Notices

17 Days

Old 08-05-2010, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

17 Days

Well, today is number 17, and I am going to count it even thought the day isn't done because it is almost over. I still haven't gone to a meeting, but I hope to soon. Things have just been very busy. Today, I thought about alcohol a bunch. I think it is partially because the w/d is over, so it doesn't seem so scary anymore. Thus, I should get some support before giving into those urges and cravings. Worst craving was about sixish, but I didn't act on it. So, I am happy about that. I just got back in the mindset of time to have a drink because I don't have to work tomorrow, and I have been working so hard, so I deserve a drink. Actually, what I deserve is to not poison my mind and body with alcohol. This is hard. Old habits die hard. Think I am going to read some about habit breaking as this is a physical and emotional addiction coupled with habitual decision making (for me at least). Can you work the 12 steps on here or how does that work?
Old 08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not doing AA so I will leave the 12 step question alone. I think it takes time to rewire your habitual thinking...I have heard three weeks to three months and considering the effort and work we put into acquiring this habit IMO it will take some time;-)
Old 08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on day 18 almost 19, I imagined using today too, plus I had a dream about my dealer coming to my door with free pills. I think that is what got my mind rolling. On top of that, my dealer left a message on the phone today, @X*^! It's hard but I find you have to keep busy; take a walk, come on here, or call somebody supportive. Good luck to you, it's nice to have someone near my start date
Old 08-05-2010, 10:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on day 17 nating.

Not sure what you mean exactly by
Can you work the 12 steps on here or how does that work?
We have several 12 step forums on SR - lots of AAers here to help you anyway

D
Old 08-06-2010, 07:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nating--Congratulations on the 17 days. If you believe you need support, please find it.

This forum [SR] is amazing, full of cool people who have a lot to offer. As Dee74 said, there are twelve step forums here on SR, too.

If you're looking to go to AA, though, but just can't make the meetings, have you looked into AA's online program? I've looked at this option but have never tried it.

This is the address: Online Intergroup : Alcoholics Anonymous

Support is out there. Grab it as soon as you can.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you on 17 days and for fighting the urge! I only went to AA a few times but I worked and continue to work the 12 steps on my own (my interpretation anyhow), the AA book is my 2nd most treasured book.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just wanted to comment on the "I'm rested up and well now, let's drink just a little" mindset. I know exactly what you mean, I did that SO SO many times. Each time I was magically and suddenly a normal drinker that could handle "just a six pack with pals". And I did, for awhile. But each and every single time I'd be right back where I was, awake=drinking. I finaly caved in and admitted to myself that I cannot control alcohol once I start, so the only answer is total abstinence. Best wishes to you!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

.....Well done on your sober time.

Chicago has many AA meetings....with various times.
Early on...I attended one before work in D.C.

I suggest you do find a local one for support and
Step work. Don't complicate your quest for
lasting sobriety.

All my best
Old 08-06-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Great job on 17 days! I'm on 7