Notices

For AA's and prospective AA's.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

For AA's and prospective AA's.

This is just a little story I thought I'd share. It's one of those things that makes some people say "wow".

Last week my brother in law suffered the loss of his mom. She was 82 years old and had a very kind soul. She died from complications subsequent to a broken pelvis. She had 4 children and was married to a good man for many years. She was a quiet woman who exuded peace, patience and love. She enjoyed much of her time on paintings and other artsy things. Some of her work was exhibited at the wake I attended tonight. The urn, which contained her ashes, was there on a table and sitting right in front of the urn was a medallion. I picked it up and looked at the shiny silver and gold piece of medal. If I remember right, it had a triangle on one side and on the other it had the words "To thine own self be true." I knew instantly that it was from AA. In the center on the bottom of one side there was a number written in golden Roman numerals.

That number was XXXII.

She had at least thirty two years of sobriety. I just shook my head and said, "wow".

Congratulations, Jean!

Rest in peace.
You did it!
You made it happen.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry for your loss Ken, but good to see you back round these parts

D
Old 08-02-2010, 09:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

It's always amazing to hear examples of long-term sobriety like that. My mind can't even conceive of something like that, as that's longer than I've been alive (I'm 29). And who knows if I'll ever reach that length of time; I try not to think ahead like that. But knowing that others have gone that long without a drink gives me strength to get through the next day. Almost like instilling a mentality of, "Well, if this person can do it, there's absolutely no reason I can't."

Sorry for your family's loss, Ken, but thanks for sharing this bit of inspiration with us. I'd hope she would be happy that she can still have a positive impact on people even though she's no longer with us.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

I'm sorry for you and your families' loss Ken. Like Snarf wrote though...she will help affect so many people, and many people may stay sober because of her inspiration.

GOD rest her soul.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thank you for sharing that, Ken. It made me stop and say a prayer for all of us, especially for those that are still struggling. What a great story.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I kept thinking....A life well lived
Thanks Ken for sharing a bit of Jean with us.

Prayers for peace for all who love Jean