SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Stressed out (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/206320-stressed-out.html)

BrokenChains 08-02-2010 02:49 PM

Stressed out

I'm so stressed out from trying to find a job and no luck yet. And my bills are all due and I'm stressing over what I am going to do.

Sorry to vent, I just needed to get it out.

At least I'm sober and can try to figure things out.

artsoul 08-02-2010 04:35 PM

Hi BC (I like your name, by the way!)

When I was just a week or two sober, I was facing not being able to pay my bills and the stress was so great I couldn't eat or sleep for days. I feared asking my elderly parents for assistance, but finally had to share with them the position I was in. Being a single mom with two kids still living here, I didn't want to lose my house.

They were able to give me a little temporary help. After that I called the bank and it was suggested that I consider refinancing, which I did. That will enable me to go for another month or two and I got out a little money to start my own website, which I had been putting off for years.

This month has still been tight, but now that I have 3 months of sobriety, I feel as though I can handle more than I ever could while I was drinking. I've done a bit of praying, too, which can't hurt!

This may be of no help to you, but I just wanted to share my own experience. I'm sure there are a LOT of people who get sober and stay that way even when finances are terrible. I hope you find something soon. I'll include you in my prayers. Good luck and don't drink over it!!!!!!!!!!!!

LexieCat 08-02-2010 04:35 PM

I'm sure that IS very stressful. You are right on, though--it's much better to be dealing with this with a clear head than one that is all clouded up by booze.

One thing I've heard is that if you are afraid you might run into a problem with paying your bills while you are unemployed, it's better to let the creditors know sooner rather than later. Some will give you a month or two grace period, others might reduce your minimum payment for awhile. You don't want to ruin your credit by just ignoring it.

Keep plugging away--something will come through. Have you checked out temp agencies? They have been great for me during temporary periods of unemployment--and sometimes they lead to actual job offers.

Dee74 08-02-2010 05:18 PM

It may be different in the States, but I always find if I call my creditors right away - preferably not leaving it until the bill is nearly due or overdue, we can always work out a payment plan or grace period.

good luck BC.
D

Time4me2Change 08-02-2010 05:29 PM

Im right there with you. I lost my job in the beginning of June....economy sucks. Husband with Ford Lincoln Mercury for 20yrs....laid off in Oct.

We both had stressful positions... it was ugly sometimes.

I started drinking extremely heavy after he lost his job. I hit rock bottom, but, with his support, Im making my way back up. Soon to be three months sober for me, I find peace right now. Yes money is tight but we are hanging in there. For now it is one day at a time and I am enjoying every sober one of them. Try to look at all the good things around you. Focus on the positives. That is what we are doing and its working. Both of us are happier than we have been in a long time.

I wish you the best of luck.

Anna 08-02-2010 05:42 PM

Dee is right, that you may be able to contact your creditors and try to work out some kind of deal that will work for you.

I'm sorry you're going through this.

BrokenChains 08-03-2010 05:12 PM

Thanks everyone. Please send me good thoughts and/or prayers that the job hunt is successful!

Mel8899 08-03-2010 06:01 PM

I lost my job in March. I wound up filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Not my proudest moment, but some relief. I am also walking away from my house. I feel what you are going through.Hang in!

BrokenChains 08-03-2010 06:05 PM

Thanks Melissa, I hope things get better for you as well.