the dreams I always think that I wasted all the hard work I put in to stay sober. Then I wake up sober and feeling good. It's weird that in the dreams I realize that i'm messing things up. It's a trip.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I had a dream last night I found a really nice watch on the street and decided to keep it. Today I forgot to put my watch on and realized it once I got to work. Hmmmmmmm.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ha. It's the norm for me, not the exception. I'm at 37 days and at least 3 days a week I do that. It's sooooooo realistic, just impossibly vivid. It's not romancing it either, it's just I'll dream I'm doing this or that, but drinking beer. I wake up everytime goin dammit!!!!! Sometimes it takes like 2-3 minutes for it to clear.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well it's good to know that I'm not unique in dreaming that I'm back to my old ways. I actually find that I'm sleeping really deep and all my dreams are super vivid. I woke myself up this morning dreaming that I was turning something off and had actually moved my arm out.

In fact I'm feeling better and better each day and doing things I wouldn't normally do since I'd be drinking. I feel better today than I felt on my best day drinking.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Quite common. My therapist calls them "drunk dreams" and he says it is our subconscious craving whatever substance we are not doing. They do seem VERY real don't they????
Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Totally normal. It is your body healing. I have woken up very upset at my wife because in my dream she was telling me to drink. I woke up and swore that I had drank the night before.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey ZC

like others have said - very common - and they're very vivid aren't they?
Mine decreased over time - can't remember when I had my last one

D
Old 08-12-2010, 03:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, they are common as dirt.

Don't worry about them too much. You've had the "naked in public" dreams, haven't you? Does that mean you really want to get naked in public? Or the dreams when you are back in school, and forgot to study, or even go to the class, and it's the final exam and you did nothing.

We all dream about things we fear. It doesn't mean anything except that not drinking has become a big deal in your life. And that's a GOOD thing.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Cool

I've been in recovery for two years I still have them, just had one a couple of nights ago, but their differant than when I was early in recovery, now I am always so mad in the dreams fighting with everyone and they always seem to take place at my meetings, my sponsor says it's normal and not to over think them. But they still frighten me alittle sometimes.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Yep, I'm 15 months sober and still dream about alcohol and drugs a lot.

...but, most of the time, even in my dream, it's either a bad experience or I know what I'm doing is wrong.

I usually wake up relieved.

Kjell~
Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I have these... I always think "OMG, I have ruined it and I am drinking again." I feel all of that guilt and shame over having been defeated yet again.
exactly.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Yep, I've had these...in my last one, I was trying to convince the hubby to share a Foster's beer can...weird how specific it was, lol.

Prior to me quitting, I used to have dreams where I observed other family members intoxicated and I felt sorry for them in my dream...projection much???
Old 03-29-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

I had a dream I was eating a giant rice crispy treat. I woke up and my pillow was gone.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
...is learning and growing...

Originally Posted by Mcribb View Post
I had a dream I was eating a giant rice crispy treat. I woke up and my pillow was gone.
phew...thank goodness...I thought you were going to say your mattress, lol
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

Originally Posted by Mida View Post
phew...thank goodness...I thought you were going to say your mattress, lol
I couldn't spell mattress correctly. So I went with that instead