Notices

When do people stop counting?

Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

When do people stop counting?

Ok, so its early days for me right now, and adding up days makes me smile.

I can see a time in the future where counting days turns into counting months which turns into counting years. Is this accurate? If so when do these shifts typically occur?

Just curious.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

In AA, where I am, anyway, usually chips are given at one month, two months, three months, four months, five months, six months, one year, two years, etc. I usually note to myself the half-year mark, but I don't announce it.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Snarf Snarf

I'm a bit over 4 months without a drink. I was able to tell you the exact day (Day 24, 47, 90, etc) up until I hit about 110 or so. I guess I could add it up real quick, but now if people ask how long I've been without a drink, I say "4 months." I reckon it'll be on a monthly basis until I reach a year; don't know how I'll count at that point.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

as was put to me, it's not the time, it's the quality,

and to remember our sobriety date,

as if we forget that, we may fall back into old ways.

good wishes LF

rz
Old 08-02-2010, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think I will always Count, it pushes me further even though Im a Newcomer to this. Every Day I am Sober makes me feel that much Better!
Old 08-02-2010, 04:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I counted the way the beginner's meeting I go to counts.... months up to a year, then years
Old 08-02-2010, 04:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've noticed a switch though, a lot o people who are sober for a long time talk months and years.

I know its abou quality not quantity. I look forward to being a little old lady and when people ask me how long I've been sober...I'll go "gosh dearies, its been so long I'm not exactly sure, but the last time I drank was when Spain beat Holland in the World Cup."

:-)
Old 08-02-2010, 04:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm....I stopped counting after 30 days I think....I looked forward to each milestone from then on......60, 90, 6mths, 1 year, however I didnt remember to pat myself on the back at 18mths but look forward to hitting the 2 year mark in october. I cant see myself forgetting that one!
Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

i printed out a blank calendar and keep it on my work desk. early on i couldn't wait to mark a big blue X on the day and write the number in the lower right corner.

on mondays i got to mark a couple.

now i might forget and have mark several to keep up.

i like the fact that it's a reminder of where i've been. i can see me stopping at my year mark but i don't think i'll ever forget the date of sept. 8th. i started living again.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Well, to the extent people talk "months and years", I could say that I have a year and eleven months if someone were to ask me. I've been saying "close to two years". It really doesn't matter. I wouldn't say "two years" until I've GOT two years, but beyond that, it isn't important.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

The date I started day one is probably more important to me than my biological birthday...but it's no longer constantly on my mind as x years, x months, x weeks and x minutes.

That was important to me when I was still not entirely convinced I could pull this whole sobriety thing off...the count was something real and tangible and reassuring I guess...but gradually I gained in faith that this would be my new way of life...and counting became less and less important.

D
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm always going to count in days. 27 years from now I'll be able to update everyone on my 10,000 days sober!

Seriously though, I'm just starting out like you and enjoy counting the days!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started counting when I quit drinking on New Years Day 2004. I counted days, and for the fun of it hours. Then I relapsed last summer (and a few times since) after 5+ years. Now I'm not really paying much attention, my current streak of 100+ days falls way sort of my previous streak of somewhere around 2000 days, that makes me a bit sad.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I too am looking forward to the time when I'll say, "Gee, I'm not sure how long it's been. I'll have to think about it". But for now, it was 5 months on Sunday. *****!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Karma Amputee

I stopped actively keeping track of it after one year.

During that first year I always knew how many days at first, then months.

That doesn't mean I'm not now aware of generally how long it been, and I do know my anniversary date of course so I can always do the math but I have replaced counting sober days with simply living them. But on the flip side, I am acutely aware of the fact that my two year anniversary is coming up fairly soon.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Congrats Emmy!

Zebra, i don't know I this will make you feel better but I'm still impressed with your accomplishments...if yiu dif it once you can do it again, and this time you'll know somethin you didn't know last time!
Old 08-02-2010, 06:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Is this accurate?
How it plays out for me, LaFemme, is that I get up in the morning and start my day by getting spiritually centered. Then I go through my day doing my best to live by spiritual principles, seeking guidance frequently. At the end of my day, I do a little review and see where I may have come up short in the practice of these principles.

And every so often I may notice that another year has gone by. It's a secondary recognition. What is way more obvious and up front is that my life has never been so full and gratifying, even when circumstances dictate otherwise.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Today is day 10 for me, I look forward to not even having to keep track someday!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:07 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

For me personally, dates don’t mean much. I do better staying sober if I get up every morning with a real desire to stay sober THAT day! Several years ago I got sober so long that I forgot it was a daily thing. Found myself at a wedding reception with a drink in my hand- That started the vicious cycle all over again! Now I wake up saying "Lord help me stay sober TODAY". It seems to be working!!
Old 08-02-2010, 07:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
The Long Climb

I relapsed once and since then I have not counted the days. I remember the date but that's all.

The nice part about having years of sobriety for me, is having days fly by where I forget that DOC even exists. I remember early on in sobriety wondering if I ever would live a day without craving... Turns out, months go by where DOC doesn't even cross my mind.