Notices

Isn't sobriety WEIRD

Old 08-12-2010, 07:23 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I like carbonated water. I drink a good bit of iced-tea, but I only drink the kind I make at home. I think the iced-tea they have at restaurants tastes like boiled, unwashed feet. I am also a big coffee fan. If we eat out at one of those all-day breakfast places, I drink waay too much coffee. I also like to use my espresso machine just to make steamed milk. This is a very good bedtime treat.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My favorite drink now is to fill a glass with ice, fill 3/4 with diet tonic water, and fill the rest of the way with a splash of cranberry juice. Low calorie, no caffeine, and has a bite to it that I like.

As to question, 'isn't sobriety weird?' It sure felt weird at first. I knew what it was like to be sober during the day, but I always had a hangover, so for me it was a double shock: days not hungover and sober at night.

The days were a new, wonderful treat, but the nights left me pretty befuddled: What the h*ll do I do?

What helped me was setting a goal for the evening, like cleaning up my office which I had neglected for months. I also practiced watching TV sober. Yep, practiced watching Larry King, sitting myself down and saying "you are going to watch this!'

I swear though, that fizzy tonic drink to sip reminded me of wearing the patch when I tried to quit smoking. Just having something, anything to sip on cut the cravings by at least half.

Keep us posted!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:56 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

This might sound weird, but when I was dieting and craved something sugary, a spoonful of honey did the trick. Better that than eating a pint of ice cream.
I suppose adding honey to tea would work, too.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:02 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I use only honey to sweeten my tea. I buy local honey. It's supposed to help with allergies, of which I have many.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Regarding sugar, I have read that consuming a lot can trigger a phyisical craving for alcohol so be careful:-)
Old 08-12-2010, 10:17 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Ferdygal......

Well done on your new sobriety
Welcome to our recovery community

Not sure what is available in England
I drink Ice Tea with no sugar and a wedge of fresh Lemon
all year long.....
Old 08-12-2010, 10:42 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I drink lots of Crystal Lite, Flavored Sparkling waters, Caf-free D-Coke, D-Rootbeer, Iced tea, water w/lemon/lime w/Splenda added, Protein/fruit Smoothies, De-caf coffee, and Earl Grey tea. Oh, and plain H20 Up.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Lemonade tea.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:00 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

I found tons of things to n/a drinks that I have. Juices, water, gatorade, tea, coffee, hot cocoa, mineral water, veggie juice. I do like sprite and ginger ale but I stopped drinking pretty much all soda when I got sober.

Part of my anxiety/panic attacks were driven not only by alcohol but by the massive amounts of sugar/caffeine in the ridiculous amounts of soda I drank.

You will find plenty and it will become quite comfortable after some time.

I would suggest limiting your time in environments that may be triggers. That helped me in the beginning until I a bit of foundation going in recovery.

Way to go
Old 08-13-2010, 05:26 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I was once told by an native american healer, that people who drink too much and people who smoke are craving sugar? don't know if I believe that or not. I don't have a sweet tooth either, but give me a fresh loaf of warm bread with butter and I am in bliss.. carbs turn to sugar though when digested...I think that is what I read. I have been drinking the powder drink mixes mentioned her, rasberry Ice tea is my fav. I read a book by Melissa Gilbert, who also suffered from a drinking problem. She said she drank White Cranberry Peach Juice, in place of her white wine addiction for a while. Too sweet for me though.