Notices

Antabuse

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse

Just wondering if anyone has experience with antabuse? It was mentioned at D&A counseling I attend. I have an appointment with my dr tommorow to discuss depression medication and thought I might try this as well.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know there are people here who have used it, and they can weigh in on it from experience. I would not ever bother to get a prescrpition, because I know myself. I just wouldn't take it if I wanted to drink.

Also, if you are going to go on an anti-drpessent, make sure you discuss any possible reactions of combining the medications with your doctor.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

If you're thinking about that, also ask about Naltrexone. Its better; one shot lasts a month, yet is a little pricy (1000 when I was considering it about a year ago). If you've got the cash or Ins it is definitly the best option for most. Should be part of a larger program. I would ask your Doc. Let is know. I'm curious if anything has changed im a year re: this med.

Last edited by ElegantlyWasted; 08-10-2010 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Iphone "smarttype"
Old 08-10-2010, 10:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think Antabuse is of limited value in helping you stop drinking and stay stopped. That's based on the many stories I've heard from others who have tried it.

I don't know as many who have used Naltrexone, but from what I understand, it CAN be helpful by reducing the cravings--especially if you are, as EW said, using it in connection with an actual program of recovery.

I don't think any drug is a long-term solution, but it might help with a jump-start.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i drank with antabuse and i have a sponsee that did the same a few weeks back.
i tried anything and everything thinking it was the easier softer way to deal with my alcoholism.
i live by a programme today and i can tell you from experience that that is THE easier softer way for this alki.
have you thought about looking into a programme?
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
jsm

Antabuse works by making you physically sick when you drink. People who get sick on it get REALLY sick (it does not work for everyone). Some who take it cant even use perfume because the alcohol fumes make them sick. Naltrexone works by blocking the receptors in your brain and lowering cravings. Campral is another option to talk to your Dr about. Also, there is no reason that you could not use all 3, since they work totally differently.

Naltrexone has been used in alcohol addiction for years, but was only recently FDA approved for alcoholism. Drs were using it off label at least 20 years ago. In the 90's I met an OLD, old nurse who was giving it to addiction patients in the VA. These were the guys who "lived" there in the inpatient facility usually due to court order (they were innocent for reasons of insanity) and some of them after many years could get weekend passes to go visit family. She would give them this shot to keep them from drinking on their leave. I thought she was crazy. Now it turns out in hindsight she was really smart!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

its worked for a lot of people whilst they made changes in their lives to do without it...as has been mentioned it isonly useful to give time to get into a program of recovery of your choice...i was on it for 5 months and didnt drink, the problem came when i came off of it and i hadn't changed anything inside of me so obviously drank again...
Old 08-10-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am going to outpatient rehab 3 days a week and attending meetings on a regular basis but thought I'd try anything that would help me keep my sobriety. I'll talk to the doctor tommorrow and see what he suggest. Thanks for the responses.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've not tried any of these medications.

You're doing the right thing in speaking with your Dr - he or she will be able to suggest the right medication/treatment for you.

D
Old 08-11-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The Antabuse and Naltrexone are not covered by my insurance. The doctor said the Antabuse can cause a very severe reaction if you drink (possible hospitalization) so it is not commonly used any longer. He suggested speaking with my D&A counselors about finding a way to get Camaral covered thru my insurance, maybe by seeing a psychologist thru them will get it approved.
He did give me a week's worth of Cymbalta (depression medication), I'm to see him again in a week to see how that is working.
He suggested AA meetings which I am attending on a daily basis. I think my next step will be to seek out a sponsor. My issue is I try to attend 12:00 meetings because I’m unemployed and my daughter is at camp during the day. There are not as many people at these meetings as there are at the 6:00, someone has to watch my daughter if I go to 6:00. I'll keep trying for the 6:00 meetings as there are more women there who have volunteered to sponsor someone.
Thanks for your input...still hanging in there on day 14!!
Old 08-11-2010, 03:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Antabuse can also cause very severe reactions if you ever need to be sedated. Think of a root canal. The dentist may tell you to stay 2 weeks off of antabuse and then you can get a root canal. That would be a long 2 weeks.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I've never really understood the rationale of Antabuse. I mean, if I want to drink, I'll just stop taking it. The key is to NOT want to drink in the first place.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I think its supposed to be more like, you take the antabuse, and then if you drink, you may get really sick. So, the next time that you want to drink, you will remember just how sick you got the last time, and it's supposed to stop you. You need to learn to put the two together...like how Pavlov got the dog to salivate whenever it heard a bell.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by suki44883 View Post
I've never really understood the rationale of Antabuse. I mean, if I want to drink, I'll just stop taking it. The key is to NOT want to drink in the first place.
You have to be off it for 2 weeks before you can drink though, so it could be really helpful for those who have problems with slips.

Dreanick, let us know what your dr says/how it works out. I'm thinking about trying it myself.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank on Antabuse. Really red face, splotchy skin and violent vomiting.

Antabuse is pretty old school. Talk to your doctor, there are newer and better drugs available.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Texasblind View Post
I drank on Antabuse. Really red face, splotchy skin and violent vomiting.

Antabuse is pretty old school. Talk to your doctor, there are newer and better drugs available.
It sure is old school, I've heard it was popular in the military back in the '50s...the guys that would go off and get bombed on leave were forced to take it.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Antabuse just makes you feel very sick when you drink alcohol. It stops normal metabolization of alcohol in your system. As a result, toxins accumulate in the body, and the more you drink, the worse you feel. Then you stop drinking because you can't take in any more. The whole amount of consumed alcohol is remarkably less when you are on Antabuse as compared to "pure" drinking. Drinking just becomes disgusting for you much earlier.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:10 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I used it for 5 months and i didnt drink...the BIG mistake i made was believing that not drinking had solved my problem...it hadnt and as soon as i came off the antabuse i drank again...

If you use it to buy you time to recover through a program of your choice then i can confirm that i do know people that have gotten into recovery this way and it did work for them:-)
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Andreas View Post
Antabuse just makes you feel very sick when you drink alcohol. It stops normal metabolization of alcohol in your system. As a result, toxins accumulate in the body, and the more you drink, the worse you feel. Then you stop drinking because you can't take in any more. The whole amount of consumed alcohol is remarkably less when you are on Antabuse as compared to "pure" drinking. Drinking just becomes disgusting for you much earlier.
Um, that isn't exactly correct. Antabuse makes one SEVERELY ill if one takes even a BIT of alcohol (alcohol is easily absorbed, so even handling substances containing alcohol can trigger a physical reaction). One should never attempt to drink while on Antabuse.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you talked to your dr about the antabuse and that you are trying antidepressants. I needed to get my depression treated before I could recover. Personally, I would not take antabuse. I just don't see the point.