Notices

Something's wrong

Old 08-03-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Something's wrong

Hi everyone. This is first I've reached out to a forum. I'm worried about my brother. He was always kind of a weird guy, quiet and a little quirky, but I'm wondering if he's messed himself up with drug use. He's failing out of school again. It's been like 3 colleges now. Fails out every time. Fights with all of us in the family. But what's really weird is that his head seems messed up. You can ask him a question and he'll look at you weird and then give an answer that's from outer space. He talks a lot, but not a lot of it makes sense. He misses connections, it seems. This isn't how he always was. Plus, he gets really intense sometimes at odd moments and doesn't always seem to understand what you're talking about. I realize that I'm going to have to straight up ask him sometime, but before I approach him with anything I just want to hear some opinions from others. I knew a couple of guys who'd done too much ecstasy and messed their head up and that's kind of what he acts like. Any opinions or links to more info would be super.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you can talk to your brother in a non-confrontational way, that could be helpful.

But, I suspect he will react defensively, so you should be prepared for that.

Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I would suggest to post this in the forums for "Friends and Family of Alcoholics or "Substance Abuse." They may have a lot more help there.

Harry
Old 08-03-2010, 03:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found the FFSA forum, worrier
Welcome to SR

D
Old 08-03-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Sorry to hear about your brother, worrier. I agree that it might be helpful to talk to him about it (in a non-judgemental way). Tell him that you're concerned about him and ask if there's anything you can do to help. That way, he might open up to you a little.

You may be right about this being an issue of drug use. On the other hand, there are other possibilities (mental health issues) that often show up in the teens or twenties. What about your parents - have they addressed the issue at all?