Notices

Slip? Near Slip?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slip? Near Slip?

Yesterday was Day 22 and for no reason I had three sips of wine. I stopped, decided this wasn't what I wanted to do and didn't have any more and I'm not in a dangerous place for drinking today.

In part, I was feeling deprived by not drinking and then realized, no, I don't need to feel deprived because what I'm doing now I want more than drinking.

Anyway, confession of the day - you're only as sick as your secrets.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Well thank you for your confession. I'm glad you stopped after 3 sips and not 3 glasses. Celebrate the fact that you stopped, and forget that you sipped. I'm glad you are in a good place today. Stay strong!
Old 08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Congratulations on 22 sober days.

I wonder what made you decide to drink? Do you keep alcohol in your home or was it somewhere else? Just curious.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think Anna had some very valid questions. You might want to explore what triggered your slip/near slip so you can be on the lookout for that in the future.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah, alcohol was at home - there's none now.

Most likely I was halT - tired.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Personally I don't consider 3 sips a slip:-) I agree that you need to be careful about HALT...glad the wine is gone:-)

Keep on keeping on:-)
Old 08-05-2010, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm glad it's gone now, too. Hubby went out of town today, so I'm haLt - Lonely. But I'm safe anyway because there's nothing at home and I'm not going to be anywhere where there is.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you stopped. Learn from it and keep going. I have only had one sip of alcohol since I started my recovery almost nine months ago. I didn't do it on purpose. I ordered a tonic water at a restaurant, and the waitress brought it to me. I took one sip and knew there was alcohol in it. I went up to the bar and asked what it was, and they said vodka/tonic. They could tell I wasn't happy and apologized. Everyone makes mistakes. And I take most of the blame for that one. I learned to not trust what the waitress brings me. I personally watch everything I drink be poured now.

Keep going, one day at a time.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ethanol Intolerant

Wildflower, I bet you play a mean game of mumbly peg. You looked into the abyss and came back. I would not make it habit, but you should be proud of yourself.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Heathen

Personally, I would consider any purposeful drink of alcohol a restart in my recovery calendar. But we all work our recovery differently.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Mt!

Whatever happened it is so great that you came on here to tell us and that you are not letting a bump in the road take you down.

During one of my first days of sobriety my partner was drinking his normal cocktail and I was drinking a tonic water with a splash of cranberry; in the exact same size/shaped glass. The two beverages looked exactly the same.

Anyways I picked up what I thought was my glass and took a drink. After it had gone down my throat I realized........it was his drink and there was alcohol in it!

My thoughts began to race: Is that it? Am I done for? What now? Well, I told my mind to put a sock in it, found my glass, and continued on with my sobriety as if it had never happened.

Stay strong!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can you just say 23 days (minus 3 sips) ? As long as you don't keep taking three sips here and there, I think you should be ok. STAY STRONG!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you dumped the wine MTW. Think about what else you need to do too, if anything.

To me it's not about slips or near slips or sips or guzzles or whatever - when we indulge in old behaviours, it's a reminder how powerful this alcoholism is and how we always have to keep our selves on guard.

I know there will always be times I'm hungry angry lonely tired, in pain or whatever...it's up to me, up to all of us, to find new and better ways to deal with that.

D
Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think, for purposes of my own recovery, deliberately drinking any amount of alcohol would be a slip. Not a relapse, but definitely a slip. And that would be because I was deliberately poking at the beast of my addiction--teasing it, testing it. It would be a bad sign so far as my mental/emotional/spiritual state goes.

A hefty swallow of something alcoholic by mistake, OTOH, I would not consider a slip at all. I would probably eat/drink something else right away to get any lingering taste of it out of my mouth, and be a LOT more careful about what I picked up.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, for you support. I appreciate your concern and all your thoughts you've shared.

I'm not happy with what I did, but I'm happy with what I've learned, and I'm taking that part of it forward with me.

I've been doing some things well and some not-so-well and realize I need a new emergency behavior (mantra or deep breathing or jumping jacks or something) for when I'm feeling emotion I don't like and suddenly snap and want to drink to get rid of it (I realize now that this reaction is different from a regular ol' craving).

For me, I feel like this was kinda like needing rabies shots - you got bit, it's better than getting rabies, but it's no picnic itself and shouldn't be repeated.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

There ya go. Put it behind you--it was a silly thing to do, as you know.

No more poking the dragon!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jumping jacks are good, it releases endorphins...I used to do it when I got depressed.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This has made me rethink counting, too. For me, right now, it seems a bit like I'm counting up or down to something, when there's nothing to count - this is just how I (need to) live.

Gotta think about that more. Maybe while doing jumping jacks.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In a way its like counting days until you die...ick!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

or...you can see it commemorating a really important special day when we changed our lives

D