Notices

mild liver pains

Old 08-09-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

mild liver pains

Hi,

I ve been drinking for about 12 years now, never too heavy though. I had the mildest form of hepathytis when i was 11 yo. I am 30 now. the worse drinking was for several months , 3 times in 12 years, drinking every 2nd or 3rd day about 3 beers , 5 vodkas and another 3 beers in one night. I like to mix drinks and i do almost every time i drink. I dont consider myself a serious drinker, i never did, it never really got serious. But, every time i start drinking more heavily, after a week or two, i start feeling mild, numb pain in my liver, and my right leg and its really frustrating because i mean i am not a such a heavy drinker. Obviously i am worried, because its associated with drinking for sure, because as soon as i dont drink for 2 weeks the pain is gone. So, i am wondering how serious is this, i hope its not that bad , but i am worried as i realise it cant be good either.

Has anyone had similar experiences, can you give some diagnosys of where i am at the moment, should i completely stop now.

Thanks
Stev
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can't give you any medical advice (or a diagnosis) per forum rules. However, I strongly suggest you go see a doctor. I hope you start feeling better soon. This has to be super scary for you!
Old 08-09-2010, 01:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

We cannot give medical advice or diagnoses here but it does sound like something you should check out with your doctor. Depending on how much you drink, detoxing can be very dangerous. A doctor can help you with both of these issues.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wouldn't hurt to stop either:-) 6 beers and 5 vodkas in one night is something I would consider a heavy drinker, just saying.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

the last time i felt the same pain was 2 years ago when i was drinking more than usually , so i went to see doctor, and my liver was 1cm larger than normal. I felt the same pain every next day after drinking but then i went to the army and the pain was gone right away as there was no alcohol available. Now after 2 years , i am drinking more in the last month and its back, as i expected. I know i need to stop for a while i was just wondering if someone experienced the same as me, would like to know how serious is my condition at this stage. Obviously, the pain appears when drinking is more frequent, like last week i drank every day, like 1 bottle of wine a day, and here it is the pain, i mean ffs peole drink 2 bottles of vodka a day and dont feel sh it for years....sorry
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Everyone's chemical makeup is different. Some can run into physical problems fairly soon, while other appear to be able to drink for years before noticing any problems. I do encourage you to go see your doctor and let him know what's been going on.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Mat

Some people do drink bottles of vodka a day for years and develop no damage. It has a lot to do with genetics and environmental factors. Some people drink heavy on the weekends for 2 or 3 years and destroy their liver. Don't take things less seriously because of some legendary drinkers who were exceptions to the rules with respect to the health consequences.

You might also be an exception, in the exact opposite way.

Go to the doctor ASAP.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Stev
Another vote for the doctor from me - liver pain needs to be taken seriously.

D
Old 08-09-2010, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Not to make light of your medical issue, and I understand that you don't think you have a drinking problem even though you drink 11 drinks at a sitting 3 or 4 times a week, and occassionally drink a bottle of wine every night some weeks. But why would you come to a board made up of addicts and alcoholics and ask a question about your health?

You should see a doctor immediately, and maybe checkout one of the many web based site staffed by qualified doctors for future medical advice.

If you would like advice on how to quit drinking so your liver doesn't hurt anymore, you have come to the right place! Welcome!!

Last edited by Dee74; 08-09-2010 at 04:08 PM. Reason: deleted other forum link
Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

you are right Supercrew, i am not admitting to myself that i have a problem and perhaps i should, it shouldnt be too difficult for me to stop, and if its not working out i ll be back on here, my real forum should be gamblers anonimous, drinking is not a priority , now i think it should be. Good i quit drugs a few years ago, only 2 to worry about.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I suck at gambling, so it was hard for me to become addicted to sucking! But I guess there are forums for that as well!

Good luck, and I'm not sure whether drinking needed to be a priority for you was a good thing or a bad one, but either way, this is a good place to come if you need some support. Congrats on quitting the drugs!
Old 08-09-2010, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by stev011 View Post

... I like to mix drinks and i do almost every time i drink. I dont consider myself a serious drinker, i never did, it never really got serious. But, every time i start drinking more heavily, after a week or two, i start feeling mild, numb pain in my liver...
Maybe you don't consider yourself a serious drinker because you can't connect the dots between what you have just described and what you have just described.

