Notices

Hi

Old 08-08-2010, 06:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

First post. I have been through the process so many times I can not even count em,,,,,,,,,,,,Treatment 4 times meetins sobriety.......Then relapse. This last time I drank 30 packs of beer for a month and ended up in detox. My sister was worried and the cops took me for endangering my own safety. I was not tryin to kill myself but it might have happened cause I could not stop knowing what would happen when I did.......Shakes throwin up...all the fun stuff when your comin down....The kicker is I got a bill for 10,000 dollars for a 4 day stay...........Do not get me wrong they were very nice to me..But when I lsft they perscribed pills which my gf bought for 173 dollars ...No explanation to me or her on what they were for or anything. All of a sudden my feet were gettin numd and so were my fingers. I got scared for diebetes.But they had checked that at the hoaspital, So I got on the internet and checked the medication and there it was for side affects,,,,,,,,,,, also could lead to suicidal thoughts and not to operate anything......... Sorry I am ranting But As much as I appreciated them. I reaally ahev to wonder what is goin on. I have no insurance and its very discouraging. The only thing I really have taken from this that will help me stay sober is that I trully believe that I will die if I drink again and I am too selfish for that. I really like bein alive. Poor or not...........Ok I will be done for now.Thanx for listenin or readin or whatever.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Welcome, hotshot,

Yeah, those hospitalizations can be expensive--one of my exes wound up in one for a couple of weeks with severe withdrawal that almost killed him--he was in a coma for a week, his liver and kidneys shut down, horrible experience.

A couple of things: call the hospital to find out what the meds are for. You do not want to stop taking them without advice. Tell them your concerns.

I have slight numbness in my hands and feet still, after 2 years sober. There is a condition called alcoholic neuropathy that can cause that. All the more reason for you to STOP the drinking.

Talk to the billing office at the hospital. It may be that you will qualify for some kind of financial assistance to help pay for your stay. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Your reference to meetings sounds like you have been to AA. My suggestion is that you go back, and get into it like your life depends on it--because it very well may. The next relapse could be the one that kills you. I'm not being overly dramatic here--I've seen it happen.

The forums here are great for support in between meetings.

I did 90 meetings in 90 days. It's recommended. Get a sponsor--that's recommended, too. Listen at the meetings and when you hear someone share that you can really relate to, ask him to sponsor you. If he can't do it, ask for suggestions.

This is your life, and if you want it to be a long one, you need to get serious about this.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Hotshot! Sorry you have gotten to such a rough spot. I hope you can work somethin out with the hospital like Lexie suggested.

Sr is such a great resource I hope you stick around!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community.....

Do you have a plan for living sober?
Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi hotshot! You came here because you haven't given up. You know you can still have a good & happy life, in spite of the past. I hope you'll stay here and tell us more about yourself. We care about you.

I drank for many years - almost all my adult life - thinking I was protecting myself from stress & sadness. In the end, it ruled my life and I drank round the clock. I tried many times to control it & of course that failed every time. I know it's possible for you to turn things around and have the life you were meant to have. Keep reading and posting!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Hotshot,

This is a good place to be for you. Read around, decide how you are going to get sober and stay that way. Lots of options for you here.

Be strong and let us know what your plan is going to be.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Hey fellow Wisconsinite...welcome to SR. Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to quit. When you get so intoxicated as to be incapacitated, the police will take you into protective custody if they have contact with you. If you were kept in detox for 4 days they saw some dangerous things!

You will find a lot of support here. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:33 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I don't have any cool insight to offer you, other than to tell you it can be done and offer my sincere support.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome to SR.....keep reading and posting.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome hotshot

I agree you have a lot of really good reasons to quit - you'll find a lot of support here - welcome

D
Old 08-08-2010, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks .I think I will like it here. Unfortunately or fortunately we all have something in common.........I'm a month sober ,,,,,,,,Enjoying the sober life.One Day at a Time...The one thing I know now that I never really thought of before is that I am not invincible. ZNo matter how good of shape I get. It can all be taken away by one drink. That includes my life. I always thought of myself as someone who always bounced back..........and for the most part I did. But after this last one I think my bouncin days are over and the next bounce could be my last.............so......No More.............
Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Good for you. Surround yourself with all the support you can get.

No more bouncin'!!!
Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Treatment and the the assorted recommendations that come with it can be very expensive. What I find somewhat somewhat amusing is that when they are done with you (or the cynic in me says, when they have billed your insurance company for everything allowable) they usually recommend a 12 step program such as AA as a followup activity. In AA you throw a $1 in the basket when it goes around if you can afford it. It's cheaper, and in my opinion, better therapy.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The New Me starting 1/11/09

Welcome. Glad you are here.