Notices

Day One

Old 08-11-2010, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day One

Today I realized that if I didn't stop drinking I would lose my husband.
Today I woke up with a skinned knee and bent glasses and I don't remember falling.
Today I reached out to a friend from my pit bull forum who I know is a recovering alcoholic. She gave me a lot of great advice.
I wanted to join this site so that when I get panicky (we're drowning in debt and need a new apartment) I have someone to talk to rather than trying to drink away my fears.
I can't believe I let things get so bad.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Soshi! The important thing is that you are here:-)
Old 08-11-2010, 12:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I recommend the following thread for newcomers...I found it a big help my first 2 weeks:-)

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post2676941
Old 08-11-2010, 01:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Noone plans to get here hon, but I think you will find a lot of support here. You can beat this!!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome!!

Keep coming back...it will get better.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shoshi View Post
Today I realized that if I didn't stop drinking I would lose my husband.
Today I woke up with a skinned knee and bent glasses and I don't remember falling.
Today I reached out to a friend from my pit bull forum who I know is a recovering alcoholic. She gave me a lot of great advice.
I wanted to join this site so that when I get panicky (we're drowning in debt and need a new apartment) I have someone to talk to rather than trying to drink away my fears.
I can't believe I let things get so bad.
Hi Shoshi,

I'm glad you are here. I had very similar realizations during my last last drinking episode. My partner told me that he didn't know if he could stay with me. I had told him so many times that I would cut back or stop drinking, only to escalate my crazy behavior the next time.

That's when I knew that I was done. Aside from wanting to keep him in my life, being told honestly that my words didn't mean anything anymore hurt the most. I finally had to put action behind my words. And finally proving to myself that I could put actions behind my intentions felt so great. It has made every aspect of my life better and I know you can do it to.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Soshi

I woke up like that too many times to remember - battered, bruised, sometimes not even in my own home....it's something I don't miss at all.

You'll find a lot od support and encouragement here to help you start your new life
Welcome!
D
Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am unemployed and pretty much broke.....but Iam sober for over a month.................Things could be much worse... I could be drunk................Drinkin never cured anything just postponed the enevitable.......at least that was what it did for me.................The stuff ya had to deal with was still there when ya stopped plus a little extra depending on what ya did while ya were drinkin...................Stayin sober is the way man.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and best wishes to you. This forum is great, read and post...it's a huge help.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome Shoshi,
I am glad you found SR. I am quite new to this also but I find the support and encouragement here amazing.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Welcome! It gets a lot better. Whats the plan?
Old 08-11-2010, 06:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Early sobriety is difficult for most of us.....but
it definately is better than drinking away your life.

Thanks for joining our recovery community...
Old 08-11-2010, 08:09 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Soshi! You're not the only one who "let things get so bad." It usually takes being beaten down pretty good for us to want to change. I'm glad you've joined and I know your life will be SO much better without alcohol, even though it may not be clear to you right now.

This is a great place to come for support, so keep reading and posting. It WILL get better!!!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Glad you have joined Soshi. I know I can relate to drunken injuries. That was one of the major reasons why I had to stop. Not only for my internal health, but I didn’t want someone to find me dead at the bottom of the stairs, which many times wasn’t too far off from happening. My husband also had enough me and my personal parties, so I was in risk of losing my marriage. I know the pain you feel right now, because I felt the same way not too long ago. Hang in there!
Old 08-12-2010, 07:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElegantlyWasted View Post
Welcome! It gets a lot better. Whats the plan?
Good question. I don't really have a plan. A friend suggested walkng the dogs, prayer,meditation, and drinking lots of tea, so that's where I'll start. I don't drink every day, so. last night wasn't too hard. I woke up panicky and had to keep telling myself to calm down. It worked, but I hate that feeling. I'm not anxious when I'm drunk.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Shoshi! Welcome to SR! Glad you are here! I'm sure alot of us including me can very much relate to the falling down,hurting ourselves,and the panic feelings caused from our drinking...I'm almost 7 months sober and can honestly tell you...It does get better...way better!! I wasnt any every day drinker either, but when I drank I was somebody different..my drinking career ended with me getting arrested for DUI....I'm still facing all the legal stuff...it's hard...but I'm doing it sober....I'm not saying all the crap magically disappears, but you are better able to handle it with a clear, sober mind...
I wish you all the best on your journey...I haven't tried any meetings or anything, you may want to or maybe not, it's up to you..I find reading lots of recovery books, being out in nature with the dogs, and getting rest is helpful...
Looking forward to hearing more from you. xo
Old 08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
Hi Shoshi,

I'm glad you are here. I had very similar realizations during my last last drinking episode. My partner told me that he didn't know if he could stay with me. I had told him so many times that I would cut back or stop drinking, only to escalate my crazy behavior the next time.

That's when I knew that I was done. Aside from wanting to keep him in my life, being told honestly that my words didn't mean anything anymore hurt the most. I finally had to put action behind my words. And finally proving to myself that I could put actions behind my intentions felt so great. It has made every aspect of my life better and I know you can do it to.
I currently am in the same boat. The hardest part is loosing the trust of a loved one. My wife is currently on the edge. Our relationship certainly is more important than drinking. I too had "personal parties" that ended up with me wearing the lampshade, only to feel stupid.

This is the second time I am trying to regain the trust again. It is sooo hard when you say 'never again' only to 'do it again'. I think if the shoe was on the other foot, so many of us weak people out there would not stick around like our loved ones do.

We can do it together.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Losing someone's trust is awful. I've also been told my apologies don't mean anything - and he's right.

I'm sorry about your legal issues Loveon2legs. I guess one of the advantages of being really broke is that we can't afford to fix the car - so it hasn't been driven in 2 years. I have taken some nasty bicycle spills when drinking, though.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

All we can do at this point is to get well for ourselves....and the rest will fall into place.