Self-delusion works exactly like that. You just described the behavior of a serious drinker and separated yourself from it at the same time.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I'm Schizophrenic
And so am I

- Bill Murry -
Old 08-09-2010, 04:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

My vote is still go see a real live in person doctor - addict or not, your pain is real Stev.

D
Old 08-09-2010, 04:43 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sunny Side Up

Originally Posted by stev011 View Post
Hi,

I ve been drinking for about 12 years now, never too heavy though. I had the mildest form of hepathytis when i was 11 yo. I am 30 now. the worse drinking was for several months , 3 times in 12 years, drinking every 2nd or 3rd day about 3 beers , 5 vodkas and another 3 beers in one night. I like to mix drinks and i do almost every time i drink. I dont consider myself a serious drinker, i never did, it never really got serious. But, every time i start drinking more heavily, after a week or two, i start feeling mild, numb pain in my liver, and my right leg and its really frustrating because i mean i am not a such a heavy drinker. Obviously i am worried, because its associated with drinking for sure, because as soon as i dont drink for 2 weeks the pain is gone. So, i am wondering how serious is this, i hope its not that bad , but i am worried as i realise it cant be good either.

Has anyone had similar experiences, can you give some diagnosys of where i am at the moment, should i completely stop now.

Thanks
Stev
An Answer to your question, Stop Now!
Pain in the liver when you drink heavily! and then it stops after 2 weeks!. It has taken that long for your liver to repair again.
Im no expert but my sister died at the age of 41 last november from 'Liver failure due to alcoholism'. That was on the death certificate.
The day she died, most of her organs shut down because of it. You see, the process is slow but the end result is death.
Its very very serious, and the pains will get worse as you drink more. Your body is telling you something, hey? Maybe ask yourself why you binge drink and then feel that youre not a serious drinker. It doesnt matter how the booze goes down your throat, at the end of the day, You are here because you think you may have a problem. Do something about it now.
JJ
Old 08-09-2010, 05:14 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Doesn't matter if you're an 'alcoholic' or not, at the level you're drinking, your body isn't equipped to handle it. People die of liver disease and other alcohol related problems every day, I'm sure not all of them were alcoholics.

The liver itself has no pain receptors.. when people feel pain 'in the liver', it's often due to enlargement, or the fluid that it is giving off, causing pressure around the area. Obviously could be a whole host of other issues totally unrelated to your heavy drinking.

Please see a doctor.. you could find out it's nothing, or you could save your own life.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In the Alcoholism section of the forum, under the heading Alcoholism there is a thread titled "in a viscous/deadly cycle with my alcoholism" I highly suggest you read the first post. I can't link it from my phone so you have to navigate there yourself.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I do check with my doctor quickly
when I get pains.
If it is something serious....best to know
so the proper treatment can begin....

Welcome to SR...
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I drank 6-8 beers nightly for 9 years, I cut back to 2-3 a day for two years after that but was not enough for me to lose my fatty liver. I hardly drink at all now but I still get aches under my rib cage even after a couple weeks of not drinking anything. Many people dont have any symptoms until thier liver shuts down so be thankful that you are getting your warning and go get it checked out. It is true though that some peoples bodies are way more sensitive to alcohol than others.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

After reading many posts here, my post is really a joke. However, this is a such a usefull reading for someone like me, who is on the way to serious problems if i dont start being responsible now. Anyway, i had mild liver and right leg numbness last night, from my weekend drinking, and i was fine this morning, but when i had my cofee before eating anything i feel numbness in my right leg again. Is coffee bad for my liver? I know this is a joke for you guys, still i feel you guys can give the best diagnosys.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't treat your posts as a joke Stev...but I have to make the point again the best person to give you any kind of diagnosis about this is a doctor, not any of us.

According to our forum rules we can't give out medical advice here.

D