Notices

Rough day :(

Old 08-03-2010, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough day :(

This is the first really bad craving I've had and it's driving me crazy. Today is 10days without a drink, first few were really rough while I was detoxing and the past week had been pretty good but something has came over me today and I'ven had the urge to drink all day long.

Nothing triggerd it really, slept good, good day at work, had lunch with some friends, made a lot of head way on a project i've been struggling with at work for the past 3months, - maybe thats it? Now that i type it maybe that was it. I got a lot accomplished on something that's been stuck for the past 3months and maybe I want to get drunk to celebrate.

Whatever it isnt I'm not liking it. I was doing so well up unil today. Just one day at a time... I can do this... just not happy about it (at the moment).
Old 08-03-2010, 04:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I got a lot accomplished
Yep - that sounds right! I found the urges were almost stronger when I was really productive or happy. I guess I just wanted to stay happy or make it even better with a drink (?).

I've had those urges myself - had one just the other day (after about 3 months of sobriety) that knocked the rug out from under me. It was miserable and nothing seemed to distract me. But I didn't give in and it DID GO AWAY. I spent a whole day feeling scared, weak, and unsure whether I could do this. The next day it started going away slowly, but it took another day after that to completely get rid of the mental "hangover."

The good news is that once I got through it things were better than ever. I don't know why we have to endure such cruel times (because they really are awful), but even if we have one or two days like that a month, that's still nothing compared to the number of hours walking through hell just to have another drink.

Please hang in there. Stay close to SR and just keep reading until bedtime. It really will get better. Prayers and positive thoughts coming your way. And make a little gratitude list in your mind of what IS good...........:ghug3
Old 08-03-2010, 04:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

It sure could be that, that you want to reward yourself.

It could also be because you're over the worst and feeling better, and it could be a part of you is thinking 'Is this all there is?'

Either way, hang in there. You know how far you've come in the last ten days, and you can get through this craving. Next time will be easier.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think it's the way our addiction chimes in, like...ok, were having fun and feeling great!! Lets booze it up and we'l really be set!! Just try to think through the whole experience and where it would lead. Don't just think of the first drink and the brief joy..think of the misery that follows. Another detox would follow also!!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you're struggling.

I have had a few days like that this past week where the urge just came over me so strong. I'm really struggling today also.

Last week, I had a really bad urge but I kept doing positive things for my recovery and even though it was hard to distract myself from the stubbornness of that urge, I got through it and I was so thankful.

Urges are temporary, the satisfaction of overcoming the temptation is lasting and feels so much better!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

hey gcc...I used to lose it due to that feeling. Hang in there, and stay strong - you're on the right track.

Keep reaching out here too - you can do this

D
Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks everyone

Your kind words always go a long way. Tonight has been scary how close I came to pouring that drink, I had a bottle of rye in my hand about a dozen times but didnt do it. Craving hasnt passed but I'm starting to feel good that I didnt just toss my 10days away like they were nothing.

I've realized just now that I need a lot more help then I had thought, i'll be checking out some meetings this week for sure, this is a step I havent made yet but I think I need to.

I thought I could do this on my own but
Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Its ok if you can't do it on your own... as long as you DO it! Your 10 days are something to be proud of. I know you wouldn't want to start at day 1 again. I only have 4 days, and I sure don't want to go back, although I've been close. Stay strong and keep talking.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by julez View Post
Its ok if you can't do it on your own... as long as you DO it! Your 10 days are something to be proud of. I know you wouldn't want to start at day 1 again. I only have 4 days, and I sure don't want to go back, although I've been close. Stay strong and keep talking.
thank you, and congrats on 4days! It really does get easier as time goes on, this is the toughest day for me yet but when I take a step back it really isnt all that bad. And I've had so many great sober days, all this in just a week and a half.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There's a sweet irony in cravings. Only alcoholics have cravings. Normal (whatever that is) drinkers don't experience cravings. When I have cravings that voice in my head tries to convince me I'm not an alcoholic and just one would be OK but, if I wasn't an alcoholic I wouldn't be having the craving. Don't listen to the voice. Listen to and learn from the craving. Do ANYTHING BUT DRINK to get through it.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There's a sweet irony in cravings. Only alcoholics have cravings. Normal (whatever that is) drinkers don't experience cravings. When I have cravings that voice in my head tries to convince me I'm not an alcoholic and just one would be OK but, if I wasn't an alcoholic I wouldn't be having the craving. Don't listen to the voice. Listen to and learn from the craving. Do ANYTHING BUT DRINK to get through it.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ooops! Sorry for the duplicate post. Just can't get enough of myself. . .