Notices

Gaining weight...

Old 08-03-2010, 05:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

This is a great topic. When I was hooked on alcohol I gained SOOOOO much weight it was crazy. As soon as I stopped I started eating normally and I lost all the weight.

Now, I am coming off of Adderall; when I am on adderall I have no appetite whatsoever. I went from about 150 lbs (I am almost 5'8) to 120 lbs. I have gained so much weight I don't want to get on the scale and haven't.

When I tell my husband I feel fat; he says he rather have a fat wife than a dead wife (from adderall).

My biggest problem is that i always have to have a can of monster juice in my hand at all times. I go through like 5 cans a day; 1000 calories... I have to reduce or eliminate the juice and start eating right.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The big part of your story is the part about 22 days sober not the pounds that have crept up on you. Don't lose your focus. Right now just fight one battle at a time..., and have fun riding! There's a biker section on this site if you scroll down far enough and we don't care what you weigh at the moment. We do care that tomorrow becomes day 23!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Larkspur View Post
I would tell your husband that it might be easier to get off your *ss if he would get off your back first.
LOL. I usually just get mad at him and stop talking to him for a little while. He never puts 2 + 2 together, but oh well.

I was thinking about this last night, and decided that I am going to make a couple changes starting today. I am a coffee fein, but always have cream and sugar in my coffee. So today, I bought milk and "the pink sugar" and a pound of coffee and brought it to my office. This way, I won't have to stop in the morning and get a coffee, which will save me money and calories. Also, instead of bringing a diet coke to work, I brought a can of Diet Nestea Iced Tea, which is a start. But, I do also have a large water bottle at my desk now too, and we have a water cooler. So that should help with my water intake and cutting out the Pop (which is always diet when I drink it).

The AA meeting that I *should* be going to every night is only a few blocks away from my house, and I did walk to it once, but it's been so rainy and wet here, and then so muggy, the bugs come out like crazy and I got bitten up. Which really made me not want to walk there. But, yesterday I did notice that they aren't so bad during the day, so I want to try to start getting my butt in gear and taking my dog for walks after work. She loves walks (and pulling the leash LOL), and she has also packed on a little weight. The difference is that the gain was been good for her because she was always so skinny that you could see her ribs a bit. But not anymore.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:50 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey Trixie, I'm not much further along than you–day 38. My cravings and weight have been up and down and totally unpredictable since I stopped drinking. The first few weeks I was insatiable–eating sugar and full meals (when I was drinking I was more of a picker, barely ever finishing a whole plate). I hate the gym but I love walking so I've been walking everywhere and feel like my appetite has calmed down a little. Listen to your body is all I'm trying to say–after years of alcohol abuse, it takes some time to get back in equilibrium. Congrats on sober time!!
Old 08-03-2010, 08:52 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I gained about 25 lbs my first year of sobriety as eating was never important to me when I was drinking; I craved sweets and since my main concern was my sobriety I didn't worry about the weight gain at all that first year, your priorities need to be straight. I've now lost all that weight as like another said by giving up all sugar products and now I go to the gym 5-6 days a week to make sure I keep the weight off. Feeling healthy and fit is the most amazing thing I've ever felt, don't know why it took me until I was in my 50s to realize that.